Why become a member? ×

To refinish or not

steviedee

I have a black stingray I bought in 87 it's a great bass and I love it but I had during the time I thought I was going to be a rock'n'roller (I'm not) and treated it in a careless fashion.

The bass has been through the wars with nicks and bad buckle rash, I've no intention of ever flogging it but now I am a sensible bass playing adult I've been wondering whether to leave it in it's current state, it still looks cool or get it refinished and looking newish again.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get the bass refinished and should I do it in the first place?

I have my late 80s bass still too & have just had to buy a new neck for it. A refinish does affect resale value but this is a point seriously undermined by owning a genuine keeper. I considered refinishing mine too & it may yet happen. Expect to pay around £300+

This seems to be the standard Basschat approved link

[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/links.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/links.htm[/url]

The thought of a re-finish has crossed my mind a few times, (Ive worked in auto body over 12yrs so no my way around paint) so doing it myself wouldn't be a problem.
I brought this in the state it is now a few months ago, the damaged goes a bit further that a few scratches, "buckle rash from hell !!!" but its only cosmetic and just adds character to the bass, its been used an just slightly abused... And in the few months Ive had it Ive already put some personal history on it.

I was thinking "Powder Blue" , fill in the creases an it will be like new again , but that was only a 5 second's fleeting thought, cause when i see it in this light....

All i want to do it play it !!! ( I Couldn't paint over that beautiful burst!!)
"It is what it is to quote the phrase"!!!
But at the end of the day its your bass, and if you want to put your mark on it then do it and don't think about the what ifs of selling it later
Its yours so enjoy it !!!

I wouldn't refinish the bass, if you've had it a long time with no intention of parting with it, then that's the bass folk know and love. If it is refinished then it ceases to be recognisably yours and somehow looses some character.

Furthermore, these damaged sections help the wood to dry out and further improves the tone IMHO.

So no, I wouldn't refinish it. I would only ever, refinish a bass that has already been refinished once before.

Davo

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='832066' date='May 9 2010, 11:57 AM']The other thing to consider is that covering your bass in thick new coats of new paint & lacquer can affect the sound to a certain extent. If you love the sound of the bass as it is, leave well alone. :)[/quote]

That's a point I really do love the sound of the bass and prefer it to my other basses as it's much warmer, maybe through all the years of use and abuse, maybe best left alone.