Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass - 500W vs 1000W

Dubs

I've been hit with a major bout of GAS and it would be about £150 more for me to get the 1000W version. Is it worth it...?

I can get the 500W locally for £412 new.

Opinions please :)

Edited by Dubs

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='824580' date='May 1 2010, 08:54 AM']Why bother? are you playing Wembley?

The 500W by all accounts is massively loud, what will you gain from having the 1000W?[/quote]

Louder clean sounds?

I wasn't able to get anywhere near cranking my OBT when I had it. I would probably have benefitted from a 250w version its so loud.

To crank the preamp I found that the master was just barely on so a lower wattage version would've meant that I could've opened up the power section a bit more

When the 1000w release??? In my mind you would only need the 1000 watts if the cabs you used are rated high.

I'm only using mine with a single 15, my gain at 10 o clck and the volume as needed.

On my last gig it was drowning out a miced up drumkit, PA with 4 1x12s and 2 50watt 2x10 combos. The achievable volume witha good cab is rediculous with it.

You can alway take it back and thenget the other one if needs be.

I have a quick question though. Obviously I'm using it in 8ohm mode with my 8 ohm cab to get 500 watts. But if I was finding it too loud could I use it in 4ohm mode to down rate it? I know it sounds stupid but I'm sure so done will find that info useful.

I tried out the 500W yesterday in a local shop and it sounded great and was so loud that I bought it :) The only problem is the one I've got has a problem with the fan so it's going back to be replaced tomorrow.

The 4x10 Isobaric cab sounded pretty good too, but in reality it doesn't come close to how good my 4x10 TecAmp is.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='825345' date='May 2 2010, 09:46 AM']I have a quick question though. Obviously I'm using it in 8ohm mode with my 8 ohm cab to get 500 watts. But if I was finding it too loud could I use it in 4ohm mode to down rate it? I know it sounds stupid but I'm sure so done will find that info useful.[/quote]

You could, it won't damage the amp or cab, but it's the same as turning down the volume, so there's no point really (unless you're scared you're going to blow your cab due to volume addiction).

[quote name='robthegaff' post='831086' date='May 7 2010, 10:15 PM']You could, it won't damage the amp or cab, but it's the same as turning down the volume, so there's no point really (unless you're scared you're going to blow your cab due to volume addiction).[/quote]

not likely with the compact :)

but thanks I'll give it a go, cause if he does get the 1000 watt beast and finds it's too loud he can always do this.

I've concluded that if you've got a good cab then the 1000W version is just total overkill. I had a very loud practise on Friday with my new 500W OTB with the gain set at about the 2nd notch and the master volume on about the 3rd notch and it was eye watering trouser flappingly ridiculous with my TecAmp 4x10. Good times!

Totally agree. I'm really digging mine. I'm playing my precision straight into the head - no pedals, through my Aguilar DB210. I have vol and gain both on about the second notches too.