Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker

firstkingofleon

[quote name='firstkingofleon' post='788246' date='Mar 27 2010, 10:18 PM']Weird question, but has anyone near suffolk got a Rickenbacker/Rickenbacker copy i could test out?
i'm in the midst of possibly buying a copy and just want to make sure i get along with the body shape/neck and everything else.
any help would be greatly appriciated

cheers, Adam[/quote]
What are you buying? If it's one of the modern copies (Rockinbetter, Jayro, Shine, Indie etc) they have more conventionally-shaped necks than Ricks or 70s MIJ copies. Rickenbacker necks are more or less parallel - they're not a whole lot wider at the body-end than the nut, and this makes string spacing pretty tight. Modern copies have a more normal neck shape with standard string spacing.

Jon.

its a CMI rickenbacker copy, but its had the bridge replaced with a real rick bridge, as well as real rick pickups and wiring.

at the moment i play a squier jazz, but i'm looking for variation, and i felt a rickenbacker copy would be really good, love the look, love the rick sound.

would i be able to get along with the rick neck and body shape after playing a squier jazz?

[quote name='firstkingofleon' post='788405' date='Mar 28 2010, 11:50 AM']its a CMI rickenbacker copy, but its had the bridge replaced with a real rick bridge, as well as real rick pickups and wiring.

at the moment i play a squier jazz, but i'm looking for variation, and i felt a rickenbacker copy would be really good, love the look, love the rick sound.

would i be able to get along with the rick neck and body shape after playing a squier jazz?[/quote]

I've just bought one of these and if it's in decent nick I couldn't recommend one enough, they are very faithful copies.

You probably won't have too many problems adjusting (and even if you don't like it the demand for these is high and you can sell on easily). I found the only difficulty was finding somewhere to anchor my thumb for fingerstyle playing but I use the bridge PU or the edge of the scrathplate nearer the neck.

[quote name='spongebob' post='788558' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:18 PM']I'd save a few £££ and buy a 2nd hand real one.

When it comes to a Ric, and re-sale value, it's your best bet.

Believe me, when you've played a real one, anything else is just, I'm sorry, not worth bothering with.[/quote]
You haven't played a good Japanese copy. :)

J.

[quote name='spongebob' post='788558' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:18 PM']I'd save a few £££ and buy a 2nd hand real one.

When it comes to a Ric, and re-sale value, it's your best bet.

Believe me, when you've played a real one, anything else is just, I'm sorry, not worth bothering with.[/quote]

Never an option for me, I'm simply not spending a grand and a half on an instrument when plenty of the copies do a brilliant job. I wouldn't want the responsibility of gigging an instreument that costs me a months wages. In fact I reckon any real Rick owner would struggle to tell the difference if they were to listen to 2 sound samples, one of a good 70s Jap copy and one of a genuine Rick.

Also, the argument about re sale value applies equally to the 70s copies which are highly sought after.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='788487' date='Mar 28 2010, 01:31 PM']Is it the turquoise one thats been on here? Nice looking bass.

Check out my CMI Rickenbacker thread for some discussion (and well informed info from Jon) on the brand. They are lovely built basses and unlike a lot of copies actually sound like a real Rick.[/quote]

yeah its the turquoise one, real nice looking faker

[quote name='firstkingofleon' post='788405' date='Mar 28 2010, 11:50 AM']would i be able to get along with the rick neck and body shape after playing a squier jazz?[/quote]

This is a difficult one as I learnt to play on a Rick and they've been my bass of choice pretty much ever since; I don't however get on with the Jazz shape at all (and have never been keen on the necks), hence the recent sale of my Road Worn. You'll only find out when you play it.