Why become a member? ×

how to sort light scratches?

hagguy

i've got my esp up for sale at the moment and i think it
would sell if i could get the finish looking spot on

what happened to the finish is, pick marks. they arn't deep
just surface. i've seen scratch remover for cars and t-cut but
i'm not sure if there is something similar for guitar finishes.
i have listed the damage in the ad but would like to get it back to
it's best even if i dont get rid of it. any help would be appreciated.

thanks ian

[quote name='neepheid' post='827634' date='May 4 2010, 04:47 PM']I use T-Cut on guitar bodies. I would have no qualms about using it on a modern poly finish. Obviously don't use it on oiled/waxed finish.[/quote]

its a really shiney finish looks to bright to be nitro, most likely poly
honestley didn't think t- cut would work does it not come off on
your clothes or leave any residue?

Carnauba Polish, not as violent as T-cut, you can use it on many varied surfaces, ideal for surface scratches + it's safe :)

Cheers,
John

Edit: Yes it's fine on oiled & waxed surfaces too - I use it on gun stocks.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='hagguy' post='827649' date='May 4 2010, 05:01 PM']its a really shiney finish looks to bright to be nitro, most likely poly
honestley didn't think t- cut would work does it not come off on
your clothes or leave any residue?[/quote]

Like the Irn-Bru - "if spilt this product may stain". You use 2 cloths (an old, clean T-shirt is ideal) - one to apply the T-Cut/do the polishing, the other one to buff the now dried T-Cut. Don't pour T-Cut onto the bass, SECURELY cover the top of the bottle with the cloth then quickly tip the bottle then back to leave a circle of T-Cut on the cloth. Using this method and working with small quantities at a time should minimise the risk of spillage.

The berst result is obtained by using toothpaste, which is something you all have at home, toothpaste containes abrasive micro granules designed to midly polish your teeth enamel without causing damage and it works wonders on lacquered wood surfaces, plastics, and even some chrome metal parts.

Put some on a soft cloth, apply to the body in a circular motion without digging into the lacquer too hard, allow to dry then polish away with another clean cloth and admire the new shine in disbelief!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='827962' date='May 4 2010, 10:21 PM']The berst result is obtained by using toothpaste, which is something you all have at home, toothpaste containes abrasive micro granules designed to midly polish your teeth enamel without causing damage and it works wonders on lacquered wood surfaces, plastics, and even some chrome metal parts.

Put some on a soft cloth, apply to the body in a circular motion without digging into the lacquer too hard, allow to dry then polish away with another clean cloth and admire the new shine in disbelief![/quote]
I can certainly vouch for this advice. In fact it's an old model-maker's trick for polishing your Revell F4 Phantom's cockpit "glass".

Mind you, I might start using T-Cut on my teeth.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='827962' date='May 4 2010, 10:21 PM']The berst result is obtained by using toothpaste, which is something you all have at home, toothpaste containes abrasive micro granules designed to midly polish your teeth enamel without causing damage and it works wonders on lacquered wood surfaces, plastics, and even some chrome metal parts.

Put some on a soft cloth, apply to the body in a circular motion without digging into the lacquer too hard, allow to dry then polish away with another clean cloth and admire the new shine in disbelief![/quote]

There's some mint condition and control cavities gags in there somewhere but I can't be bothered to work them out... :)

Edited by Fat Rich

I've used AutoGlym in preference to T Cut and have had some very good results. Care and patience are key - don't go crazy and scrub at the finish. AutoGlym is a very light abrasive: it's necessary to work gently, applying with one cloth, then removing and polishing with another. The job can take time but the with patience you can polish out light scratches (fingernail hits etc.) and emerge with an unblemished finish

just tried the toothpaste trick, slightley unsuccessful, left it with a
nice shine but the scratches are still there although they are less noticable
i've repeated the process 3 times, i'll give it another shot the get t-cut in.

[quote name='hagguy' post='828900' date='May 5 2010, 08:13 PM']just tried the toothpaste trick, slightley unsuccessful, left it with a
nice shine but the scratches are still there although they are less noticable
i've repeated the process 3 times, i'll give it another shot the get t-cut in.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, usually this method helps remove pick scratches and minor lacquer blemishes, it is evident the scratches you have are deeper than the clear coat of varnish.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='829001' date='May 5 2010, 09:28 PM']Sorry to hear that, usually this method helps remove pick scratches and minor lacquer blemishes, it is evident the scratches you have are deeper than the clear coat of varnish.[/quote]

don't think they are too deep really have to hold the bass right up to a light to
notice them, think another once over might do the trick. at least the bass is mint
in one respect :) :rolleyes:

TBH I've never had much success other than with light 'swirlies'. I've tried T-Cut, Planet Waves Restore (followed by Shine) and Meguiars. If I feel a bass needs a freshen up I take it to a decent tech and ask for a 'buff up', normally only around £20.