Why become a member? ×

aria pro sb 1000

gub

Crikey, has that not sold yet? Are you the seller per chance?[quote name='bh2' post='809358' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:57 PM']Oxford Guitar Gallery still has a superb lined fretless example for sale...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65879&hl=sb1000"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...9&hl=sb1000[/url][/quote]

Whoops my mistake, Aria did indeed release reissues in Paduk and Black but not available here![quote name='bassatnight' post='811663' date='Apr 19 2010, 06:46 PM']Its a shame Aria didn't go for the other finishes with the re-issues like the Paduk or the black...[/quote]

• 2 months later...

[font="Arial"][size=3]Hi, you SB fans might like to check out my [url="http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/aria.htm"]SB pages[/url] where you can compare models. The site was offline for about a year (sorry) but is active again.

Contributions still welcome![/size][/font]

Graeme

I've got a '78 or '79 SB1000 in mint condition...

...apart from the fact that the electrics need looking at (no output). :)

Guess I should get it fixed. Anyone know a place that could do the job? Bearing in mind that it could possibly be the sealed unit (pre-amp?) at fault.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' post='898179' date='Jul 18 2010, 04:52 PM']I've got a '78 or '79 SB1000 in mint condition...

...apart from the fact that the electrics need looking at (no output). :)

Guess I should get it fixed. Anyone know a place that could do the job? Bearing in mind that it could possibly be the sealed unit (pre-amp?) at fault.[/quote]
Could be bad news... the early ones have a nasty habit of going very wrong. Unplug the 10-way conblock, stick a meter across the red & white wires, & measure the pickup resistance. According to the Factory Specs, it should be around 11.2KΩ. If it's off the scale or significantly less than this, then it's gone Open- or Short-circuit respectively. Then it's transplant time I'm afraid, as these p/ups are epoxy-potted & can't be rewound. If it's OK, then the 'black box' circuit has gone & no-one really knows what's in it under all that epoxy (I'm pretty sure it's a dual op-amp configured as a unity-gain buffer, but I'd hesitate to put money on it).

Aria USA can supply replacement p/ups & circuitry, but only for the "re-issue", which appears to be a variation of the Series-2 circuit with the low-battery LED. This won't fit a Series-1, unless you're prepared to drill a hole in it.

The alternative is to get a replacement pickup from Aaron Armstrong (Kent's son), or possibly Wizard Pickups, and do away with the circuitry altogether. It's quite an easy mod to do whilst still keeping the 6-way pre-select switch - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5094&hl="]my Frankenfretless[/url] is all-passive & doesn't suffer from lack of output or undue noise.

Pete.

I've owned one for about 25 years & bought it second hand then. It was my one and only bass for at least 10 years, being gigged 3-4 times a week. It's been thrown around, whacked with drumsticks, crashed into cymbals and been through dozens and dozens of batteries. I was young, impetuous, and never actually liked it - probably because I'd had to sell a gorgeous midnight blue (correct me if not right colour for year :rolleyes:) Rickenbacker 4001.

It then spent about 10 years in my loft... years which were not kind.

The [b]good [/b]news is that it is currently with my friendly luthier getting a bit of TLC.

Now poor a stiff drink, sit comfortably and make sure a box of tissues are close at hand, because if I can work out how to upload pictures, you'll be weeping... :)

[attachment=54625:015.JPG][attachment=54626:006.JPG]
[attachment=54627:005.JPG][attachment=54628:008.JPG]

It[s] will get[/s] is getting better! I promise!

Edit: The serial number is 004087. Does that make it an early one? The electrics are all still working (or were when it went into the case all those years ago)

Edit #2: To show more shameful scenes of devastation
[attachment=54629:009.JPG][attachment=54630:012.JPG]

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' post='899414' date='Jul 19 2010, 09:00 PM']...It then spent about 10 years in my loft... years which were not kind.

The [b]good [/b]news is that it is currently with my friendly luthier getting a bit of TLC.

Now poor a stiff drink, sit comfortably and make sure a box of tissues are close at hand, because if I can work out how to upload pictures, you'll be weeping... :)

It[s] will get[/s] is getting better! I promise!

Edit: The serial number is 004087. Does that make it an early one? The electrics are all still working (or were when it went into the case all those years ago)

Edit #2: To show more shameful scenes of devastation[/quote]

The 0xxxxx S/N = 1980 - whether there's any arcane meaning to them, I know not. Mine is 049140 & my SB-900 is 059104... either Matsumoku were very busy bunnies or there's a code in there.

TBH I didn't cringe (much) at the photos. There's little there that can't be put back - recrown the frets, new toggle switch & the verdigris'd bridge should polish back up with a bit of effort. The worst bit is the tuners... they're quite, quite horrible... and virtually unobtainable. You might find that a set of Grovers would fit in there & look very close to the real McCoy.

At least you didn't EMG it, or let a mad router-wielding butcher near it like a couple of examples I've seen recently. I'm guilty of this too... how's this for a poorly executed really bad idea:

It's all better now:

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='899522' date='Jul 19 2010, 10:31 PM']At least you didn't EMG it, or let a mad router-wielding butcher near it like a couple of examples I've seen recently. I'm guilty of this too... how's this for a poorly executed really bad idea:[/quote]

I think we need an 'abused basses' thread :)
Nice ... er ... PUP job. it looks a lot better now.

Mine has had the dents steamed out a bit & the cellulose is being built up slowly by my luthier mate, now that he has got the 'vintage' tinting sorted out (big colour difference evident now bridge has been removed). I think he was looking at Gotoh winders - I'll have to check them out before purchase.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='899084' date='Jul 19 2010, 04:07 PM']Could be bad news... the early ones have a nasty habit of going very wrong. Unplug the 10-way conblock, stick a meter across the red & white wires, & measure the pickup resistance. According to the Factory Specs, it should be around 11.2KΩ. If it's off the scale or significantly less than this, then it's gone Open- or Short-circuit respectively. Then it's transplant time I'm afraid, as these p/ups are epoxy-potted & can't be rewound. If it's OK, then the 'black box' circuit has gone & no-one really knows what's in it under all that epoxy (I'm pretty sure it's a dual op-amp configured as a unity-gain buffer, but I'd hesitate to put money on it).

Aria USA can supply replacement p/ups & circuitry, but only for the "re-issue", which appears to be a variation of the Series-2 circuit with the low-battery LED. This won't fit a Series-1, unless you're prepared to drill a hole in it.

The alternative is to get a replacement pickup from Aaron Armstrong (Kent's son), or possibly Wizard Pickups, and do away with the circuitry altogether. It's quite an easy mod to do whilst still keeping the 6-way pre-select switch - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5094&hl="]my Frankenfretless[/url] is all-passive & doesn't suffer from lack of output or undue noise.

Pete.[/quote]
Thanks Pete,
It's probably the result of it languishing in the extreme temperatures of a loft for 20, or so, years.

[quote name='FlatEric' post='899893' date='Jul 20 2010, 12:27 PM']Oooo, I bet when you opened the case it was a bit of a shock. OUCH![/quote]
It was - I'd left the strings on, which then looked about as thick as my fingers due to the rust :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='899893' date='Jul 20 2010, 12:27 PM']Sound Pad. . . . . Ah, those were the days!!!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
I could never afford to buy from there. I got it second hand from Humbucker Music in Leicester (if you remember that place :lol:)

[quote name='Norris' post='899925' date='Jul 20 2010, 12:58 PM']I could never afford to buy from there. I got it second hand from Humbucker Music in Leicester (if you remember that place :rolleyes:)[/quote]

Ah, yes, I remember it well!!!! :lol:

Green Lane Road - Bridge Road - Some really great gear.

John always prided himself on GOOD second hand stuff.
Great shop, sadly gone and so is John. :)
Used to meet up with him at a small bore pistol club - he was a VERY good shot.
Would like to see some "shots" of your SB, when it is done. :lol:

Cheers. :lol:

[quote name='amenra' post='900638' date='Jul 21 2010, 12:12 AM']great guitar the oxford one is not their I purchased it and now have passed it on to alex at the bass gallery check it out very nice john taylor loved this make and models[/quote]

You didn't like it?

• 2 months later...

hello to all. I have two SB-1000 basses. That is pretty much all I know about them. I know one ( my Oak one ) must be a re issue. There is no serial number on the back and all the hardware is gold and has the normal body you would see on it. Now my other SB-1000 is a smaller version of it. It has the serial number on the back which tells me it is a 1985 model. Now everything about this bass is smaller. The headstock is smaller, as well as the body. All the hardware is also chrome, not gold plated. The bride is much wider than my oak one. I just need some help in letting me know what the heck I have here. All help is welcome. I'm attaching some pic's for you all to take a look at.
The Oak SB-1000 I bought in 1995 for $600.00. It came with all the gold hardware but there was no serial number on it letting me know when it was produced. So I virtually know nothing about this bass. My black SB-1000 I bought in Japan and had it shipped here. According to the serial number on the back it is telling me that it was produced in 1985. Now the real question is, this bass is much smaller than my Oak one. The body is smaller, the headstock is shorter, the scale length is 32 inches (not 34) and the neck is wider where it joins the body. The bridge is chrome and wide, not gold and narrow like on other SB1000s. So what the heck do I have in this black SB, and really the oak one as well. I'm going to post some pic's here for you all to look at and I will post a link to my photobucket account as well. All help is welcome. I am just really stumped.

[url="http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/Panther73/SB-1000/"]http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/Panther73/SB-1000/[/url]

Thanks,

Jason

[quote name='Midnight' post='967952' date='Sep 25 2010, 08:33 PM']hello to all. I have two SB-1000 basses. That is pretty much all I know about them.
All help is welcome. I am just really stumped.

[url="http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/Panther73/SB-1000/"]http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/Panther73/SB-1000/[/url]

Thanks,

Jason[/quote]
Welcome aboard Jason, still can't help with that lovely "shorty" SB-1000 - other than this link: [url="http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/sb1000.htm"]http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/sb1000.htm[/url] - which shows another example.

Pete.

Hey Pete,

Well I found out what I have here In the black SB-1000.

Hello, your black SB-1000 is actually an SB-1010. It is exactly like the SB-1000 in every way...(cue 'suspenseful' Dr. Evil music).

Except medium scale.

It's listed in my '86 Japanese catalog, and I had a Japanese bassist tell me what the description meant. OK, it's not exactly the same in every way. :) It's a medium scale version of the SB-1000, scaled down for Japanese players - smaller body, headstock and of course the scale. The bridge is different as you also noticed. The BB Circuit is the same... There is no photo here, just the description, SB-1010. It's such a rare bass!

Hi, I just posted about your bass, the SB-1010. Do you mind if I use some of the pics to make a post of it on my blog? I'd give you credit for the pics of course and a link if you'd like. It's such a rare bass! I think I've only seen two or three others on the Japanese auction site and on Graeme Fyfe's Aria SB pages...

Well It looks like I have something extreamly special and rare. I have to say it sounds so good and play so well too. I was extreamly lucky when I bough this In Japan that it turned out to be this rare!!!!

Jason

The SB1000 is one of my favourite basses. I bought a JT signature one about 5 or 6 years ago and I really like it. For me, the main plus point is the thinness of its neck however on the down side, the large solid body does make it rather heavy. Sound wise its definitely got a mid bias, as already mentioned, and this coupled with the fast neck makes it ideal for chic / duran duran funk / pop. I have experimented with different strings on it and have now settled on DR Extra Life "Black Beauties" which not only give it a tight punchy sound but also compliment the JT's black hardware rather nicely.