Why become a member? ×

Gus Basses - Anyone tried them? What are they like?

Grand Wazoo

I own these:

[url="http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/?action=view&current=DSC02163.jpg"][/url]

What exactly do you want to know? For comparisons to more "traditional" basses I'm not really your man as my main bass before I got my first Gus was an Overwater Original and before that a short scale Burns Sonic.

For me they tick all the boxes that the traditional/conventional basses don't. They look good, they're comfortable and properly and ergonomically designed. If these things are important to you then you should investigate further.

It's a pity that Simon Farmer (the man behind Gus) doesn't feel the need to do the UK musical instrument shows anymore. I ordered my first Gus guitar and a couple of years later the black G3 bass after spending a few hours playing his various demo models on his stand at Music Live and the LGS. I believe that Simon still operates his trial service. If you're definitely interested have a look [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/faq.php"]here at the last FAQ[/url] and get in touch with him.

As for the price - yes they're expensive compared with factory-built basses, if you want something that stands out from the crowd that's the kind of money that you are going to be looking at for an individually hand-made instrument. There's at least 150 man hours worth of construction in each Gus instrument which at a sensible hourly rate accounts for a fair proportion of the price. Also every part on a Gus except the strap locks and machine heads is either made by Simon himself or especially made for him - you don't get much more custom than that!

[attachment=45607:CIMG6572.JPG]I own this white GUS G3 bass and have played the one on the cover of this months Bass Guitar Magazine (the cream one). I also own 3 GUS guitars. Having played pretty much everything from bog standard to custom shop guitars and basses I wouldn't play anything but a GUS again. They are extremely comfortable, sound wonderful, look great (OK its a Marmite thing but everyone who see's one in the flesh loves them). They also don't cost more than Custom shop copies of 50 year old designs.

Thanks for the info, of course I am interested, I shall be in touch with Simon Farmer, see if he can make one fully chromed.

It was in fact the last issue ot Bass Guitar Magazine that got me well and truly interested, I had previously seen a few pics and scarse mentions about these basses elsewhere, but after reading that article on Gus guitars in BGM, I have found them most interesting and I really dig the look, I mean if I can like the shape of a Bongo then I should love this one :)

I was interested to learn soundwise, what do they sound like? Precison, Jazz, Ricky's other? or are they completely individual and in a class of their own?

I don't think fully chromed will be a problem. Simon does the majority of finishes himself in house, but the very complex ones go to Sims who I know offer the chrome finish. It will just be a question of matching the chromed metal to the chromed carbon fibre.

As for sounds I couldn't really say as I've never got on enough with any of the traditional basses to get as far as actually plugging them in (I did own a Squier VMJ fretless for a while but never really liked either the playability or the sound). What I would say is that they are big and loud. The black one is passive, but it has a higher output than most active basses I've come across. I use that one in my 70s Classic Rock covers band where it certainly pins down the bottom end without any problem. It depends what sorts of sounds you're after but personally I wouldn't bother with the active unless you like a lot of top end and your amp needs some help from the bass to achieve that. One of the issues I had with the Squier was that even with a J-Retro fitted it sounded thin and weedy next to the passive Gus.

• 11 months later...

I think they look uuuuuugly!! And not in a good way (I usually go for ugly unusual stuff eg. Kubicki etc) but I don't doubt for a second that they're sh*t-hot on playability/build and tone. I think an entirely chrome one would definately look better, although i do kinda like Big RedX's...Big Red one...

• 3 years later...