Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what this is?

waldemar

[quote name='waldemar' post='781248' date='Mar 20 2010, 11:20 PM']Here it is being played by Mont (Dirk?) Campbell of prog-rock band Egg.

It looks pretty nasty, but somehow I want one.[/quote]

I can't help you, but I will agree, it's god damn nasty. That body shape mixed with that neck literally makes me want to puke. I would love to have one though... :)

[quote name='deathpanda' post='781307' date='Mar 21 2010, 12:58 AM']I can't help you, but I will agree, it's god damn nasty. That body shape mixed with that neck literally makes me want to puke. I would love to have one though... :)[/quote]

You know it, man.

I do love an ugly bass. Check out this monster:

(http://cheesyguitars.com/yoshkar_bass.html)

Edited by waldemar

[quote name='BigRedX' post='781394' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:29 AM']It's a Fenton Weill - one of the pioneers of British guitars.[/quote]

+1

As I scrolled down the page I thought I was going to be the first person to say that. Should have known you'd get in there first. :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='781474' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:42 AM']I spotted that on TV the other night too. Look how skinny that neck is! The body shape reminds me of the Music Man Big Al, but uglier:

[/quote]
NO! The Big Al is utterly gorgeous! So is the Chris Squire Elektra.

The Fenton in the OP, however, is as horrid to the eyes as Katie Price with no make up.

I thought I'd drop the man himself an email via his site and, quite remarkably, he got back to me earlier today:

[quote]I think it's a Fenton Weill - don't know the model. Interesting pic - where did you get it, and are there any more?[/quote]

Nice one Bigredx and Musky!

w./

[quote name='BigRedX' post='781603' date='Mar 21 2010, 12:53 PM']According to [url="http://sebastian.virtuozzo.co.nz/gitbox/wiki/index.php/FentonWeill"]this site[/url] it's a Fenton-Weill RP1/B bass (scroll down the page to the second to last photo) It has the same 2+2 headstock.[/quote]

Indeed it is! That's one I've never seen before.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='781394' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:29 AM']It's a Fenton Weill - one of the pioneers of British guitars.[/quote]

Close! I'm pretty sure it's actually a 'Burns-Weill'

The body shape changed to a double cutaway when the B/W team dissolved, though it's possible some snuck out with just a 'Weill' nameplate on there.

Anyway- I just bought one, and it's just as nasty as it looks. Super skinny offset 'V' neck shape, frets in the wrong place above the 12th fret, and it's 29.5 scale length...which is insane given the fact it's the biggest and heaviest bass I've ever played! Oh- and a Co-Axial output socket...totally flat profiled fretwire with a really skinny tang, meaning the neck doesn't have any kind of stability added by a nice fat bit of fretwire...

Here's a pic- it's currently undergoing 'restoration'...previous owner stripped the original paint and sprayed it with rubbery car paint. I know it's slightly sacriligeous, but I'm gonna put the frets in the right place and use some real fretwire to see if that helps it out.

Pure class! :)

Last year I bought a grotty old semi-acoustic guit*r at an antique shop for £30 purely because I liked the p/ups and thought they'd go on some project bass. After a bit of research found out it was an early '60's Broadway (The UK importer Rose-Morris's budget brand; assembled from various Brit - / Italian - / Jap-crap parts. They used Fenton Weill p/ups, and have to say they sound damn good. (In fact I didn't have the heart to break it, so replaced the junk bridge & tailpiece with a Bigsby, stripped off the punk-rock graffiti and gave it a nitro refin. The entire pickguard / pickups / electrics assembly floats above the body - there are no routes into the hollow body at all, which means there's only clearance for a tiny "earphone" type jack socket. Also no truss rod, but the neck is dead straight.)