Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this amp/cab combo?

Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='792154' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:01 PM']Now that's what I'm talking about :)[/quote]

I do believe that's a shot from the Notting Hill Carnival and that sound system or one similar is often located on the side of where I used to live during Carnival weekend.

I can feel the headache just looking at that pic!

[quote name='Moos3h' post='792223' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:53 PM']I do believe that's a shot from the Notting Hill Carnival and that sound system or one similar is often located on the side of where I used to live during Carnival weekend.

I can feel the headache just looking at that pic![/quote]
It looks legendary.. I want it :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='792229' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:56 PM']It looks legendary.. I want it :)[/quote]

so what amp head did you go for?
+1 on the 10's or 12's cab option. I always used a 4x10 until recently, loved the attack you get.
I have just changed to a 2x12, this is a good compromise as you get more bottom end than 10's but still get lots of trebley goodness.

Cheers

thebassman

Edited by thebassman

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='792111' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:28 PM']Had a mooch round a local guitar shop today for further research and was told that I should be looking at bigger speakers rather than 4x10s etc and promptly got pointed in the direction of a 2x15 £1000 job by peavey :)
it was nearly as tall as me :rolleyes:[/quote]

What utter rubbish, and you could pick up a 2x15 peavey or an old HH for peanuts.

I use a 2x15, and to me their advantage is that most of them have wheels at the back so its a built in stack truck and no lifting required. [we dont do upstairs]

4x10s have become something of an industry standard, and if you look through manufacturers catalogues theres more 4x10s than 2x15s.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='792221' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:52 PM']I'll let you off because you're a cutie if your pic is anything to go by :rolleyes:[/quote]

Please don't, your making me blush. :lol:
Blushing is embarrassing by it's very nature but even more so at my age :)

My personal arrangements are 2, 2x10's. Thusly, my rig looks like the 'standard' 4x10 from a couple of feet away, but is a lot easier to move about and more importantly stack in cars.

Also, for financial and practical reasons my two cabs where *very* second hand when I bought them. They're both Peavey 210TVX's, one carpet covered and one vinyl. One had the name of the previous owners band spray paint stencilled across the grille, which I've sprayed back over with black, but it can still be seen from most angles. I love the fact that they have a lot of history beyond my measly 7 gig career, I love the fact that I don't care who moves them around or asks to play through them and most of all I love the fact that they cost me £60 each :-)

Just my tuppence...

Excuse the shameless plug but I've got a Mag 600R (rack mountable 575w head) and an Ashdown Mag 115 Deep on here that you could have for £230 but I'm guessing Oxford is a bit far for you and the two would cost A LOT to courier.
Ashdown make good stuff though and have a nice tone. I had these two paired with an Ashdown ABM410 and it was seriously loud. A 4x10 would probably be more flexible for you but they tend to be heavy suckers with my ABM almost 40kg on its own... compare that to my Barefaced compact at 12kg!

[quote name='bumnote' post='792262' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:20 PM']What utter rubbish, and you could pick up a 2x15 peavey or an old HH for peanuts.

I use a 2x15, and to me their advantage is that most of them have wheels at the back so its a built in stack truck and no lifting required. [we dont do upstairs]

4x10s have become something of an industry standard, and if you look through manufacturers catalogues theres more 4x10s than 2x15s.[/quote]

Agreed, I picked up my Acoustic 2x15 with a non-working head for £52 a while back. And as we all know, Acoustic are the worlds best amps!

Hi Sarah,

I've used several combinations of cabs and amps over the years, Hiwatt 1x18, HH 4x12, Musicman 1x15, peavey 2x10, 4x10, EBS 2x10, demeter 3x10, and lately neo 112s. In my experience, by far the loudest and fullest sound for a cab on it's own is unquestionably the EBS 2x10, not a Neoline, but an old battleaxe of a thing I picked up for 250 quid! If you come across one S/H well worth a look. I was playing with a 4 piece guitar rock band, 2 deafening guitarists, and the drummer was the loudest I have worked with, but this single cab cut it, though driven by an Eden WT800.
I'd suggest going for 8 ohm 2x10 cab for now (like the EBS). This gives you the flexibility to add 2nd similar cab in future/as required, and will optimize efficiency of your amp, by getting total speaker load down to 4 ohms, also moving more air than a single 4x10 cab will (these are typically 8 ohms too), and being easier to haul.
There are lots of 2x10's knocking around reasonably cheap. Personally, I find the Peavey 2x10 to be a bit mid-scooped, so wouldn't recommend it as a single cab for use on it's own. Similarly, I find a lot of neo cabs (cabs fitted with lighter neodymium speakers) to sound too hi-fi, too smooth and gruntless. That's fine for some situations, but from your description of your band setup, you need cabs with attitude!
I used one of the Ashdown heads you suggested earlier, thru an SWR workingmans 2x10, and I was very impressed, though the levels were relatively low, so no great test of grunt.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Gerry