Why become a member? ×

Monitoring for recording

JackLondon

Hi guys,

Recently I've purchased a Boss BR-900CD for recording and altough it isn't one of the most professional kits out there I think it's good and has loads of potential. The problem I have is monitoring the sound whilst recording, at the moment I'm either using my headphones or my 5.1 from the living room but this is not ideal so I was thinking of purchasing some good quality monitors. I know that it won't get me far but my budget is between £100-150. They don't have to be massive or extremely loud but something good enough to reproduce the sound clearly and be portable. I would apreciate any advice on this.

On the side and to spare questions, Boss has 2 outputs, 1 Digital(via optical cable) and 1 Line out (via RCA cable) so am I right toassume it means active speakers are my only choice?

[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/m-audio-studiophile-bx5a-deluxe-active-studio-monitor-speakers--48624"]M-Audio BX5a[/url]

Haven't heard them but they've been getting rave reviews for a few years, seem to be some of the actives out there under 200. Used to have a pair of smaller M-Audio's, turned out to be pretty trusty above about 100Hz with most material. Anyways, those ones are supposed to be really quite good for the price, my choice would be there.

I have those ^, and I love them to bits. Even just listening to pre-recorded stuff through them is a very nice experience - I was amazed at the added extra detail that I'd simply never heard before.

Edit - when I bought them (18 months ago or so), they were £170, the link above has them for £150: bargain :)

Edited by Daquifsta

I've got the Samson 4i's which are absolutely AWESOME. They sound great, and I use them with my BR-900CD :) Top notch sound quality, and it's not a particularly well-known brand, so you know you're not paying for the brand name (as with bose, etc.).

You can pick them up for just over or near £100 most places on the interweb.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='823252' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:55 PM']On the side and to spare questions, Boss has 2 outputs, 1 Digital(via optical cable) and 1 Line out (via RCA cable) so am I right toassume it means active speakers are my only choice?[/quote]

I personally reccomend you don't get anything by M-Audio as their customer service is pretty shocking to be honest. As for this question, you don't HAVE to get active speakers, it's just that if you got passive ones you'd need an external power amplifier which would easily stretch beyond your current budget with all that and the speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the M-Audio stuff - Never had a problem with mine, and I have used their midi keyboards, monitors and soundcards for years.

I was once given a bit of advice by a studio engineer regarding headphones - "never mix anything using headphones, they will never give you a proper perspective of the mix".

[quote name='arsenic' post='835093' date='May 12 2010, 10:08 AM']I agree with the M-Audio stuff - Never had a problem with mine, and I have used their midi keyboards, monitors and soundcards for years.[/quote]

Well you might not have had a problem, but just suppose you did have a problem and they basically don't offer you any help apart from a public forum for M-Audio users. Pretty pathetic if you've just spent hundreds of pounds on their equipment IMO.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='835143' date='May 12 2010, 11:00 AM']Well you might not have had a problem, but just suppose you did have a problem and they basically don't offer you any help apart from a public forum for M-Audio users. Pretty pathetic if you've just spent hundreds of pounds on their equipment IMO.[/quote]

I have only had to deal with their customer service for minor things - regarding spare acoustic mats for my monitors - got them sent for free.....also contacted them about drivers for win7, when I thought about upgrading - they said they would let me know, and guess what, I received an e-mail from them a couple of weeks later to tell me that they were available on the site........

Ok, I have not had an issue with faulty equipment, so can't comment on that - but as I said, I have used their stuff for years, 2 different keyboards, 2 different soundcards and 2 different sets of monitors, upgrading as better equipment became available - and have not once had a problem. Their drivers and software seems to be really stable - even more so if you keep the PC free of non essential stuff(eg: a seperate machine for music and everything else on another).....So no, I can't see where the problem is.

You have obviously had a problem, and if you had received poor customer service, then you can only speak as you find......but, this is only your experience/opinion, and pointing it out to the OP is helpful - but to repeat that you are not happy with their customer service, does nothing to enhance the thread.

I have stated my reasons for reccomending them - let the OP make an informed decision, without cluttering up their thread with pointless additional posts on your experience.

Edited by arsenic

To be honest, at that price, nothing will really be a step up from your home system. Leave your money in your bank until you have enought to get something decent and just get on with making music with what you've got. Dont lose sight of the fact that it's the music that's the important bit!

I have a question which could fit in here...

I have a half decent set of monitors at home where I mix, and that's fine. However, where I record, I have a pair of headphones, or the world's worst PA to choose from. Is there any chance I can get a PA that's OK to monitor through? It's just even with everything set flat my crap PA was all muddy mids - I guess 'cos it's voiced for vocals? I'm looking to spend less than £150 to get a set up which could maybe help us at rehearsal, but mainly function as monitoring for listening back to takes.

Right,

I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of KRK RP6 G2, they've arrived today and I yet have to set them up properly but so far I have played some music through it an my god how different does it sound to what I was actually hearing previously. They are crystal clear and are so unforgiving on the little bits and it amazes me how much difference does a set of ''dedicated'' speakers make.

[attachment=49628:krk.JPG]

[quote name='JackLondon' post='836509' date='May 13 2010, 07:38 PM']Right,

I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of KRK RP6 G2, they've arrived today and I yet have to set them up properly but so far I have played some music through it an my god how different does it sound to what I was actually hearing previously. They are crystal clear and are so unforgiving on the little bits and it amazes me how much difference does a set of ''dedicated'' speakers make.

[attachment=49628:krk.JPG][/quote]

Hi Jack

I sold you the BR900, I hope it's met all your expectations.

Coincidentally I've just brought the same KRKs. I think they sound great but I've never heard the Adams or Genelecs etc so I've never gauged the KRKs against the higher end monitors.

How did you link the BR to the KRKs as the phonos out didn't work?

Did you get the KRK 6s from new? I got mine from Dawsons as they were as cheap as the net without the hassle of delivery and extra delivery charge. Think I paid about £318 for mine.

Edited by GM10

[quote name='JackLondon' post='836509' date='May 13 2010, 07:38 PM']Right,

I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of KRK RP6 G2, they've arrived today and I yet have to set them up properly but so far I have played some music through it an my god how different does it sound to what I was actually hearing previously. They are crystal clear and are so unforgiving on the little bits and it amazes me how much difference does a set of ''dedicated'' speakers make.[/quote]

[quote name='GM10' post='842454' date='May 19 2010, 07:56 PM']Coincidentally I've just brought the same KRKs. I think they sound great but I've never heard the Adams or Genelecs etc so I've never gauged the KRKs against the higher end monitors.[/quote]

You won't go far wrong with KRK's. We use V8 Series 2's & VXT 8's for tracking & A/B between them and Dynaudio M1.5 for mixing. We also have some Genelecs which I personally don't use too much, they mainly get switched on when the client's come in to have a listen! They make everything sound warm and gel.
We've also got some Adam A7's which are very nice too, the ART ribbon tweeters are very nice.

I want some Genelec 1036A but at £29,000 (for one! :)) they're not cheap!

[quote name='GM10' post='842454' date='May 19 2010, 07:56 PM']How did you link the BR to the KRKs as the phonos out didn't work?

Did you get the KRK 6s from new?[/quote]

Hi Graeme,

The socket on the Boss had a loose solder joint so I've managed to fix it and it works well now.

I've got the KRK's from GAK so they are brand spanking new :)

Cheers
Jack

[quote name='JackLondon' post='843669' date='May 20 2010, 11:10 PM']Hi Graeme,

The socket on the Boss had a loose solder joint so I've managed to fix it and it works well now.

I've got the KRK's from GAK so they are brand spanking new :)

Cheers
Jack[/quote]

Pleased it's all working 100% now.

I used the money you paid me for the Boss to part fund the KRK's.