Why become a member? ×

Who can make me a reasonably priced jazz neck?

richrips

Hey team,

Warmoth and WD both make the neck i want, but by the time you have paid for their 'brand reputation' and import tax, they cost a bomb.

what do i want?

Jazz neck to fit standard pocket, ebony fingerboard, 21 frets with overhang.

I've looked at chinese stuff and the reviews are mixed. i'm pretty sure there are guys on here who could do a much better job.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rich

I've just bought a Mighty Mite Precision maple neck, and it's really, really nice. £78 plus about £4 delivery off EBay (new). It's satin finished, but then that was what I was after. There are Jazz necks, too, I'm sure. Highly recommended.

Edit: Just been on EBay for a quick look, and there are none at the mo, but they come and go - keep an eye out is my advice.

Cheers,

Muzz

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26654"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26654[/url] is the reccommended Luthiers thread. Find one close to you and inquire about their prices. They'll be competitive.

I was looking at building something that I can't afford at the moment.... but i was confused as to how you can tell the quality of a lot of these parts... like mighty mite are a lot cheaper than warmoth, but what does that actually mean in reality?

Mighty mite are very good. i had a p bass neck maple/maple by them which was solid and very well made. they just don't make an maple/ebony/21fret neck as far as i know.

WD, Allparts and Mighty Mite seem quite similar, whereas Warmoth use steel bars inside the neck for extra stability and removal of dead spots. Both WD and Warmoth do very nicely finished necks from what i've seen. Afriends Warmoth Jazz neck is possibly the nicest jazz neck i've seen....

Ebony/maple/21fret anyone???

Rich

[quote name='umcoo' post='827138' date='May 4 2010, 09:44 AM']What would you consider a good price? I've got a maple/rosewood Warmoth jazz neck with tele headstock and hipshot hb-2 tuners on it.[/quote]

i'm looking to spend around £150. Given the cost of materials, i'd have thought someone could make me one for around that. I don't need block inlays, vintage lacquer (i can lacquer it myself if needs), or binding. just the two bits of wood, shaped and fretted with a truss rod. I'd be happy with a paddle headstock and would probably be up to shaping the back of the neck myself (don't have the tools for levelling, radiusing, cutting fret slots, etc so would rather have this done by an experienced builder).

Thanks for the offer Umcoo, i'm not 100% keen on a tele headstock or rosewood fretboard, but if you want to PM me a price the worst i can do is say no! And they are tasty tasty tuners....

Cheers

Rich

[quote name='waltsdog' post='827708' date='May 4 2010, 06:04 PM']Just had a quote from a local luthier for a bog standard neck replacement they were talking £300.[/quote]

Ouch!

I've just been looking at tonewood suppliers. Seems the maple and ebony will cost me less than £100. set of router bits = less than £20. and i can make my dream bass for little more than several hours fun in the garage.

Also been looking at vacuum bagging carbon construction with interest....

Rich