Why become a member? ×

FT/FS. My Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn. **SOLD**

dave_bass5

I got my DD in Jan this year from Absolute Music. It was pre owned but in 100% perfect condition. Comes with a Lakland Levys gig bag.
Ive gigged it about 4 times so its still in fantastic condition. No scratches or marks that i can see.

Depending on what im offered i could add some money to the deal as well.
Happy to ship although a meet in London would be preferable.

Ill post some pics later this evening.

Please, no other offers. I dont want or need any other bass other than the ones im looking for.

Cheers.

EDIT: Price wise im looking for £630 ono. Buyer pays for postage if i need to post this.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='811168' date='Apr 19 2010, 11:32 AM']I got my DD in Jan this year from Absolute Music. It was pre owned but in 100% perfect condition. Comes with a Lakland Levys gig bag.
Ive gigged it about 4 times so its still in fantastic condition. No scratches or marks that i can see.

I really want a SR4 SLO but im guessing thats out of the question unless i buy new or pay in full for it so a Sterling would also be good.

Depending on what im offered i could add some money to the deal as well.
Happy to ship although a meet in London would be preferable.

ill post some pics later this evening.

What i dont want is any sunbursts or bright colours.

I probably will sell the DD if i dont get anywhere with a trade but for now i would prefer a trade.

Please, no other offers. I dont want or need any other bass other than the ones im looking for.

Cheers.[/quote]

Id be interested in buying.

Edited by bassmeg

A SLO special means its got a sterling (Jazz sized) neck on it.

Ill update this thread when i do change it to for sale. Ill give it a few days first. I just figure ill be less out of pocket doing a trade rather than selling the DD first.
Of course if i do see something i like for sale only i might change my mind a bit quicker.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='811262' date='Apr 19 2010, 12:58 PM']A SLO special means its got a sterling (Jazz sized) neck on it.

Ill update this thread when i do change it to for sale. Ill give it a few days first. I just figure ill be less out of pocket doing a trade rather than selling the DD first.
Of course if i do see something i like for sale only i might change my mind a bit quicker.[/quote]

So you want a StingRay with a Sterling neck? I'm confused (doesn't take much). I've got a house full of MusicMan stuff (ok, I exaggerate a touch) and have never heard of an SLO. What this a factory thing?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='811278' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:07 PM']So you want a StingRay with a Sterling neck? I'm confused (doesn't take much). I've got a house full of MusicMan stuff (ok, I exaggerate a touch) and have never heard of an SLO. What this a factory thing?[/quote]

Its an option you can request when you order/buy a SR4. Its in the SR4 spec list on the EBMM website.
"Neck Option: Slo Special - Sterling neck profile"

I might be happy with a normal SR4 (and will probably end up with one) but thought i'd try this first.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='811292' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:19 PM']Its an option you can request when you order/buy a SR4. Its in the SR4 spec list on the EBMM website.
I might be happy with a normal SR4 (and will probably end up with one) but thought i'd try this first.[/quote]

Ahh... interesting. I didn't know you could have that. I've never found the SR4 standard neck particularly chubby but I've never played a Sterling (would be very interested) and hate Fender Jazz necks.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='811292' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:19 PM']I might be happy with a normal SR4 (and will probably end up with one) but thought i'd try this first.[/quote]

I'd agree with you Dave that the Sterling neck can be described as 'to die for' but the last couple of Ray's I've had have had very playable necks - nice and shallow front to back. I thought the gloss neck on my current 30th might have been problematic but TBH it's pretty spot on. If your not that familiar with modern Ray necks Dave I'd go and have an hour with one before you dismiss it - at least it'll tell you wether you deffo need a Sterling.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='811295' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:21 PM']Ahh... interesting. I didn't know you could have that. I've never found the SR4 standard neck particularly chubby but I've never played a Sterling (would be very interested) and hate Fender Jazz necks.[/quote]

Its not so much the size of the neck im having a bit of trouble with, its more the string spacing (at least, thats what im putting it down to).
Im fine with 5 strings as i guess the spacing is a bit smaller but with my Ray34 its just more of an effort. Not the end of the world though, but like i say, i just wanted to at least try and get a more narrower neck.
I love Jazz necks although something in between would be ideal. Maybe a better quality SR4 neck would be easier to play. Its an option (as is getting a SR5).

[quote name='martthebass' post='811304' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:25 PM']I'd agree with you Dave that the Sterling neck can be described as 'to die for' but the last couple of Ray's I've had have had very playable necks - nice and shallow front to back. I thought the gloss neck on my current 30th might have been problematic but TBH it's pretty spot on. If your not that familiar with modern Ray necks Dave I'd go and have an hour with one before you dismiss it - at least it'll tell you wether you deffo need a Sterling.[/quote]

Cheers.
As ive just posted, im not discounting the standard SR4, and if a nice one came along i'd probably jump at it but as im not too comfortable on the Ray34, and its supposed to be a close match to the SR4 i thought i would see what i can get hold of.
Ive been gigging the Ray34 exclusively and its doing a great job so i know i can live with it if i have to. I just dont want something that will be a duplicate to what already have.

As im skint getting rid fo the DD is my only option to get something esle, hence the reason for this thread. Buying new is not an option and as there aren't many SLO's around i' ll probably end up with a SR4 of some sort. Possible a 2EQ if i can stretch to it.

Edited by dave_bass5

See your point Dave.

Haven't played an SB34 so I can't comment on neck dimensions.
The Sterling I had was a good match for a Jazz neck as I recall, the string spacing though, by the time you got to 12th wasn't far off the Ray (or a modern Fender P). At the bridge I think it's 19mm like a Ray.
A Sterling also doesn't sound much like a 2EQ Ray (tho I don't get too hung up on the 2EQ vs 3EQ thing on Rays - I've had both and haven't found the difference to be so great as to grossly push one ahead of the other) because of the ceramic pups. It's a nice (though aggressive) sound but it isn't a Ray.

Have you got the measurements for a modern Stingray 4 standard neck? Im sure their site must have it. Then you can 'sort of' visualise if the standard EB MM Stingray 4 neck is for you.

BTW, I measured my action on my now sold bass....its 3mm a 12th fret...approx. For me feels really fast, but it will go lower as the bridge pieces arent set ultra low.

I played it for a little while just to see how much im going to miss it (and I am :) ) and the neck does feel a little smaller than a Precision, but not quite Jazz.

If you are certain on a SLO neck, 2 band EQ, I reckon going ew will be £1100 ish maybe a little more in standard colours.

Cheers and good luck! The DD will sell if it needs to.

[quote name='martthebass' post='811422' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:15 PM']See your point Dave.

Haven't played an SB34 so I can't comment on neck dimensions.
The Sterling I had was a good match for a Jazz neck as I recall, the string spacing though, by the time you got to 12th wasn't far off the Ray (or a modern Fender P). At the bridge I think it's 19mm like a Ray.
A Sterling also doesn't sound much like a 2EQ Ray (tho I don't get too hung up on the 2EQ vs 3EQ thing on Rays - I've had both and haven't found the difference to be so great as to grossly push one ahead of the other) because of the ceramic pups. It's a nice (though aggressive) sound but it isn't a Ray.[/quote]

Cheers for that.
I must admit im not too hung up on 2 or 3 EQ either, i did find my Sub to be a bit closer to a P though so that would sway me but its certainly not a deal breaker.
While i have never played a Sterling i did find that when i first saw the Ed Friendland video reviews of the SB14 and Ray34 i really liked the tone from the SB14, probably more than the Ray34 but im finding the Ray34 to sound fine so again, not too hung up on what it is.

Its really the headstock end of the neck that i find is a bit of a struggle to be honest. Up by the 12th i find i actually like a bit more room.

I may just keep an eye out for a nice SR4, whatever neck it has.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='811430' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:24 PM']Have you got the measurements for a modern Stingray 4 standard neck? Im sure their site must have it. Then you can 'sort of' visualise if the standard EB MM Stingray 4 neck is for you.

BTW, I measured my action on my now sold bass....its 3mm a 12th fret...approx. For me feels really fast, but it will go lower as the bridge pieces arent set ultra low.

I played it for a little while just to see how much im going to miss it (and I am :) ) and the neck does feel a little smaller than a Precision, but not quite Jazz.

If you are certain on a SLO neck, 2 band EQ, I reckon going ew will be £1100 ish maybe a little more in standard colours.

Cheers and good luck! The DD will sell if it needs to.[/quote]

Thanks Gareth.

Your action is the same as mine then. According to the EBMM spec's a SR4 should be slightly narrower than my Ray34, but only by about 2mm.

If i had to buy new i really dont think i could wait 3-4 months. I would either burst or decide i want something else before it arrived lol

As ive just posted, i think i might just try and get a standard SR4. Ill still give this thread a few days before i decide ot sell the DD but yes, it shouldn't take long. As long as the price is right of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='811438' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:32 PM']Its really the headstock end of the neck that i find is a bit of a struggle to be honest. Up by the 12th i find i actually like a bit more room.[/quote]

if that's the case Dave I'd definitely hang on and wait for a Sterling to come along - it really is very fast up at the nut, probably the most comfortable neck profile I've ever played in that respect

You should trade for a SR5 and if you don't like that trade for the quilted top USA G&L also in the for sale thread with the Jazz profile neck. Thats what you need but unfortunately the owner is looking for trades only at current but it ticks all your boxes :) IMHO anyway...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='813135' date='Apr 20 2010, 10:01 PM']You should trade for a SR5 and if you don't like that trade for the quilted top USA G&L also in the for sale thread with the Jazz profile neck. Thats what you need but unfortunately the owner is looking for trades only at current but it ticks all your boxes :) IMHO anyway...[/quote]

I know the G&L ticks all the right boxes but i really find them ugly to look at. Something about the headstock really puts me off. Plus, i know its shallow but i really prefer a scratch plate on my basses. I think it sets the shape of really nice.

Gareth. Yeah, GAS is rising although i think i would be perfectly happy to keep what i have right now. And its funny but since i started this thread i think maybe a SLO or Sterling isnt the ideal neck now. Its not a SR4 thats for sure but i seem to be playing a bit cleaner on the wider neck. I just tried the DD and while its so comfortable i can feel my playing is a bit sloppy(er)

Oh well, lets see what happens.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='821923' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:11 PM']Open to near offers type of bump.[/quote]

Dave, don't give this away, its a great price as it is.

Have you seen this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85963"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85963[/url]

[quote name='Linus27' post='822334' date='Apr 28 2010, 07:22 PM']Dave, don't give this away, its a great price as it is.

Have you seen this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85963"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85963[/url][/quote]

I really want a Sandberg now. I love my Ray34 and its still my main bass but i do miss the P tone as well. As long as i can cover the cost of a Sandberg ill be happy.
As soon as a Sandberg comes up i probably will drop the price for a quick sale. Saying that, im really not in a great rush to get rid of it. I really would keep the DD but im going off the narrow neck. Apparently the Sandbergs have a narrow, but not jazz sized necks. This sounds ideal for me now.

I saw that SR5 (and the first time he advertised it) but i hate sunburst or Cherry burst. I just cant get my head around them. Shallow i know.
Now Blackburst, thats my ideal finish. Hoping one of the Sandbergs will come up soon in that colour.
Have you seen Nicks one? This is all his fault lol.

Edited by dave_bass5