Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it just me or is this tune INCREDIBLE?

Duarte

[quote name='Linus27' post='817689' date='Apr 25 2010, 01:17 AM']The clip you posted was great and the musicianship was superb. However, after about a minute, the bass just sounded like he was soloing, fret w***ing and just playing any old sh*t that comes into his head. It did not seem to have any reason, direction or melody to it.[/quote]

Can't disagree more - to me, his solo was very good. In fact, other members, especially the drummer, made it sound so good - tension he made along with the solo going, was just perfect, to my ears.

Other than that, it's purely matter of taste, of course.

I used to be a terrible music snob. Then I joined a covers band - I had to think about, listen to, learn and put up with songs that people wanted to listen and dance to in a pub at the weekend. Of course, I discovered that a lot of these pop tunes where actually great and some even had some fantastic bass playing in them.

I still like to listen to the w*nky stuff but my appreciation has broadened immensely.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I don't think of myself as a musical snob, and my tastes are as varied as the next guy's, but I like music to be a 24/7 thing ... I'm constantly singing / humming / whistling something or other.

Could be Beethoven, could be the Beatles, could be the Beastie Boys.

My point is, they can all be sung / hummed / whistled.

If I can't sing it / hum it / whistle it then I won't listen to it - it's already dead by the time the song ends. It left no memory other than "what was that all about?".

My (extensive) music collection therefore contains no John Cage, no freeform jazz, and no Britney. I've just watched that Britney video four times and all I can remember is that weird [i]wee-wah-wee-wah[/i] synth sound at the end of each verse.

[quote name='deathpanda' post='817574' date='Apr 24 2010, 08:55 PM'] [/quote]
To me this is just a chore to listen to. Yeah it's technically impressive and all but...

thisnameistaken, you definitely have a point about Britney's voice, it is the weak point of the song (and probably the lyrics too, but who listens to lyrics anyway?), but the wonders of the production just make it 'work'.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='817566' date='Apr 24 2010, 08:42 PM']And what about this one?

[/quote]

I've seen Richard play this live loads of times and its really good, just goes to show that any song can be made to sound great if you mess about with the style its played in. A good song is always a good song.

Anyone seen John Otway do 'I will Survive' in a Bob Dylan stylee? Not only hilarious, but it actually sounds like Dylan could have written it!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='817984' date='Apr 25 2010, 12:14 PM']I've seen Richard play this live loads of times and its really good, just goes to show that any song can be made to sound great if you mess about with the style its played in. A good song is always a good song.[/quote]
My point exactly. People confuse production, presentation, performance, genre etc with whether a song is good or not so good. So changing the genre etc can be very revealing.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='817984' date='Apr 25 2010, 12:14 PM']Anyone seen John Otway do 'I will Survive' in a Bob Dylan stylee? Not only hilarious, but it actually sounds like Dylan could have written it![/quote]
I really like the Cake version of [i]I Will Survive[/i]:

Edited by EssentialTension

Played toxic with my soul band. the MD arranged a soprano sax and trumpets with harmen mutes to do as happy jack said, the "wee-wah-wee-wah synth"

Such a fun song to play, simply because almost everything is really dirty synth. Playing something with that much over-production really makes you appreciate the effort put in to the original song!

I used to hate this song, but when we did it I found myself desperately trying to recreate the bass synth sound (which was done on a nord keyboard I believe) on my £40 korg multi-effects pedal...surprisingly fun, probably the reason I can half-bear the song now :)

Edited by jamesbass116

OK, I've listened to both those versions too, so that's another 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. The jazz version was interesting, in that it was the most unrecognisable cover I think I've ever heard.

Is this tune INCREDIBLE?

No - there is no tune worth mentioning, no melody, nothing you can take away and sing as you walk to the bus stop.

It's a bunch of riffs and (over-)production, in Britney's case disguised by a wet-dream pop video so that teenagers don't notice how crap the song is. Clever marketing, rubbish music.

Now can I get back on the fence? :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='817992' date='Apr 25 2010, 12:28 PM']My point exactly. People confuse production, presentation, performance, genre etc with whether a song is good or not so good. So changing the genre etc can be very revealing.

I really like the Cake version of [i]I Will Survive[/i]:

[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='818050' date='Apr 25 2010, 01:43 PM']Now can I get back on the fence? :)[/quote]
No, now you can fack off to your Britneyless hell hole of a habitat, and wallow in your own filth/drown yourself in progressive jazz.

Or just don't listen to the song...I've taken another route and bought all her albums off amazon.