Why become a member? ×

‘El cheaP oh’ P bass – built on a shoestring budget!

KiOgon

My original idea was to put together a cheap fretless, just for fun, I started in about 1965 with a home made bass which at that time I couldn’t afford or get the fretwire for, so just played it without!

1 & 2, The body P style make unknown but seems a decent bit of wood. Stripped & cleaned, polished with Carnauba & copper screening added
3 & 4, Slightly unusual 6 bolt neck plate & screws came with. The hardware, all good enough, especially the bridge, cheap pups & electricals, pots cleaned with servisol + all wiring/soldering tidied up.
5, Earth wire under bridge.
6, Screening under pups + earth wire soldered to copper.
7, Copper under the pots & jack socket all linked with the brown wire.
8, All back together & electrics tested, waiting for a neck.

Edit: Pictures 2,3&5 removed to make space for finished job.

Edited by KiOgon

Hey John!

Fantastic, looking forward to seeing ths one take shape. If you had the choice, would you go for a Maple fretboard or Rosewood? - I've always liked that 'Hank Marvin' look. Candy Apple + Maple!

[quote name='dood' post='809237' date='Apr 17 2010, 10:47 AM']Hey John!

Fantastic, looking forward to seeing ths one take shape. If you had the choice, would you go for a Maple fretboard or Rosewood? - I've always liked that 'Hank Marvin' look. Candy Apple + Maple![/quote]

Sorry to disappoint mate - but I'm never going to be a skinny dark haired glasses wearing whammy w*nking lookalikey - -

Oh! I see what you mean :rolleyes: :)

TBH I'm not fussy, I have a neck on it's way from another BC'r, which is fretted & rosewood but most important = it's cheap!

I love the one piece maple of my '51P, I love the Bocote on my Skjold, Rosewood varies so much but the chances are on a cheap neck it ain't gonna be great. I shall do my usual toothbrush with Lemon oil & see how it comes up.

Now where's that postman? More bits required!

Cheers Dood,
John

[quote name='KiOgon' post='809255' date='Apr 17 2010, 11:06 AM']Sorry to disappoint mate - but I'm never going to be a skinny dark haired glasses wearing whammy w*nking lookalikey - -[/quote]

Tea>>Keyboard lol!!!

Great to here parts are on the way! Indeed, I'm off to the post box in a sec myself! :))

[quote name='silentbob' post='814323' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:31 PM']Hi, doing a cheap(ish) p-bass rebuild myself and was interested to know weather the wiring was re-soldered as you found it, or did you reposition any of the wires/capacitor, as the wiring on my p-bass seems to be totally different. Thanks, Rob.[/quote]
Hi Rob,
Re-soldered as was, nothing changed but the brown wire soldered to the copper foil is my addition. I haven't got a neck yet, so not able to try it with strings but seems to work OK.
How different can your's be? If mine doesn't sound right I'll probably try this: [url="http://support.fender.com/diagrams/basses/0190115C/SD0190115CPg2.pdf"]Fender '57 P bass[/url] which I think the only difference is the way the cap is wired in.

Good luck,
John

The *Headline Act* :lol: I got the Vintage P bass neck from oldslapper (cheers mate) & weren't too sure about the head shape :rolleyes: :) So after filling the old screw holes, spot the vertical one! A lot of deliberation, a bit of pencil work,
a few minutes with my coping saw & a while with sandpaper - we have :lol:

More to follow,
Cheers,
John

Edit; Pictures 4 & 7 removed.

Edited by KiOgon

Most of my time was spent on the neck; filling all the old holes, re-shaping the head, sanding, re drilling for new machine heads & 6 bolt fitting. Then re-varnishing, polishing, tidying the frets & cleaning the finger board with Lemon oil. The new machine heads were supplied with the neck, thanks John - oldslapper, but the screws that came with were rubbish so I used real Fender screws. The lovely P bass knobs were a freebie from Ou7shined thanks Rich & the thumbrest another gimme from Voxpop thanks Marc. I have a gold scratchplate (oldslapper) & gold screws courtesy of Dood - thanks Dan, not fitted yet, thought I'd try the original white for a start.

I fitted a set of 'run in' flats of my '51P & set the bridge 'as low as it goes', when it's settled I may need to tweek the truss rod but at the moment it's fine with strings up 2.5mm @ 7th, 3 @ 12th & 3.5 @ 20th frets. I like it a tad lower but I'm happy with for now. The bridge would benefit from some shorter adjusting screws, I will investigate, does anyone know what bridge that is BTW?

It's surprisingly good to play, plenty of output from the pup, no nasty noises & a good P tone. I set out to build a 'budget bass' & I reckon I've achieved that, total cost was £65 - thanks to a few freebies & bits I had - yes I could have got something for less off thebay, but where's the fun in that? At least I know this is put together & setup right :)
I've enjoyed the build, ended up with another fretted bass which wasn't my plan but hey, when a fretless neck comes my way :rolleyes:

Comments welcome :lol:

Edit: Picture limit exceeded - continued next post.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='oldslapper' post='823280' date='Apr 29 2010, 06:40 PM']Lovely job John!
Can you build me a bass for £65?? plz?? gwan!
:rolleyes:[/quote]

Cheers John - I'd be delighted to, do you know where there's some cheap bits going? :lol: :) :lol: