Why become a member? ×

Storing a bass

thedontcarebear

I have a bass that I don't use, and it doesn't seem anyone wants to buy it for over half the price I paid for it, so I wanna know the best way to store it, would it be okay in just its case? Should I get some of those things that soak up the moisture etc to go in there too? It has a wax finish if that makes a difference.

Never had to do this, but I don't like the idea of shutting it in its case...

I would tend to keep it in a spare room in a case laid flat on the floor..and have the case open so the wood can breathe and certainly not clamped shut..
Or kept under a bed so sunlight and dust could not get to it...and fully supported underneath..again, case not shutdown

And I would want to look at it every so often so nothing nasty is happening to it...

Just my take....

Edited by JTUK

Even if it is so unloved, is it not worth just keeping it out and in regular use; as that is the best way to ensure that it stays in good condition? As for your bass... :)

In all seriousness I'd not stick it away in a case and forget about it, best to just keep it around the house to noodle on. If it really offends you to have it around the house then ebay will be your best bet. BTW what is it?

The main things you need to watch out for are significant swings in temperature and humidity. This goes for whether it's being stored for a few months or just out on a stand in a room somewhere.

Some basic things to avoid are leaving it anywhere near a radiator, in an attic or in a garage as all these areas have massive swings in temp and hum. I have several basses and keep them in their cases when not being played but they all get a regular airing and check over. I have the radiator in the room where I keep my basses turned down low (or off) to avoid sudden blasts of central heating.

If you're not going to play it for a few months then detune by a semitone or so (but not too much). Unless it's in a temp/hum controlled environment the ambient temperature will inevitably vary a little from day to night and when the temp drops the strings will contract and put more stress on the neck - detuning a small amount just provides some leeway for this to happen.

Luckily I now have a room for my gear. I take them out and play/polish them all especially if ive been neglecting any.

Because they are all in proper supported hardcases, I dont worry about it. Its better than having them on a stand getting bumped.

Personally, hardcase with a few hours play every now and then wont hurt. Just watch out as sometimes the chrome can get strange 'bits' collected on it...so I always wipe the chrome down.

In

[quote name='ikay' post='803907' date='Apr 12 2010, 04:54 PM']The main things you need to watch out for are significant swings in temperature and humidity. This goes for whether it's being stored for a few months or just out on a stand in a room somewhere.

Some basic things to avoid are leaving it anywhere near a radiator, in an attic or in a garage as all these areas have massive swings in temp and hum. I have several basses and keep them in their cases when not being played but they all get a regular airing and check over. I have the radiator in the room where I keep my basses turned down low (or off) to avoid sudden blasts of central heating.

If you're not going to play it for a few months then detune by a semitone or so (but not too much). Unless it's in a temp/hum controlled environment the ambient temperature will inevitably vary a little from day to night and when the temp drops the strings will contract and put more stress on the neck - detuning a small amount just provides some leeway for this to happen.[/quote]

Good advice....my bass room has no heating on...the room is warm as it is...so I dont have any kind of heating on in the room.

Dont put the case or bass near any type of sunlight...it can do a fair bit of damage.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='803912' date='Apr 12 2010, 05:00 PM']Luckily I now have a room for my gear. I take them out and play/polish them all especially if ive been neglecting any.

Because they are all in proper supported hard-cases, I don't worry about it. Its better than having them on a stand getting bumped.

Personally, hardcase with a few hours play every now and then wont hurt. Just watch out as sometimes the chrome can get strange 'bits' collected on it...so I always wipe the chrome down.

In[/quote]

Spot -on.

If it has a HSC for that bass then that is the best place for it. 3 of my 5 live in the HSC most of the time, and come out and get swapped around for a while ( I just haven't room to have them all out, all of the time).

By all means lob in a small Silica gel sachet 'in the case' but not next to paint or wood. ( I put 2x 1" ones in the accessories compartment of the HSC ) also good advice about wiping fingerprints off metal surfaces and clean the strings too (I use fast fret for this chore).

they then live in the HSC laid flat on a carpeted floor (to avoid sudden temp swings) this equates to very happy little basses!
:)

Is this the AGC Finn? Strange how this hasn't shifted, but the market in this country is all about retro-shaped bargains at the moment. Times we're in, I guess.

I agree with Warwickhunt - why hide away such a nice bass? May as well play it till the market turns or you decide not to sell after all. :)

Having said that I know how bass stands can take up lots of room......

Edited by rjb

Playing it isn't really an option, as I have no need to, I'll just always use the Sandberg, so I don't see why! I'll leave it in its hardcase where it is then, and try a sale again soon if needs must (job security isn't great at the moment!). Will tune it down a bit etc too.