Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith BSR B Custom 5

mcgraham

[b]SOLD SOLD SOLD[/b]

Hey all,

I'm afraid a sad moment has arrived, I feel that it is best for me to move on what seems to be forever known as bassjamm's Smith. This baby is an absolute beauty and I'm marginally worried I'm going to regret selling it on in some respects, but I know it's for the greater good.

This is a Ken Smith bass, BSR B Custom, it is not a US custom made bass however it may as well be. It is beautifully constructed, incredibly solid and sounds great. Martin Petersen at the gallery was stunned as to how low the action was after setup. This is far and away the most wonderful bass to play I've ever played or owned. I demand a lot from my instruments in terms of playability feel and construction, this bass has delivered every step of the way. Unfortunately, I am not the man for this bass.

The specs are:

KS ... see above
5 string, currently tuned EADGC
34" scale
Bolt on
5 piece laminate maple and walnut neck (maple with walnut stringers)
Rosewood fingerboard w/ mother of pearl inlays
Bookmatched solid flame maple body (I'd say AAA but I am not qualified to put such things)
Ken Smith quick release bridge (16mm, I suggest you try narrower spacing if you're a real advocate of fingerstyle, there's nothing quite like it)
2 Ken Smith J45 humbucking jazz pickups
Ken Smith defeatable 2 band eq
Controls: Volume, Blend, Treble, Bass
Custom made ebony finger ramp at the gallery
Setup and cleaned in the summer at the gallery

It comes with the Smith hard case you see in the photos and a Smith strap that has a sheepskin pad, which i think is a nice touch, straplocks on that too.

Reasons for selling? I know this is one of the first instruments I've decided to move on but I feel inclined to inform any potential buyers as to why I'm not keeping it. It has what me and bassjamm both agreed on as a unique Smith tone, but also akin to Fodera, try it and you'll see. In my opinion, it gets that Garrison tone without any tweaking. For those very reasons I can't keep it. It is a definite keeper but definitely for someone else. I've realised that I'm a jazz bass man at heart.

For those of you who are interested in a sale, I'm after what I've invested in it, which (rounded down) comes to 800 pounds (+ shipping although collection is preferable).

[s]For those of you who are interested in a trade, hit me with your offers, I'm open to pretty much anything (within reason), you never know what may tickle my fancy. I will reply to any and all messages so don't fret about not getting a reply. [/s] [b]No longer open to trades, thanks for all the offers, but I'm looking for a straight sale, I've realised I've got all the bass(es) I need[/b]

Here are pics below, I'm based in Nottingham, please don't hesitate to message with any questions or offers or anything.

Mark

Pics below (and once more I apologise for the graininess for the full size pics, maybe I should add that as my signature...)

[attachment=3652:IMAGE_040.jpg]

[attachment=3651:IMAGE_039.jpg]

[attachment=3650:IMAGE_038.jpg]

[attachment=3649:IMAGE_037.jpg]

[attachment=3648:IMAGE_036.jpg]

[attachment=3654:IMAGE_042.jpg]

[attachment=3653:IMAGE_041.jpg]

Edited by mcgraham

SUPERB bass! I am not sure if David (Eubassix) replied to your post about a trade for the Carvin/Marleaux but I am afraid he said he isn't a fan of Smith basses. I am sure this will sell quickly though, have a free bump!

PM replied to.

Thanks for the bump Ped, no worries about the Marleaux, it's all good :) It is indeed a superb bass, such a shame I can't keep it.

Mark

EDIT: Sorry, is anyone else not seeing the number of view counts on this thread? It clearly should be above 0 and yet doesn't seem to be changing... tres bizarre!

Edited by mcgraham

Are these sepia photos, or has the bass been refinished (coloured)?...

I remembered it more like this:-

.... it's true that I'm not a fan of the 'Burner' / budget Smiths but this does look a nice example (you didn't see flame like this generally, from what I recall).. and I do like Ken's high-end models (.. just don't like the prices!)..

Best of luck with the sale Mark

Hey bud,

They have come out a little browner than hoped, but that's just the lighting in my apartment. Those are better examples of the flame, I can shove them up if anyone wants pics of what I originally opted for. The ones I put up primarily show the ramp and whatnot.

Thanks for the plug! I've been pondering/gassing for a MM all afternoon, I love the finesse and feel of my jazz, but somehow I think I'd prefer a Stingray over the Sterling, just want a beast y'kno!

Mark

Hi man...it's a shame to see you moving this bad boy on!!

But, as stupid as this may sound...are you interested in a trade with my F Bass, obviously there would be a cash difference in my favour, but i miss the Smith badly man, and the F Bass isn't my weapon of choice anymore!!!

Probably being a bit opptimistic asking that, but there's no harm in doing so :)

Hope you're getting on ok in Nottingham by the way!

J

Hey Jamie,

I'd love to get together and give your Fbass another shot with the view to perhaps making a move on it, I'd have to consider the extra cost though as I'm wanting to keep the bank balance going up rather than staying the same or dropping and a Schroeder is in my immediate future.

Could you drop me a PM or a post with what you were thinking and also the specs on your ex-weapon of choice, just to need to refresh my memory. Pics are always good too :)

Getting on well in Notts my friend, how's Grantham? still treating you well?

Mark

Grantham is as same as ever my friend!!! Glad you're getting on ok in Notts, what area are you living in?

Right, specs:

34.5" scale
Ash body
Maple neck and fingerboard
Mandolin frets
Black ceruse finish
F Bass Humbucking/single coil pick-ups
F Bass 3 band EQ (active/passive mode, tone know, humbucker/single coil push/pull knob, seperate pickup volume control like on passive jazz basses)
Finger spacing is a little wider than the Smith, think it's 19mm, but as you may remember, it still shreds comfortably!

Think that's about it, anything else, just ask my friend. I've got it advertised at £1450 for a sale, so the difference would obviously need to be made up upon negotiation etc. I understand what you mean about the bank balance though :)

Pics should be able to be seen on my myspace mate (see signature)...my camera is being a little uncooperative to say the least at the moment, so i can't post any for the time being, sorry mate!

Jam

Just had a look online at the Studio 5 specs, that's 20 frets. beautiful :)

Oh and just as a plug for your bass, that thing has a fantastic tone and (almost even better than that) is PERFECTLY balanced. Honestly, I didn't even know it was physically possible to have a bass sit on you the way that thing does.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

20 frets indeed young man!!! I e-mailed George at F Bass a while back about it...it's essentially a pimped up Jazz bass...hooray for pimped up jazz basses :)

And as for the youtube vid...it's close from what i remember, but Mark and i both agreed at the time that it came close to what we both loved about the sounds of Garrison, Tony Grey, Janek Gwizdala etc...it also sounds amazing strung E - C and feels so right like that, i don't know how Mark has it strung, but i loved it with the high C!!!

Jam

I do indeed have it strung E to C, sounds great strung that way. Although I use it in my own stuff and hear lines that make use of it (chords, guitar parts etc) when in groups and live performance, that's not why I'm there, I'm there to hold down the bass function and I wouldn't have it any other way. So it's either a 4 or a 5 strung EADG, BEAD or BEADG for me. And considering that at this time I'm not used to having a lower tuned additional string below my low E it may be time to admit that I'm a four banger man at heart.

I like the tone on that bass too, it is quite similar to mine, perhaps a little bit more representative of a jazz than a Smith, but even that isn't what I'm after.

Mark

Bumpitty bump bump BUMP

[s]Could do with seeing this move on now, taking up space in my bedroom and with-holding valuable finances from my bank. I'll even throw in a bit of fairy dust and talent, siphoned from the essence of John Patitucci.[/s]

ON HOLD/SOLD pending meeting and payment.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham