but i've never owned one so looking for advice on
which would be the most versatile and good value
i really want to get down to just one bass cos' my dad
is starting to get annoyed at the amount of gear in the spare
room, thought i would be a little less self centred and get to a reasonable
amount of gear i've got a handle on the other stuff but i think my basses
will be the hardest to cut down

thanks in advance

Slimming down to one bass, I'd think about something a bit more varied than a Stingray. I mean, I love mine, but today with my soul band, i was thinking sh*t i wish i'd brought my p bass!

Are you not intersted in something with more pickups, eq, coil tapping etc, with more tones availiable? could be handy. just a thought.

Or if youre set on a stingray, Id say 3EQ, maybe a HS or HH setup. Bit more vairiance with tone. They are great instruments.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='782057' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:27 PM']Slimming down to one bass, I'd think about something a bit more varied than a Stingray. I mean, I love mine, but today with my soul band, i was thinking sh*t i wish i'd brought my p bass!

Are you not intersted in something with more pickups, eq, coil tapping etc, with more tones availiable? could be handy. just a thought.

Or if youre set on a stingray, Id say 3EQ, maybe a HS or HH setup. Bit more vairiance with tone. They are great instruments.[/quote]

i think a ray would cover most of the sound im after, i've had a few basses jazz,streamer and my esp that im gettin back
has a pj pickup setup. but i always end up wanting a ray style bass the shape suits me, think thats why i've ended up
with the atk and my sandberg basic they do a great tribute act but until i get a mm i'm gonna be gassing for one.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='782088' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:42 PM']warwick corvette $$, can't go wrong[/quote]

think i'll try a $$ last time i was looking for a bass in a shop, an old guy
who was checking out amps said to me if i could afford the ray i was
playing at the time, i'd be better buying a warwick and i did get one a bit later
a passive streamer but it was a cheap one, it was nice but are the high end ones
really worth the price tag?

[quote name='Clarky72' post='782084' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:41 PM']I've got a 3EQ Ray and its awesome, cant say enough good things about it, the only issue is the common ray issue with low volume on the G string. Thats easily fixed with a [b]Wernstrom[/b] replacement pup though.[/quote]
Fixed again.
[attachment=45358:05.mp3]

[quote name='Duarte' post='782151' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:46 PM']Or a Bongo?

(how many threads have I answered with these exact words?)[/quote]

sure they sound good but ain't a looker thats for sure

think i tried to get a bongo you had for sale if i remember right?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='782129' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:31 PM']definitely, or at least the $$ is, plays superbly, sounds amazing and very versatile, especially worth it if you buy used, they can easily be had for £150 less than your average used 'ray[/quote]

i had a little look at your topics and you've had a hh ray which if im honest looks
fecking awesome but you have the $$ now, what brought the change? think since you have
had both you could give me the pros and cons on the basses if you don't mind

thanks ian

I've had two $$'s, one stingray HH and one musicman SUB single H, quite simply, i prefer the sound of the warwick, there's not really another way of saying it, either you like it or you don't. It's like a stingray but more aggress, but more versatile if you want it to be. It has more midrange too, i thought. Plus, i preferred the neck profile and the smaller body, more comfortable to me. Two very different basses though, i would advocate trying them both before coming to any conclusion.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='782216' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:40 PM']I've had two $$'s, one stingray HH and one musicman SUB single H, quite simply, i prefer the sound of the warwick, there's not really another way of saying it, either you like it or you don't. It's like a stingray but more aggress, but more versatile if you want it to be. It has more midrange too, i thought. Plus, i preferred the neck profile and the smaller body, more comfortable to me. Two very different basses though, i would advocate trying them both before coming to any conclusion.[/quote]

going by what you've said i think i'll have a look a $$, as i said i had a streamer before
and the pickups were the only let down, a side by side test is the answer just finding the
two basses in the same shop will be the problem. if the ray is more one dimesional and i've only
one bass the warwick looks better in that respect

In my opinion you already own a better bass in your ATK than the standard 'ray/sterling (speaking from personal experience - I'll probably put noses out of joint with that one, but YMMV). If trimming down to 1 bass it has to be flexible so if you're set on MM then go with an HH of some description. If you decide you can get on with the visuals I'll +1 Duarte and say you could do a lot worse than the Bongo HH. It's a fantastic instrument and can do Stingray all day long if you want, but has so much more available. Never tried any $$ so can't really comment, but I do know I gave up on Warwick production after '98. Haven't played a really good one newer than that, but again YMMV.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='782163' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:02 PM']Fixed again.
[attachment=45358:05.mp3][/quote]

Nope, I definitely meant Nordstrand...

[url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/index.shtml"]Nordstrand Pickups[/url]

:)

$$s are undeniably brilliant, but you won't get a proper Stingray tone from them, I've tried and its just not the same. Can't be beaten for versatility though! I personally find the HH rays/Bongos etc to be a little pointless as I (personally) dislike where they've got the neck humbucker, its a tad too far forward for my liking and gets in the way of slap/pop which is one of the Stingray's best features. In my opinion, any pickup config other than a single bridge humbucker on either the Ray or Sterling doesn't quite work.

If you want a more versatile Ray then the Sterling is certainly worth a look as it has coil tapping which helps to make it a little more versatile and I personally preferred the body. Couldn't get on with the neck though, but if you like Jazz necks then you should be fine. Saying that, tried a Bongo recently and if you like/ can get past the looks (I personally love them :) ) then I honestly don't think there's a more versatile Musicman out there. The 4EQ is seriously fantastic.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='782216' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:40 PM']I've had two $$'s, one stingray HH and one musicman SUB single H, quite simply, i prefer the sound of the warwick, there's not really another way of saying it, either you like it or you don't. It's like a stingray but more aggress, but more versatile if you want it to be. It has more midrange too, i thought. Plus, i preferred the neck profile and the smaller body, more comfortable to me. Two very different basses though, i would advocate trying them both before coming to any conclusion.[/quote]

I know what you mean about the sound, my $$ never managed to get the Ray tone but it never needed to, every sound it put out was just fantastic in a rock context and it could hold its own with other styles too. I'd say its much more mid-rangey (not a word) but less top end, didn't really have the zing of the Ray, and in my experience that's not a bad thing. Sometimes I spend age trying to EQ the zing away :) All changed when I got the pre-EB Ray though, much stronger towards the lower end than the more recent Rays, and the neck cannot be beaten. Its a genuinely brilliant bass, feels like you can't pklay a note wrong

People talk a lot about "versatility" like some sort of holy grail but I've never cared that much. As long as you get a good basic sound then I'm not sure it matters too much. The MM basses (along with the Precision, the Jazz and so on) fall straight into that niche of "it sounds like a bass". You can get up, plug it in and play and know it's going to sound good and you're not going to look like an idiot. Job done. If you're (like me) playing in pubs and clubs where a sound check is often impossible and eq problems have to be sorted as you go then a good no-nonsense basic sound is a huge benefit. The StingRay will give you that in spades.

On top of that they are built like tanks and, IMO, are reasonably pleasant to play. This, of course, is getting down to personal choice. For example, I really like the Warwick $$ but I've never really got on with the necks and it just doesn't look the part in a pub on a Saturday night.

Conclusion... you're never going to go wrong buying a bog-standard StingRay. Anything over and above that is just polish. All depending, of course, if you actually like the things in the first place.

As of this weekend I now have two (a 4 string and a 5 string) so I'm clearly biased :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='782381' date='Mar 22 2010, 09:25 AM']I (personally) dislike where they've got the neck humbucker, its a tad too far forward for my liking and gets in the way of slap/pop which is one of the Stingray's best features.[/quote]

You get used to slapping on the HH VERY quickly. There's plenty of room there.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='782387' date='Mar 22 2010, 09:34 AM']I really like the Warwick $$ but it just doesn't look the part in a pub on a Saturday night.[/quote]

Lies! :)

Apart from than disagreement, you've got a very good point- I've had a similar revalation which I hope to make a thread about soon

[quote name='josh3184' post='782392' date='Mar 22 2010, 09:42 AM']Lies! :)

Apart from than disagreement, you've got a very good point- I've had a similar revalation which I hope to make a thread about soon[/quote]

I was confidently expecting a response along those lines...... Doesn't work for me though, 6 foot something fat bloke with a small-bodied "sideboard" bass just looks wrong.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='782391' date='Mar 22 2010, 09:37 AM']You get used to slapping on the HH VERY quickly. There's plenty of room there.[/quote]

Probably the start of another thread/argument. But... why-oh-why... when discussing a bass, the first thing anybody says is always "it's no good for slapping" or "it's great for slapping". Unless I've been living under a rock for the last 30 years, slap bass is so spectacularly niche that for 99.99% of player it doesn't matter a stuff if a bass is good for slap or not. Still, each to their own :)

More flames.... here they come :rolleyes: