Why become a member? ×

Did I damage my bass?

Cat Burrito

My 1989 Fender Precision was fairly mistreated when I was gigging back in the 1990s. I've done 100+ gigs with it and I seriously abused it. The highlight of this was at the Bristol Bridge when I drunkenly kicked it across the stage having half heartedly tried to smash it up. I've since learnt to treat instruments better.

The damage at the time was a broken nut and when it was set up the guy in the shop told me it was playable but I'd permanently bent the neck. Interestingly in the two subsequent set ups it's had I was told the neck didn't look bent (& it didn't).

I still occasionally play this bass although like most Basschatters I've since developed a bigger collection so I could afford to semi retire this one. It's got more sentimental value for me then resale value anyway. I last played it on stage about 6 gigs ago so it does get used.

The problem is the action. I had it set up properly in 2004 having retired from music for a few years and it played great. Again I had it set up last summer and it played great once more. However, compared to my other Fenders (one much older) the action is dreadful. See the pics attached. If I play around the first 3 frets it feels great. Around the 7th fret the action is actually pretty high. It's not unplayable but you certainly have to dig in a lot more. The neck sort of bows and around the 20th fret is actually bordering on acceptable again.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the neck. Does this problem look / sound like the sort of thing that could be solved with another set up or does it sound like the silliness of a few years ago did some pretty permanent damage? I don't mind the Trigger's broom affect of giving it a new neck but wondered if it was a drastic solution. Partly as well in 20yrs of playing I've warmed to rosewood anyway so it would also freshen up the bass for me from that point of view. For your thoughts...

You don't mention if the trussrod's been adjusted at all? If it's not already cranked up, I'd suggest slackening the strings and giving the 'rod a half-turn clockwise before tuning back up to see if it makes a difference; repeat until it won't turn any more, THEN look at replacing the neck :)

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='818297' date='Apr 25 2010, 12:38 PM']You don't mention if the trussrod's been adjusted at all? If it's not already cranked up, I'd suggest slackening the strings and giving the 'rod a half-turn clockwise before tuning back up to see if it makes a difference; repeat until it won't turn any more, THEN look at replacing the neck :)[/quote]

+1

[url="http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=How+to+adjust+a+truss+rod.&meta=&btnG=Google+Search"]How to adjust a truss rod.[/url]