Why become a member? ×

bass sound is very clicky???

woolz

[quote name='woolz' post='782136' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:33 PM']de tuned to c# on the bottom string yes. also i dont know how softly you guys are playing but to stop any clicking i need to play verry very softly.[/quote]

I thought so.
To me,then,it sounds like,because you have less tension on the string as you are playing it ,
it is getting a kind of 'slapping' sound by hitting the the upper frets.
I can be quite aggressive with my right hand and can easily get that clicky sound if I want
to,but generally I don't play that hard.
Are you 'hitting' the strings with your right hand(that's usually the problem) or do you play
'through' the string?

[quote name='woolz' post='781873' date='Mar 21 2010, 06:11 PM']im wondering wether it is my eq? i also have an active bass and i always plug it into the passive input.[/quote]

why do you do that??!

but back on topic... yeah if you're tuned down like that the string is going to be flapping about a lot more, couple that with right hand technique like people have already mentioned and you'll get the rattling. active bass probably makes it more noticeable too

peace

c

[quote name='woolz' post='782159' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:53 PM']well i do try to play through them but maybe im not doing a good job of it. i dont know how people using detuning can play without this click.[/quote]
C# on a normal and normally set up bass is bound to produce summat weird.

As I said, for a lot of respected players, especially rock and metal (Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse is a perfect example) it's part of their 'sound' and often, a band's sound production is optimised to take advantage of this style - the bass will have loads of attack and they'll double the kick drum patterns. I do this all the time.

[quote name='3V17C' post='782183' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:16 PM']why do you do that??![/quote]

I plus my active bass into the passive input, or rather, leave the 'active' switch disabled. Unless your bass has active pickups and an 18v preamp that needs taming a little at the input stage, I saw little point in robbing myself of input gain.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='781839' date='Mar 21 2010, 05:43 PM']Do you have a Trace Elliot by chance?[/quote]

Ive a Trace and it gets clicky when I use a pick.. it completely harmless and doesnt affect the overall sound.
Actually adds some attack if its rocky stuff.
Lower the mids a bit if its annoying you.

I'd agree with Doddy that you're probably hitting the upper frets with the string as you strike it, so a revision of your right hand technique is required if you wish to eliminate it.
Bottom line is: whacking the bass does not necessarily equal more energy in the music. In fact having a dynamic range that extends below 'really hard' will widen your palette. That may not suit your style of music so it's your choice.

[quote name='woolz' post='782136' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:33 PM']de tuned to c# on the bottom string yes. :) also i dont know how softly you guys are playing but to stop any clicking i need to play verry very softly.[/quote]

You're not going to solve it unless you change string gauge and put in a new nut. Get a 5 string if you need to be that low!

im not too hot on the neck relief adjustment to be honest :) i use 105 gauge on the 4th string as it is. anyone live in essex on here that could have a look at it for me? or know anyone thats good at settting basses up?

i plug into the passive input because it sounds a lot better i think!

Edited by woolz

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v727/woolz/?action=view&current=VID00010-20100322-1750.flv"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v727/woo...100322-1750.flv[/url]

this is me on a tanglewood tuned to normal E tuning.

come on slate my playing :)

as you can hear i stil get the clicking.

Edited by woolz

[quote name='Musicman69' post='782716' date='Mar 22 2010, 08:44 PM']Half a mill should be ok, just raise the action a bit at the bridge.[/quote]
You can't say that really, there are so many other factors to consider. Fretboard radius for one. 1mm is very little relief.

[quote name='Musicman69' post='782327' date='Mar 22 2010, 01:53 AM']Ive a Trace and it gets clicky when I use a pick.. it completely harmless and doesnt affect the overall sound.
Actually adds some attack if its rocky stuff.
Lower the mids a bit if its annoying you.[/quote]

I sold it about 18 months ago.

[quote name='silddx' post='782732' date='Mar 22 2010, 08:55 PM']You can't say that really, there are so many other factors to consider. Fretboard radius for one. 1mm is very little relief.[/quote]

True but if it doesnt work he can put it back as it was.. no harm to try it.
As has been said already best bet is to get it set-up professionally.

[quote name='woolz' post='782595' date='Mar 22 2010, 05:36 PM']im not too hot on the neck relief adjustment to be honest :) i use 105 gauge on the 4th string as it is. anyone live in essex on here that could have a look at it for me? or know anyone thats good at settting basses up?

i plug into the passive input because it sounds a lot better i think![/quote]

Hold down the string at the first fret AND at the last fret (use a capo or phone a friend if you have small hands). Is it touching the 12th fret (or thereabouts)? It should be *just* clear at the 12th (you can tap it against the fret but can't see much daylight). If it's touching then you need to *slacken* the truss rod. Take it easy, quarter turn a go. Retune each time.

Having said that, you should probably just get a 5 string :rolleyes:

I'm sticking with my original diagnosis.......

You seem to be 'hitting' the strings(especially the lowest string) rather than 'plucking'
them which is resulting in the string hitting the upper frets,giving almost a 'slapping'
effect,which will be even more noticable when detuned as there is less tension on the
strings.
I'd spend a bit more time concentrating on your right hand technique. You don't
need to pluck the strings very hard at all-let the amp do some of the work.
Try this before you reach for the allen keys.