Why become a member? ×

Markbass 4*10 versus Aggy GS112?

nottswarwick

Although it sounds awesome, I am thinking of a change, and have always heard good things about the LM2 / GS112 combination.

I would intend to get 2 of the GS112 cabs, but just wondered if anyone had compared the Markbass 4*10 cabs with the Aggys? Will 2 12" cabs pump out like a 4*12? What about ONE 12" cab - maybe an unfair comparison.

So, would like to see what experiences anyone has before I go for it!

Chris

I think the MarkBass 4x10's have a particular sound to them - so it maybe a difference in tone tat will sway you more over. However, I think a couple of GS112's with the right amp will sound monsterous. Looking at the spec though - with the MB having the higher sensitivity - it will sound louder than the 2 GS112's

Not a fan of Markbass cabs myself but against a single GS112, this is not fair contest, IMV.
There is only so much you can expect out of a single 12", IMV

2x1x12 GS cabs is more like it and the pr of them will run the LMll to 500watts at 4 ohms.
I would deffo go down this route if it were me.

You'd have to get the4 MB 4x10 in 4 ohms

2 GS112's will run 600watts at £730 plus and they are nice spunky cabs IMO..

I run mine with an SM400 which is supposed to be similar to an LMll... but I haven't put the amps side by side..
and they sound great but I'll have a better perspective when I have gigged them a bit more.

Hi Chris, I've never used a MB 4x10 but I've heard one - it sounded quite middy to me. I use 2 GS112s - one has a tweeter and Dood's right, they sound monsterous with the right head (I use an Aguilar AG500) and they are a great match for an LMII or III, I know from experience (200+ gigs with that set up). They will sound different - less middy and deeper IMO.

I really love doing acoustic stuff with just one cab - the tone is orgasmic.

It might sound daft but a pair of 1x12's is greater than the sum of the parts... hmmm that doesn't sound convincing! :)

A single Aggie 112 is OK (nothing more imho) BUT two of them are so much better it's really revealing when you get a pair together.

As for the MB410; it's ALL down to personal taste but I wasn't blown away by the one that I tried. However the DB12's that I got just weeks after trying the MB410 were a significant improvement (for what I wanted :rolleyes: ).

<edit>

Having read NGH's comment I should quantify that I play in a 'rock' band and a single 12 doesn't do it for me even at rehearsals but I can appreciate that a quiet acoustic gig may be a different matter!

Edited by warwickhunt

I can't get away with 1 GS112 at rehearsal as the drummer is POWERFUL, but for jazz gigs it will do...but I love the weight and easy carry of these cabs. One in each hand isn't a big deal for a short distance and to carry one is almost an afterthought. Good sprung handle as well, but the weight of the cabs makes that not much relevant anyway..plus they fit in my car boot and not many cabs can do that..

The weight of each cab is supposed to be 42lbs... which is nothing, IMV, it is a dead easy carry to most people, I'd say.

Sound-wise, they are full and smooth as you will have to work in some mids. This can be a good way to approach this as some cabs cab be harsh in this area and more hassle to dial them out, than dial them in... IME.

I would say that I need more time to feel these are the best way forward for me, but I am very picky in this regard, and at the moment they are great, I think.

I will deffo end up with 2x1x12 cabs, of that I am nigh on certain.

I'd personally go for two 12" Aggies any day.

I like them better than the super efficient Sadowksy (Bergantino-built) SA410.

The 4x10 is louddr than a 2x12" setup, but the 2x12 fits better in a mix: they are simply better audible.

Edited by gillento

I have tried a Markbass 4x10 with a TC RH450 in a music store, and it sounded pretty nice. I have never tried that setup on a gig, though.

I have also owned a GS112, which is a great souding cab. Mostly, I used it for Double bass, but also with electric on smaller gigs. It is hard to compare a 1x12 or two 1x12 cabs wit a 4x10 and especially a 4x12. I also had the Aggie GS412 for a few years. GREAT sound, but a little 'hard to handle'... :-)

Am loving 2 GS112's which I find quite neutral or natural..depending how you want to describe it. Of course, the cab is reknown for being scooped somewhat...but I just set the para EQ level and use the mimimum tone controls, if at all.

The basses are active so have quite a lot of tone there anyway..but at this rate, I really can't see any reason to look at AG DB's or Bergs, especially as the latter have enjoyed a price rise recently...

I have no plans to change cabs soon and will probably sell my SWR's..

The GS112's are full but not boomy like some 15"s.. so I can easily retain defintion of notes down to my low B and not have them flub out..