Why become a member? ×

Best bridge replacement for fender jazz?

TheDisparities

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='826893' date='May 3 2010, 10:15 PM']If you are happy believing that, then be my guest I don't intend to pursue the argument in that direction with you. Most basses, I agree come with shims but we are talking thin bits of plastic in fact thinner than a thin fender pick.

To shim say a Jazz bass in order to make up for the increased height of an original Badass bridge you are going to need a shim as thick as a tupperware lid, or similar, that will significantly detach the neck from the body and in anyone's book that is a no no., so please believe what you wish. I have many friends in the luthier trade and their professional verdict on the subject is that, the best fit for one of those Badass jobbies is by carving out a 3mm square slot on the body.[/quote]

And vibrations can't travel through a well secured (it's bolted down under tension after all) shim to the rest of the body because?

Shims don't have to be plastic either btw.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='826893' date='May 3 2010, 10:15 PM']If you are happy believing that, then be my guest I don't intend to pursue the argument in that direction with you. Most basses, I agree come with shims but we are talking thin bits of plastic in fact thinner than a thin fender pick.[/quote]

GW,

I would hope this is a lively debate not an argument - although I agree with Buzz above, that you are making a lot presumptions in your above post.

Shims do not have to be made of plastic in fact the shims I use in my basses and my g'tarists guitars are now thin .015" slivers of copper sheet these are easily added to build the correct and minimum necessary shim. A very quick remedy is to shove a piece of plastic sheet in the neck pocket but its a remedy I avoid. Even with a large amount of correction to be sought you do not need a thick shim (common false belief) but a correctly made and shaped shim at the body end of the neck pocket.

The BA II + III were bought out as a result of folks concerns about not being a direct replacement and were developed as such and even LQ states the Original BA is not a direct Fender replacement and as far as I'm aware never was intended to be. So your point about the BA I is I'm afraid a bit lame.

[url="http://www.leoquan.com/html/products.html"]http://www.leoquan.com/html/products.html[/url]

It would seem we will have to agree to disagree on the shimming subject.

I don't think it would serve any purpose in debating the various merits of the earlier and later series PRS basses, other than to polarise our views further. Your Bass-5 and CE bass-4 are indeed very sweet looking instruments and I'm sure you're just as pleased to own them as I am mine.

On the subject of shimming, Fender themselves have often used them. Anyone else noticed the light orange fibreboard pieces that have been factory fitted (especially late 60s into the 70s)?

They tend to be quite thin but just enough to achieve the tilt that allows the bridge grub screws not to poke out and damage a bit of flesh.

The Badass II is a nice bit of engineering whether or not it improves sound. Most people I knew who wanted it fitting in the early days did so because they found the original had a tendency to 'walk around' a bit when playing hard.

Personally I've had a Badass fitted, then removed again without noticing any real difference in performance. I do think it gets full marks as a quality bit of kit when fitted from day one on say a custom build.

To return to the point raised in the OP, I think you'll find that because Badass established the leading name in replacement bridges it's always going to be hard to beat them when it comes to 'cred' and re-sale value (the exception being if you've fitted one to a collectable vintage Fender - then you lose points).

I liked the Badaas I fitted on my 70's jazz and it was a more solid piece and did indeed stop the saddles moving around. It didn't add anything else though, but that was enough. Easy to fit..altho I had to file 'seats' on the saddles, but no big deal there.

The neck pocket wasn't that great on that bass either, but my general thing is that shims are a last resort. I mean, why have a lovely seated pocket and then have to adopt a shim that spoils it. If it is a must, then it is a must, but not something I'd want to do unless I really had to.

Here

this should lighten the load. This was my contribution to the debate.

[url="http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1963478/1"]Fender versus Badass II shootout[/url]

Really, at the end of the day, don't bother. Apart from the sonic debate, they don't look right. A lot of famous bassplayers who own Jazzes and Precisions have not changed their bridge. Think about it.

Davo

Squier bridge - exactly the same as any other bent-tin Fender type, surely?

Neck shims are frequently an essential part of correct setup of any bolt-neck bass or guitar, saying you're not a fan is like saying you're not a fan of setting intonation & adjusting the truss rod!

But if you really want a BAII, go for it, don't let people talk you out of it, it's your bass. Just don't expect miracles for your £70+. And do expect to need a shim. :)

[quote name='Davo-London' post='827562' date='May 4 2010, 03:30 PM']Here

this should lighten the load. This was my contribution to the debate.

[url="http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1963478/1"]Fender versus Badass II shootout[/url]

Really, at the end of the day, don't bother. Apart from the sonic debate, they don't look right. A lot of famous bassplayers who own Jazzes and Precisions have not changed their bridge. Think about it.

Davo[/quote]

For those that haven't DL'd the clip, the BAII sounds broadly quite weak & undefined compared to the stock bent tin on several of the recordings. Davo - did you raise the pup to compensate for the increased string height?

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='827716' date='May 4 2010, 06:18 PM']Squier bridge - exactly the same as any other bent-tin Fender type, surely?

Neck shims are frequently an essential part of correct setup of any bolt-neck bass or guitar, saying you're not a fan is like saying you're not a fan of setting intonation & adjusting the truss rod!

But if you really want a BAII, go for it, don't let people talk you out of it, it's your bass. Just don't expect miracles for your £70+. And do expect to need a shim. :rolleyes:

Jon.[/quote]
This is a fair comment. I shall ask around my local shops and see what they recomend also. If I have to shim, I would prob end up with the Gotoh but we'll see :)

[quote name='TheDisparities' post='827733' date='May 4 2010, 06:32 PM']This is a fair comment. I shall ask around my local shops and see what they recomend also. If I have to shim, I would prob end up with the Gotoh but we'll see :)[/quote]
They'll likely recommend the most expensive bridge they stock/can get! Shops aren't on the whole staffed by experts (despite what they might want you to think!) - they're staffed by salesmen.

I still think if you're heart's set on a BA though you should have one - sod what all the pragmatic old miseries (me included!) think. :rolleyes:

J.

No I didn't have to do anything.

I just whipped out the BII and slipped in the bent metal and voila. I guess they were both adjusted to get the same action. I am very conscious of action normally and so I would have spotted any significant differences.

I'm surprised by all the shim discussion as I didn't have that problem.

Davo