Why become a member? ×

1977 Fender Jazz...what are your opinions?

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='794122' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:29 AM']Oh .....ive been offered this in a straight trade......what do you think?? i will be visiting them to play it of course...

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/6740"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/6740[/url][/quote]

I like the white with maple neck & tort guard look :)

Interesting that they call it a 'player's' bass - for some reason that makes me think it's not in as good condition as a 'collector's' bass?

Could just be the old sceptic in me again!

If the straight trade deal looks very favourable to their list price then that would raise a few doubts too. . .

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='794129' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:37 AM']What are you trading with them?[/quote]
One of these...difficult one to gauge...im still not sure as the CS is a very special Jazz and there is only 100 in the world...price wise they want £2250 for the 77. which i high IMO..

[url="http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.php?FenderPN=0131800_70"]http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.p...erPN=0131800_70[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='molan' post='794140' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:49 AM']If the straight trade deal looks very favourable to their list price then that would raise a few doubts too. . .[/quote]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='794143' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:50 AM']One of these...difficult one to gauge...im still not sure as the CS is a very special Jazz and there is only 100 in the world...price wise they want £2250 for the 77. which i high IMO..[/quote]

That deal is VERY favourable in relation to their list price.......

[quote name='molan' post='794140' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:49 AM']I like the white with maple neck & tort guard look :)

Interesting that they call it a 'player's' bass - for some reason that makes me think it's not in as good condition as a 'collector's' bass?

Could just be the old sceptic in me again!

If the straight trade deal looks very favourable to their list price then that would raise a few doubts too. . .[/quote]Im a sceptic too B...Mine field Vintage Fenders

[quote name='Beedster' post='794146' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:54 AM']That deal is VERY favourable in relation to their list price.......[/quote]Yeah i agree Chris but it depends on there pricing...dont think i would be loosing out considering mine...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='794150' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:58 AM']Yeah i agree Chris but it depends on there pricing...dont think i would be loosing out considering mine...[/quote]

Think you missed my point (in relation to Barrie's post which I quoted)

C

Looking at the pics it looks as though there is quite a bit of wear on the edges of the fingerboard. Just wondering if the photo's might flatter the condition a bit? It also seems a little odd that they're willing to do a straight swap to me if they are really standing behind the price. As lovely as your CS Jazz must be I find it a bit surprising - especially from a shop. The other thing I'd be slightly wary of is that the strings look quite badly off-centre to me - something you see quite a lot in Jazzes from this era and I think is often due to misplaced bridges (although sometimes a wobbly neck joint). Many will be quick to point at the supposedly dodgy QC from this era.... It may not be critical playability wise, but it would bug the hell out of me! I suppose you just need to try it, but personally I wouldn't worry if this one isn't perfect, if you hold out long enough there are surely enough of these about that you will come across "the one" sooner rather than later. Good luck!

P.S. If you wanted to try my `77 as a comparison you'd be welcome - looks like you live pretty near to me.