Why become a member? ×

4x12 or 6x10?

bigevilman

Hey guys

I'm looking to get a replacement cab for my two nemesis cabs. They're nice sounding cabs, but I'm having to compete with my guitarist and heavy-handed drummer to cut through the mix. I can pump my WT800 up with it, but it doesn't leave me with a lot of headroom.

It came to a head last night when I played in Leeds. Managed to play both sets with no trouble, but by the time it came to the encore, the amp just cut out. I'm presuming (from what I've read), the amp kicked into safety mode to stop itself from frying, and cut out (to be fair, I did have the amp gain on about 7, and the volume about 8 for about nearly 2 1/2 hours of constant beating!). After trying to locate the problem, I ended up watching my band mates finish playing our rendition of Santana's Black Magic Woman with a nice pint of ale in my hand!

I've now decided, although the rest of the band like the lightweight-ness of my new cabs, I decided to say b******s to that, and go back to a nice big cab :). Luckily, I've made that decision just before a mate of mine goes and picks up his GT200 head next week from the matamp factory (what a bit of luck!). I've decided I'll tag along, and hopefully will end up trying out as many cabs as possible, and asking for some well needed knowledge!

But I though I'd ask the lovely folk at basschat their opinions on what I should get. Basically, I don't wanna go back to a 810, as it was a massive cab for what we did, and TBF....was overkill! :rolleyes: I want to have a cab that at least matches the guitarists 412 in size, but cuts through. Do any of you have experience with 4x12's? And how do they compare to 6x10's? Also, does running it in stereo make any difference to running it in mono? I've read about 6x12's running in stereo (3x12 a side)

Joe

did someone say 4x12"?

[url="http://img704.imageshack.us/i/dsc06204large.jpg/"][/url]

A monster cab. I am selling mine but its a pity you're so far away or you could've tried it out. 800w @ 8ohms

There's more details in the for sale section

I notice you live in Brid, we come down to Filey every couple of years but probably won't be down until next year.

Edited by Delberthot

I've just popped my Matamp 4x10 up for sale.

Personally I would say 4x10 or 8x10 or 4x12 as the 6x10 is going to be a stupid impedance that will at somepoint likely damage the GT200 you will eventually get :)

My 4x10 has a 8 and 2 ohm switch so if your edan can do 2 ohms it can pump out its maximum wattage

Reason for sale I have a Matamp 2x12, 8x10 and 4x10 and don't think I need all 3 :rolleyes:

Also if the 4x12 is literally 2 of the 2x12's like I have that will be insanely cool sounding but a bitch to get through doors.

Hope this helps

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='813786' date='Apr 21 2010, 02:10 PM']Go either two 2x12 or two 3x10, in both cases with cabs that have the drivers vertically aligned. Use one at smaller gigs, two for the big gigs, and then with the two cabs vertically stacked. The result is far better than either a 4x12 or 6x10, and a much easier haul.[/quote]

I don't think Matamp's speaker cabinet philosophy and your own are very comparable. Pair of upright 2x12s will be in their repertoire, 3x10 not so much.

I actually asked for a similar spec to I suggested including port tunings, and they told me they couldn't help.