Why become a member? ×

Withdraw this post

Shonks

• 5 months later...

I own a blx 130 combo and another (more expensive) way to improve it alot is to add a 2 x 10 cab, as you say the blx ported cab acts kind of like a sub with good bass responce in a small box but with poor higher frequency sound, but when combined with a 2 x 10 you get the full output and a pretty good system for small or quiet gigs. Obviously wont work with blx 80 - no ext speaker facility.

I had one of these years back. I thought it was quite a 'trebly' sound. I couldnt beleive it was just a 1x10 (plus horn?).

I managed to trade it for a decent value and not lose too much. I did like it, but realised it wasnt really capable of keeping up with an entire loud band.

Good combo though, my first 'real' high quality amp/combo.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='979147' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:56 AM']I had one of these years back. I thought it was quite a 'trebly' sound. I couldnt beleive it was just a 1x10 (plus horn?).

I managed to trade it for a decent value and not lose too much. I did like it, but realised it wasnt really capable of keeping up with an entire loud band.

Good combo though, my first 'real' high quality amp/combo.[/quote]

Mine has no horn just single 10 , maybe the trebleyness was caused by the horn, i imagine a horn would be more useful on this kind of combo than on most cabs.

I had a BLX-80 years ago, and never got on with it. Traded it in for something else, which ended up being a complete dog of an amp*. Wish I hadn't bothered, because the only pleasure the dog of an amp gave me was when I tossed it in the skip after it completely gave up the ghost.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Shonks
I've got a BLX130, which I recently got for £30!!!..........albeit with a blown speaker and missing back panel.

I'm thinking it could be an ideal candidate for your 'mod'. Could you post some pics of the new panel you fitted please?

Does it still perform as well, I appreciate the sound will alter to some extent, but is it a better option than say, adding a HF horn. Have you tried it at volume at all?

Thanks for sharing your tips

• 3 months later...
Guest MoJo

[quote name='Shonks' post='1248578' date='May 28 2011, 07:49 PM']I took out the middle panel.
Replaced the 10" driver with a 12" driver with a light weight neo magnet. 300watt @4ohms and the amp is changed to 150 sm gp7.[/quote]

Sounds like Trigger's broom :)

• 2 years later...