Why become a member? ×

Guns &Roses sweet child of mine

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='828853' date='May 5 2010, 07:34 PM']If I'm honest, I don't understand the problem.

The song's in C#/Db and G'n'R tune down to Eb, so if you're going to play it in D, just detune, learn it, then tune up to standard and play it exactly the same.[/quote]

Yep ! That's what I did :) It's just that, I was under pressure from the rest of the band to have it ready in short notice.

Then , some of the band were ready, and some were not....

[quote name='Marvin' post='826672' date='May 3 2010, 06:11 PM']Did you read his interview in BGM a few months ago. He claimed that his heavy drinking never effected his playing. I think perhaps it might have occasionally. :)[/quote]

Maybe he hadn't drunk heavily enough on that occasion...

[quote name='4 Strings' post='829039' date='May 5 2010, 10:00 PM']Am I the only one who would ask for this song to be removed from the set list?[/quote]

Probably not but if it goes down well then why would you? Arent we there to play songs the crowd want to hear?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='835782' date='May 12 2010, 11:22 PM']I thought we were artists.[/quote]

LOL. Yeah whatever.

In my case im employed to entertain people. I cant see many wedding bands turning around to a bride and groom and telling them you wont play their first dance or requests because the bass player (or whoever) doesn't like the song(s).

You're bloody lucky to be in a band where you 100% enjoy every song you play.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='828846' date='May 5 2010, 07:28 PM']Well, after all the ooing & aahing weplayed it 1st encore as originally planned.
what happened ? O ne of the guitarists wanted me to come in with him, but I could only go by the song.
Mr . vocals sang one too many whoas! So that put me outta sync .
Mr guitar fluffed it. I didn't like the indeciseiveness of the others, and think
we should have played the proclaimers 500 miles instead.

I did the intro okay ,and mr drums was fine too. We still got away with it (just!)

I say, if nobody is 100 % ,then don't do it. But who listens to the bassplayer ?? :)[/quote]

I wouldn't be impressed by this...
it is either a busk that everyone can handle and therefore you literally have to follow, or you junk it, IMV.

It is no use everyone being wobbly on it as it doesn't work like that. Second guessing is a recipe for a crap effort, IMO.
You follow the principle player..normally the gtr/vocal and whereever he takes the song you go...
You can't all have your own versions and expect to get away with it..

If they pushed you into learning it...they should at least have it covered themselves.....

Nest time, speak up... you aren't trashing the song, you are trashing the way it is likely to come out..
We do this all the time if a song is not ready..why ask for trouble..?
And I say this as someone who puts on gigs without ever meeting some of the players beforehand. You have to have someone who knows the song and can lead everyone through it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='835784' date='May 12 2010, 11:24 PM']LOL. Yeah whatever.

In my case im employed to entertain people. I cant see many wedding bands turning around to a bride and groom and telling them you wont play their first dance or requests because the bass player (or whoever) doesn't like the song(s).

You're bloody lucky to be in a band where you 100% enjoy every song you play.[/quote]

I suppose I choose which bands I want to play in.

'Course I've done all sorts of stuff I wouldn't choose at weddings etc and had great fun doing them, just because others have enjoyed us playing them. But, we have turned down requests before and dropped songs from lists because we just didn't like them, paid or otherwise.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='836303' date='May 13 2010, 04:10 PM']I suppose I choose which bands I want to play in.

'Course I've done all sorts of stuff I wouldn't choose at weddings etc and had great fun doing them, just because others have enjoyed us playing them. But, we have turned down requests before and dropped songs from lists because we just didn't like them, paid or otherwise.[/quote]

Slightly off topic but I had a similar thing. Rest of the band wanted to do Hot Stuff and I couldn't stand it. Fast forward 2 years, it's our biggest song ending the night and I absolutely love playing it??!!

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='836807' date='May 14 2010, 07:34 AM']Slightly off topic but I had a similar thing. Rest of the band wanted to do Hot Stuff and I couldn't stand it. Fast forward 2 years, it's our biggest song ending the night and I absolutely love playing it??!![/quote]

It can work out like that..I try not to be too anti anything, but need to know it works in what we are trying to do.
We will give them a go at rehearsal...and then go from there.

What the punters like or want is secondary so I don't want this unit to get side-tracked into functions as then we will have to reel out songs like Superstition, Take me to the River etc..

I am more interested in playing on the songs we have..but personally I'd drop typical pub set numbers, if it were all upto me.
If the songs stack up against what we already have, I'd like to have 25% original by the end of the summer...but that timescale is probably unrealistic the amount of times we can get to rehearse.