Why become a member? ×

Wal MK1 Fretless

andyorks

[quote name='walbassist' post='803432' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:44 AM']I think that's very harsh on Paul.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more - Paul was working at Wal for a long time before Pete had to pack it in. He's also established a fine reputation as a maker/repairer in his own right. There is no one alive more qualified to take it on and produce instruments equal or probably better than earlier examples. Pete himself used to say that his current instruments were the best they'd made. What that does to percieved secondhand values is another issue, of course.

I don't normally get involved in "for sale discussions" but I'll make an exception here. :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='803432' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:44 AM']I think that's very harsh on Paul.[/quote]

Agree with that. I thought Paul Herman worked for Electric Wood anyway but has now taken over Wal? It's not like Epiphone are building them now :)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='803473' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:21 AM']I sold a similar one about a year ago (not a scratch on it), I asked for 2500 euros (even at that price it took quite some time to sell it (only one person was interested)).
But if you find the right person at the right time, you might pull if off. I think that in the States there is a bigger market when you want to achieve this sort of price for a Wal bass.[/quote]

+1 to that - an 85 4 string Mk 1 went on Australian EvilBay yesterday for £3,457 so it's definitely all about the right time & person.

Good luck with the sale, it's a beautiful bass and hopefully it won't have to go on ebay (sellers fees at that price? ouch!)

Paul Herman was as involved (if not moreso) in the making of Wals as Pete the Fish.
To say that the new ones are just 'under licence' or not as good as earlier ones is both unfair and inaccurate. I know you're trying to sell a bass but outright conjecture/misrepresentation ain't gonna help... :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='jsixties' post='802488' date='Apr 11 2010, 12:04 PM']It worth for this one but take a look at this:
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647160"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647160[/url][/quote]
Crikey!! :)

[quote name='andyorks' post='803401' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:15 AM']Hi
This bass is as new not just in good condition and it was built by the people who made Wal great. A new one is just a bass built under license, very good but it's never going to be the same as owning a real Wal.
I think it is priced about right, it will cost you £3300 for a new one, you'll have to wait a while, it's a voyage into the unknown and it never have a collectable value. This one however is a classic, £3500 seems a fair price.[/quote]

I nominate you for arse of the month.

Sorry if I offended some of you but to be fair I did say the new Wals are very good. I'm sure Paul is a brilliant luthier, I just feel that the older basses will unfortunately and inevitably have a higher value in the long term. I probably shouldn't post things when I've just got up but "arse of the month" is a bit strong.

Andy

Yes, "arse of the month" was a bit over the top. I mean, there's an election going on so there's numerous folk with their heads above the parapet that are far more deserving of the title. However, not only would Paul Herman I'm sure be offended to hear somebody suggest he's just "licensed" the Wal brand, so would Pete Stevens. Over the years, and especially towards the end of his particular road, Pete, I understand, turned down a few offers for the Wal brand from much bigger outfits. Offers which would have made him a tidy sum, and ultimately most likely see the Wal brand devalued. He held-out because it was important for him that Wal was left in good hands – Paul Herman.

Yours is a lovely Wal, but I think you're asking too much for it, and trying to justify the price by ignorantly casting aspersions on Paul and new Wals is, well, it's just not cricket. If I had £3.5k to spend on a Wal I would undoubtedly be knocking on Paul's door to order a new one. The majority of people here who know what they're on about would I suspect do the same.

Phil

Edited by philw

It was only inevitable that this Pete-era Wal thing would happen - I think it was actually discussed in another thread - the same way people like to point out their bass is from the Ian(?) Waller era 'The Golden Age' some would have u believe.

Any-hoo as wonderful as this bass may be i think it might be pretty subjective as how it is better than Pauls til someone puts them up against each other. If Paul is using the same woods, techniques and QC etc in previous years then the only variation will come is in the Hand made input and some would say thats what ur paying for ie no two Wals should be identical anyway.

As for Arse of the month, i think it could have been worse :)

Also If i had £3.5K I would at least make an offer on this as I really want one, but i want it NOW!!!!

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob