Why become a member? ×

Carl Radle. What a waste of talent!

The Burpster

I dont as a rule get gushy about bass players.

My G'tard has got me researching and learning Derek and the Dominos tracks becaues he likes shredding EC stylee. :)

The more I listened the more I realised that the bass player wasnt just good, he was very very good and made very clever use of what, and how he played.

As a wise Blues player said to me some time ago,

"you'll know when you have it son, you dont play the blues, you have the blues!"

The more I listen to Radle's playing the more I realise he most certainly 'had it!'

When out of curiosity I wiki'd Radle to find out what he was doing now, I discovered he died in 1980 at 38 from drugs and booze abuse......
What an absolute waste and a crying shame.

So for those of you that dont know of this amazing talent -

[url="http://www.carlradle.com/index.htm"]http://www.carlradle.com/index.htm[/url]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='788903' date='Mar 28 2010, 09:30 PM']When out of curiosity I wiki'd Radle to find out what he was doing now, I discovered he died in 1980 at 38 from drugs and booze abuse......
What an absolute waste and a crying shame.[/quote]

+1, a sad loss at a young age. His playing on 461 Ocean Boulevard is immaculate.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='788903' date='Mar 28 2010, 09:30 PM']When out of curiosity I wiki'd Radle to find out what he was doing now, I discovered he died in 1980 at 38 from drugs and booze abuse......
What an absolute waste and a crying shame.[/quote]

Derek & The Dominoes were notorious for overdoing it. Sad loss.

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='788931' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:06 PM']Great bass player, can't understand why he never makes a lot of people's top 10 or 20 bass players.

I might be wrong, but isn't that him on Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends"?. If it isn't, whoever it is copped Radle's feel big time!

Cheers.
iamthewalrus[/quote]

the original grease band bass player was Alan spenner. he was rumoured to be the only white bass player offered a job by motown

I believe Chris Stainton played bass on With A Little Help From My Friends. That was recorded before, but released after, Alan Spenner joined the Grease Band.

This record was recorded several years before Carl Radle's first recording with Delany and Bonnie in 1969.

[quote name='bumnote' post='788943' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:19 PM']the original grease band bass player was Alan spenner. he was rumoured to be the only white bass player offered a job by motown[/quote]

Bob Babbit?

[quote name='chris_b' post='788949' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:28 PM']I believe Chris Stainton played bass on With A Little Help From My Friends. That was recorded before, but released after, Alan Spenner joined the Grease Band.[/quote]

Clappers' keys player?

Saw Carl Radle with EC in the mid 70's, one of the first people I saw playing a Stingray.Great tone and feel.
Think the EC band had an endorsement deal with Musicman, as they were all using their amps as well as basses and guitars.

Have always loved Carl's playing, especially with the Dominos.

[quote name='chris_b' post='788949' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:28 PM']I believe Chris Stainton played bass on With A Little Help From My Friends. That was recorded before, but released after, Alan Spenner joined the Grease Band.

This record was recorded several years before Carl Radle's first recording with Delany and Bonnie in 1969.[/quote]

You are right it was apparently

With A Little Help From My Friends 4:05
Backing Vocals - Madeline Bell , Rosetta Hightower , Sunny Wheetman
Bass - Chris Stainton
Drums - B.J. WIlson
Guitar - Jimmy Page
Organ - Tommy Eyre

[quote name='The Funk' post='788989' date='Mar 28 2010, 11:06 PM']Bob Babbit?[/quote]

Thats the trouble with walking round with lots of suspect useless information in your head and not thinking about it :)

Edited by bumnote