Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass 500w & what lightweight cab??

Chest Rockwell

Hi all, apologies for dragging on about the TB, but at the end of the day, you guys know the answers, so...

I'm looking to chase up a TB 500 when I can get hold of good deal, or maybe just splash out on a new one (since the general postage/price/warranty gap between new and 2nd hand isn't a dealmaker)... but im not sold on the cab. I like the size and idea of these Barefaced Compacts but Im not sure what else is out there at £450, or cheaper at 2nd hand. Im basically looking for portability and basic looks as its easier to store mine in the lounge (with or without a throw!). those Orange cabs do look damn nice but im not sure if they're out of my price range. I really dont want to go over £900 for the lot, and the likes of £800 means I can tile my kitchen floor! so many things to pay for!

im playing standard C# and drop D tunings in two bands, heavy stoner stuff, if it sounds like Sabbath, we'll use it :rolleyes:, using a Geddy Lee Fender and a Big Muff, not that I really fuzz it up much. i like a bit of bass in my bass :). My old Peavey BW300 combo is fine sound and power-wise, but it's a hassle to lug around. when we're gig ready i really dont wanna have to squeeze it up staircases!

Hmm, I was looking for something similar and plumped for a Mesa powerhouse 210. Stack it vertically and it'll be fine for most small gigs and also it's quite light for what it is and what it sounds like. I'm picking up the Orange head next Thursday so I'll tell ya how I get on! :)

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='828032' date='May 4 2010, 11:19 PM']cheers man, please do. I see there's a lot out there but not a lot of difference, unless i had all the gear here to plug, play and fiddle with:( Trace Elliots/TC Elec's/Mesa Powerhouse, SVT amps?!?![/quote]

Will do mate. Currently have been pairing the Mesa with my 400+ and it sounds pretty mighty, so it'll be interesting to see how the Orange fairs. Another reason I suggested the Mesa 210 is they do turn up at quite a reasonable price second hand. I got mine for £250 IIRC.

Ta!

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='829627' date='May 6 2010, 02:26 PM']bit heavy for me. and has that 'on stage' [b]but not 'hmm thats nice' in the living room kinda vibe [/b]:rolleyes:[/quote]

you tart :)

innit!! i've been camping in my house for 3 years and when i eventually get new flooring and a decent sofa after all the stripping, cementing, plastering, DIY, rewiring, kitchen, blah blah, i fancy a pretty little amp in the corner that i dont have to cover with a throw or something. ladies like pretty things, and i like ladies :)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

[quote name='ashevans09' post='829873' date='May 6 2010, 06:02 PM']Now that is rather gorgeous[/quote]

reminds me of the early b/w Flash Gordon! I like that but dunno if I want the set in my house :rolleyes:

It appears that the forces of common sense are moving towards the Barefaced and a throw!! Appears concensus is that the Oranges simply dont 'move as much air'.

:)

I have a Terror Bass head and I was able to try out a few cabs with it.
Firstly, I tried an Ashdown 1 15" and a 2 10".
The sound out of these was very good. The 15 was too thin on the highs for my taste. The 210 was good, I got a nice organic tone out of both of these cabs.
I then tried a Trace 210. This really impressed me. There was not a huge difference between it and the Ashdowns but there was a difference. For me, it sounded a little sharper and clearer while still retaining the Orange crunch.
I tried Orange cabs as well, a 115 and 210 or 410 im not sure. They were surprisingly small and light, matched up with the amp and were rather pretty tbh (for the ladies :) ). The sound out of these matched up with the cab very well; clear but strong but there was just something about them that put me off, I think they made my bass sound cheap, maybe I just like some colour on my tone.
I got a Trace 210 second hand in the end, immensely happy with it.
I hope this helps in your search.

I was wondering about this for a while too, bought the amp and thought I'd save up and get the cab later.
I tried the Orange SP ones, sounded ok but just kinda expected a bit more for the money really. The 410 was tempting me but then I looked on GAK and the price had gone up from £630 to £730 - wtf?

The Barefaced Midget looked like the best option, not tried one but folks on here reckon the two compliment one another really well, they're diddy and weigh feck all. It seemed like you get pretty good service too - a months trial to make sure its what you want. Worth a look.

In the end an Eden Nemesis 4x10 came up for a good price locally. 500w 8 ohms, is surprisingly small for a 4x10 and only weighs 50 odd pounds I think. Sounds wicked as well and should be plenty loud enough for pretty much any gig - sorted.

Thanks guys. in the end I decided to go for Jack London's Barefaced Compact, simply because it's the one with the least questions as to it's performance, it's the lightest, the price for it and the TB still under £850, and the speed with which I can get this new rig into my grubby mitts. I picked up the TB in Gamlins, Cardiff for £450 and should get the Compact by middle or the end of next week. If at a later stage I meet a cab or gear that suits better, then I can always readvertise. If I ever meet an Orange cab, I'll be sure to try em tho :)

Cheers all!

I believe the only way you'll achieve a similar loudness with those smart power ones is 2 of those 2x10s but that's expensive.

The only orange bass cab I'd feel comfortable with is the OBC 115, but it won't be as loud or light as the compact.

But lol at the bass off idea.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='832044' date='May 9 2010, 11:30 AM']I believe the only way you'll achieve a similar loudness with those smart power ones is 2 of those 2x10s but that's expensive.

The only orange bass cab I'd feel comfortable with is the OBC 115, but it won't be as loud or light as the compact.

But lol at the bass off idea.[/quote]

The OBC wont be as light as the compact, without a doubt. BUT, I did test the two side by side when Alex sent Compacts out for the baschatters to try out. Only briefly though.

It was certainly a LOT lighter, but the sizes were similar.

I wouldnt say one was louder than the other...very similar. Not only that, the Orange, as per the Tom Bowlus 1x15 shootout, has a really nice high end despite the facts its a 1x15 and has no horn.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='832173' date='May 9 2010, 01:39 PM']If wieght wasn't an issue and looks were I probably would have gone for the orange 1x15 as the orange tolex ghee me a small crisis. But after lugging around my guitar rig and being bent over at work hurts my back.[/quote]

I dont blame you haha. The weight is pretty immense on most the Orange gear. The guitar PPC412....that is a killer.