Why become a member? ×

Unrealistic volume requirements.

Musicman20

Recently I joined a covers band who play rock, pop and funk. Anything from The White Stripes to Foo Fighters to Stevie Wonder.

Volumes at rehearsals tend to be mid level for me which is fantastic, but I do wear ear protection. My now ex band back home were too loud so it just sounded like a big wall of mush.

Because my location means I travel via the metro to practice, they have a cheap backup carlsbro amp (100 watt ish) and 2 unknown make PA cabs, (1x12 no horn 8 ohms). If it's rubbish weather, they also have a cheapie bass that's left at the practice rooms. Sounds daft when I've got all this nice gear, but at the moment I don't need a car due to living right near everything apart from where they practice,

Normally, both 1x12s are plugged in, side by side, and I use my sansamp to make the amp sound half decent. The sansamp is also plugged into desk, at low levels. This setup works for practice.

Last night, I was only plugged into 1 112; the other was being used. I was also NOT turned on on the desk. All the volume was through ONE cheap 112 with a low powered amp.

We didn't even realise I wasn't coming through the PA. I was pretty much loud enough. It wasnt brilliant, but it worked. The band is drums, 3 guitars, (one is a brilliant tube 1x12 combo, one is a Tiny Terror through a 4x12, the last guitar is only on certain tracks to add depth) and lastly vocals.

This has made me realise that you just do not need massive rigs for certain bands.

So, live, will my TC RS210 be enough? They use a professional 10k rig for most the gigs. I'm thinking RS210 raised and placed horizontal, with amp on top, then DI'd through amp or sansamp to push out to the crowd and for my monitoring.

Edited by Musicman20

You are probably better off keeping the 2x10 vertical though - it will keep the dispersion more horizontal - help avoid the sound disappearing into the roof....

(Raise it by all means - although there are definitely benefits to keeping it on the floor, you being able to hear it whilst you are standing close to it, isn't one of them...)

Alan

[quote name='AlanP2008' post='804878' date='Apr 13 2010, 01:58 PM']You are probably better off keeping the 2x10 vertical though - it will keep the dispersion more horizontal - help avoid the sound disappearing into the roof....

(Raise it by all means - although there are definitely benefits to keeping it on the floor, you being able to hear it whilst you are standing close to it, isn't one of them...)

Alan[/quote]

Actually, yes I see what you mean. I will try a few different arrangements.

All this talk of large rigs when their is a huge professional PA there just doesnt seem to make sense. As long as Ive got my sound, and the band can hear it through at least monitoring, ill be happy. The PA can do the work...

I used to gig with just one Ashdown 2x10 and a 300 watt amp in my 7 piece covers band and it was OK. However, I now much prefer my Schroeder 2x12 and Markbass 500w head, not for the volume (it doesn't get turned beyond 10 O'Clock really) but for the slightly bigger bottom end and the way it now fits in the mix sooo much better. One cab setups rule (especially come packing up time) and if you've got PA reinforcement you're laughing.

For stage monitoring I would guess this will struggle with the line-up you have so I'd add another RS210.
2 or 3 gtrs and powerful drums is a full mix, unless the gtrs are very attuned to dynamics and drop in and out which isn't a universal gtr trait, IMO.
Of course, you'll get away with it at some venues but not others.

I'd take the two RS cabs as your rig for this band....or the DB212.

All depends on stage volume. If you're using decent foldback monitors do you need an amp rig at all? (I say this having followed you recent amp rig exploits - I'm a git aren't I :) )

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='805029' date='Apr 13 2010, 04:25 PM']All depends on stage volume. If you're using decent foldback monitors do you need an amp rig at all? (I say this having followed you recent amp rig exploits - I'm a git aren't I :) )[/quote]

+ 1 hahah.

Just use the sansamp and use the massive power of the PA....ive done that before in previous bands with great success.