Why become a member? ×

Jaydee owners HELP!

lscolman

Hi,

I'm going to ask Mr Diggins to build me a Jaydee.

I'm favouring an active roadie in white. What I can't decide upon are the options

[url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html[/url]

Which options do you think are worth going for?

Cheers, Lee

[quote name='RhysP' post='810050' date='Apr 18 2010, 09:17 AM']Personally I'd go for the neck & headstock binding (my old Supernatural model had this, and the planet/UFO inlays).
Jaydees without the binding never look finished to me.[/quote]

Hi Rhys,

Have you any pics of neck and headstock binding? I haven't been able to see the difference, although another member has mentioned that neck binding finishes the bass nicely.

Cheers, Lee

[quote name='lscolman' post='810070' date='Apr 18 2010, 09:50 AM']Hi Rhys,

Have you any pics of neck and headstock binding? I haven't been able to see the difference, although another member has mentioned that neck binding finishes the bass nicely.

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

I've got a couple of old photo's somwhere - I'll try & get them scanned & put 'em up. (I've been meaning to do it for ages).

[quote name='marcus bell' post='810608' date='Apr 18 2010, 07:18 PM']make sure you get the full active electronics and also a nice addition is the xlr output socket :)...
the rollerball nut is also very nice :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hi Marcus,

John has confirmed that the XLR socket would be a non cost option, so I'll go for that! I agree that the roller but would be worth the money. The standard plastic one doesn't look good at all.

Have you any pics of neck and headstock binding?

I'm also considering blue LED's on the front of the neck, which John has advised would be £300.

Cheers, Lee

There's a great picture of a bound headstock (and inlaid JD logo) on the Jaydee website:

[url="http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=26"]http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=26[/url]

Looks a million times better than the unbound ones IMO.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='810123' date='Apr 18 2010, 10:36 AM']My two favourites are Captain Bassman's GA24 with the pointy head & Moo's Starchild (made recently in 2008.) Apologies for the theft of pictures :)

[/quote]
That GA24 is gorgeous. The Starchilalike, not so much.

I used to (many years ago!) own 2 JDs and have a few recollections.
One of them was a GA24 that had been defretted. It was a lovely bass and sounded great as a fretless, but in the end stretching down to the far end of the neck just got too much for me! Those first couple of frets are a long way away.... The other one was a classic series one; it was also a lovely bass but was replaced by a 70s stingray which has been my sole companion since!
If I was ordering a nice shiny new one I would:
Not worry about the XLR socket (though you say it's free so why not!) I don't think I used it once...
Upgrade the knobs to either metal to match the string anchors or wood (to match the pickup covers)
Rather than blue LEDs, if I had the funds I'd get something 'personal' inlaid on the fret board.
I also agree that the headstock/neck binding adds a certain amount of class to a JD!
Enjoy it when it comes (I see that Mr. D is quoting a 16 month delivery time -eeek!)

For me, a Roadie is the simple model and so I would rather a simple bass. Mine is a Roadie 1A, one pickup and active and beautifully made, been my staple bass for >25 years. I wouldn't even bother with the xlr if you're not going to use it, just adds clutter.

I'd ask for no tone control (you get bass/middle/treble with the active, mine has never moved off '10' and adds an unnecessary knob), binding is personal preference, I like without but looks cool with. Can the roller nut rattle at all - how about a simple brass one? I would spend the led money on a bookmatched front if you like the exotic look. For me, a def 'no' to gold fittings!

More importantly, decide on one or two pickups, or whether to just go for a Mark King with the straight through neck etc - although Roadies have that 'I'm not a Mark King' something about them! Also an ebony fingerboard is wonderful - especially if you're going to slap - not sure if they're standard.

You'll be pleased I'm sure with the bass, I'm envious. Be sure to let us see it. I have no need for any more basses but if I ha some money to burn I'd take the pleasure in ordering one from John. They are wonderful.

>Quick edit - Don't be tempted not to have a passive mode, when the batteries go they go quick, easier to flick the switch than change the battery during the gig. Passive is a nice Jacko sort of middly sound, useful in itself.

(I'm getting excited myself about this!)

Edited by 4 Strings

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. Of course I couldn't accomodate what everyone felt was best, but looking at pics and taking advice on board, this is what I have on order now:-

Jaydee Roadie 2A

White body and headstock

Bottom of body pointed (like GA24 and to make it more unique)

All Chrome hardware

Chrome Truss Rod Cover

Chrome teardrop tailpieces

Chrome Adjustable Nut

XLR Socket

Blue front and side LED's

Neck Binding

I can't frickin' wait for it to arrive. Just 16 months to go...

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1

[quote name='lscolman' post='819816' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:25 PM']Hi,

Thanks for all the input. Of course I couldn't accomodate what everyone felt was best, but looking at pics and taking advice on board, this is what I have on order now:-

Bottom of body pointed (like GA24 and to make it more unique)

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

Why not go the whole hog and have a Roadie made in the GA shape with a 24-fret neck? That's what I have. I would also recommend relocating the jack socket to the edge of the body, to stop those ugly stress cracks that seem to plague most Jaydees that have been well used. Also, in case you didn't know, the xlr is not a balanced line out like on a Wal, it's just an alternative method of plugging the bass in so if you don't already use that kind of jack with your cables, I would ask if you really need it. The body looks cleaner without it.

[quote name='GeeCee' post='819992' date='Apr 26 2010, 09:46 PM']Why not go the whole hog and have a Roadie made in the GA shape with a 24-fret neck? That's what I have. I would also recommend relocating the jack socket to the edge of the body, to stop those ugly stress cracks that seem to plague most Jaydees that have been well used. Also, in case you didn't know, the xlr is not a balanced line out like on a Wal, it's just an alternative method of plugging the bass in so if you don't already use that kind of jack with your cables, I would ask if you really need it. The body looks cleaner without it.[/quote]

Hi,

You've given me some food for thought there. I'm going down to see a few different body shapes at the workshop in the next couple of weeks already, so will ask John about possibly using the GA24 shape and neck. I've paid my deposit, but am still making small changes to my requirements. Needed to pay the deposit to get in the queue. I'm two days in now, into a 16 month wait ;-)

I totally agree about the relocation of the jack socket. That is a great idea, and I'll ask for that. There are so many poorly Jaydee's with repairs around that area, I would hate mine to suffer that fate.

I partially agree with the removal of the XLR socket, but to be fair I still to finalise a few things, like location of the swtiche(s) for the LED's. Are there are pics of yours about?

Cheers, Lee

[quote name='GeeCee' post='819992' date='Apr 26 2010, 09:46 PM']Why not go the whole hog and have a Roadie made in the GA shape with a 24-fret neck? That's what I have. I would also recommend relocating the jack socket to the edge of the body, to stop those ugly stress cracks that seem to plague most Jaydees that have been well used. Also, in case you didn't know, the xlr is not a balanced line out like on a Wal, it's just an alternative method of plugging the bass in so if you don't already use that kind of jack with your cables, I would ask if you really need it. The body looks cleaner without it.[/quote]

Here-here on the GA body and 24 fret neck, great idea! Also agree on the XLR, unnecessary to my mind.

Not seen the stress cracks though, mine seems fine and has had a busy life.

Its going to be great, and I'm sure John won't mind you changing things (even the colour) until he's actually started on it (you might wait until you know them all and tell him once though).

Another days wait gone!

Hi,

Yep another day gone, another couple of options discussed with John.

This time, it's for an active/passive switch. Sounds like a plan. No idea where to place this! I wonder if it could be placed on the rear of the bass, slighting recessed in the control cavity. I don't like the standard silver toggle switches.

Definately decided against the XLR now.

Current plan for the four-way LED switch is a smaller version of the standard pickup knob (which John has managed to source) This would be placed where the jack socket would normally be, and the jack socket located to the side of the body. A small silver plate under the switch without the LED will may it look sufficiently different.

I've used Paint to play about with what it looks like.

Also requested a custom slap groove, like this
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/reds42/3429647913/in/pool-jaydeeguitars"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/reds42/342964...l-jaydeeguitars[/url]

Should look reasonably unique...

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman