Why become a member? ×

Lessons

ThomBassmonkey

Is there ever a point you don't feel you need lessons?

I've never really had them (I think about 5 total and both teachers were awful so I didn't learn anything) and really want to start them to improve my playing. I've been playing 10 years though and am capable so I keep being told that I don't "need" lessons, which I agree with, but I think that I could be a lot better if I had structure to practice to instead of just noodling on my own with no real aim. The only thing stopping me is because I'm fairly capable, I want a high level teacher, and that's expensive (and I've had a severe GAS attack recently, so no money for a while).

Anyone else ever feel that despite their playing being as good as it needs to be for what they play, they still want lessons to improve beyond their needs?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='807598' date='Apr 15 2010, 08:40 PM']Is there ever a point you don't feel you need lessons?[/quote]
No. There's always something new to bring to the table.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='807598' date='Apr 15 2010, 08:40 PM']Anyone else ever feel that despite their playing being as good as it needs to be for what they play, they still want lessons to improve beyond their needs?[/quote]
Yes. I want to be as good as I can be, for my own satisfaction if nothing else.

I've been pro for 10 years now,and still feel the need to take lessons occasionally. I never want
to get to the point where I don't want to learn something new.
I still take lessons a few times a year,and to be honest the stuff I learn can easily be studied for
a good 6-12 months or more-it's some hard stuff,but it brings something new to my playing. Even
just talking to the guys for half the lesson is enough to give me inspiration and some new ideas
about how to approach things..not always musical.
Do I need lessons ? Probably not.
Do I want lessons ? Totally.

There has always been a time i thought i needed lessons.... there is always something to learn no matter how good you are..finding a good teacher is the pain..im a big believer that through the mine field that is teaching yourself, you find your own style, (bad habits and all).. more than you might be, being taught..BUT...getting a balance between that and getting knowledge from a source of more experience is the key...

i agree with Velvet, like i said there is always something to learn..depending on your aspirations..IMHO there are no boundries when it comes to music..a bit like maths but its from your soul..

you only need lessons if you feel you want to...having lessons are only one avenue..i started learning piano a while ago and its opened up my musical mind no end...im a better player for it...IMO its way better than having lessons on one instrument...

Chordal knowledge unlocks everything else..and i bet it will make you a better all round bassist

Edited by bubinga5

Also it depends what you're after from lessons - not everybody wants to work on their technique all the time. I've met plenty of students with lots of technique but not the first clue about what it all means (who then complain if you try to encourage them into other areas of the discipline). I'm not saying it's wrong, it just depends what your priorities are. A point does come though where further tech development is pointless without knowing (musically) why you're doing it.

And no, you can never reach a point where you'll never get any better - or at least if you do then perhaps it's time to give it up and do something else.

I had a few lesson when I first started playing and looking back they were quite useful, but apart from that have been self taught for 20 years. However, having recently split from my long term band, I have now begun to realise that for the last 7 years of so, I've not really progressed or developed as a player. I was living in a comfort zone and now am beginning to discover that there is an awful lot more out there that could & will make me a better player - even if I go back to playing a similar genre.

If you can find a teacher who give you lessons that interest you, then it's got to be good, IMO. Any lesson which is a chore is pointless in my book.

If you care about the music you make, you never stop learning. Whether that means taking lessons or simply applying yourself to a study prinicple (i.e. buying a book on Latin bass, joining a band and getting that kind of groove under your hands) is a choice that you have to make.

I find going out for a lesson or just taking a gig where I get my ass handed to me is musically very refreshing and invigorating....

d

I am self taught and have played in loads of bands for 25 years, i play well by ear and could go to a pub jam and play any style with anyone off the cuff, however, I dont think I have improved much over the years I stick to my safe runs and licks and get by. I would look at "good" bass players though and always knew I was not at the same level. So I went to lessons 6 months ago.

Its been hard as I have had to unpick my bad playing methods, and the theory side did me in at first but now I have improved my playing 100% I am playing with knowledge and out of my old comfort zones, I am learning different styles and methods and its amazing I should have done it years ago.

I now play with musicians that I have played with for donkeys years and they can see a massive difference in my playing ability.

Just make sure that you get a good teacher and go for it

It has revitalised my love for bass and I will carry on with the lessons till I pack in or get fed up with them

Rob

I've always wanted to take lessons but there aren't really any good teachers round here (that i know of)
I considered taking lessons in Leeds but driving there every week or so would be far too costly.
It's quite tempting to take piano lessons like bubinga5 said. I've always liked the piano...

Anyway, yes, I think lessons are very important.
They're only worthwhile if you're actually learning though, just going through the motions is a bit pointless.
If you can't get good ones I think it's worth keeping a practice schedule and making everything you practice worthwhile. Books are pretty useful imo.