Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Combo 450

ajerthebadger

Hello,

I have recently become the owner of a TC Electronic Combo 450.

I must first point out that it took well over a month for the amp to be delivered to me - problems with the shop moving their warehouse and TC sending the head and RS210C separately - so I was eagerly anticipating its arrival.

Once it arrived it was a lot lighter than I had originally thought and the trolley wheels - although feeling a little flimsy - do work very well.

This being my first +£1000 purchase of gear I'm not the most experienced with hi spec amplification but I will try and give a more 'day-to-day life with the amp' review.

Sound wise, I cannot fault this amp, you have a very wide EQ palet with which to work and the ability to change the centre frequencies of all four EQ controls is very useful if you are picky or like to experiment.

Volume wise, I struggled slightly whilst to hear myself over my drummer (not too loud) and guitarist (a little loud), thankfully singer/rhythm guitarist was not there (very f***ing loud) and I had the settings flat with a bit of spectra comp, gain a quarter way round and volume on 8. I was also getting a bit of speaker overload (slightly fuzzy sound when plucking the note) at this volume. I fear that to get a decent amount of volume out of this requires an extra cab, but I am waiting for the editor of Bass Guitar Magazine to get back to me on this - it may be my lack of knowledge which is the problem.

Weight as I mentioned earlier was lighter than expected and the dimensions of the amp make it an easy one for any car boot (if push came to shove I'm sure you could happily rest it on your lap if sat in the back)

Portability as mentioned it is well dimensioned amp and I doubt would have much trouble fitting on smaller stages, through narrow door ways, up narrow staircases etc etc.

The detachable trolley wheels provide an excellent alternative to carrying the amp, although be wary, this amp was not designed for long walks along pavements/car parks - allow me to explain:

My band rehearse at the music/rehearsal facilities on the University of West England Frenchay campus as we are all students there living in the accommodation on campus. It is about a 15min walk from the accommodation to the CPA (rehearsal room facility) on which we have to walk along slabbed pavements and tarmac roads, climbing so very small cirbs along the way.

On my first outing with the amp on this twice weekly migration, I arrived at the CPA to find the wheels had worn into the back of the cab, right down to the wood on both sides. (See Pics) The rubber feet that can be seen in the pictures are not solid enough to stop the wheels from being pushed to rub up against the cab. There were also a few instances where the amp started to wobble from the side to side like it was about to topple most likely due to the wheels being situated behind the cab as opposed to either side - which would create better stability.

[attachment=44783:Wear_fro...eft_Side.jpg][attachment=44782:Wear_fro...ght_Side.jpg]

Something else which potential buyers should be wary of is the fact that when placing the amp down after using the trolley wheels, you run the risk of damaging the front bottom edge of the cab. I have managed, if a little 'bodge job' esque, to fix this problem by using the right angled cardboard pieces from the box the amp came in. (See Pics) It has been wrapped in duck and electrical tape and fixed using velcro tape - works a treat.

[attachment=44779:Bottom_Edge_of_Cab.jpg]

[attachment=44780:Right_An...h_Velcro.jpg]

[attachment=44781:Edge_Fixed_to_Cab.jpg]

So, anyone looking at getting one best wait til I have spoken to TC to try and resolve these problems.

Check back for updates.

AJ

Thanks for the indepth review. I must admit, you do have to be careful with the cabinets...which it seems you have been but it has still suffered injuries.

If im honest, despite the fact I dont like carpet covered cabinets, it is the best way to cover a cabinet if you want them to stay looking clean and new.

I have made 'feet' for all of my cabinets in my signature, and the TC ones need them in particular. They are not exactly 'feet', just strips of carpet cut out to the right size that stops them marking the floor or the cabinet when I put them down. I also bought covers for all my cabs just to prevent small knocks causing scuffs etc.

If you added another cabinet, eg an RS210, you would achieve a much louder/fuller setup. I am going to try the RS210 on its own soon, but I suspect it wont cut it like I dont expect it to on its own. You never know though.

What do you have your 'preset' volume on? You can change this for each preset to make sure all basses seem the same volume despite their output.

What type of band are you playing in? I dont think any 210 will compete with a really loud rock band unless you use it for just monitoring for yourself.

I hope TC resolve your issues. I myself am not a fan of those trolley type setups, but they do work out for some players. I bought the normal cabs then bought a standard fold-up trolley off Amazon.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote]I hope TC resolve your issues. I myself am not a fan of those trolley type setups, but they do work out for some players. I bought the normal cabs then bought a standard fold-up trolley off Amazon.[/quote]

Slightly OT, but which folding trolley did you buy off amazon. I'd like to get one to carry my cab, but some of them look really flimsy. How much did you pay?

[quote name='jim_bass' post='774357' date='Mar 14 2010, 03:21 PM']Slightly OT, but which folding trolley did you buy off amazon. I'd like to get one to carry my cab, but some of them look really flimsy. How much did you pay?[/quote]

Hi

Its a 'Silverline' blue trolley...it was roughly £25 or less delivered! It can handle a fair whack of weight. I had an Orange 4x10 on it and it did not struggle at all. Its only really good on decent even surfaces though....cobbles are a no-no.

Saved my back a lot during moving plus it folds up well with no hassle. Its not one with a small lip (I stayed clear of those) its actually more like a truck in that respect.

Here we go!

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-675213-100-Platform-Truck/dp/B000NBYK0C/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1268581021&sr=8-21"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-675213-...021&sr=8-21[/url]

[quote name='jim_bass' post='774357' date='Mar 14 2010, 03:21 PM']Slightly OT, but which folding trolley did you buy off amazon. I'd like to get one to carry my cab, but some of them look really flimsy. How much did you pay?[/quote]
I bought a foldable trolley from Homebase which is quite rugged. Only cost £25 and will carry quite a weight on it. It's similar to [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/50kg-Folding-Aluminium-Hand-Truck/dp/B000YESV58/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1268581083&sr=8-11"]this[/url] on Amazon.

I have a TC450 amp and 2 x TC 210 cabs, and was slightly disappointed with the sound, until I bought one of the single 12" matching cabs. Wow! Its night and day. Now I just use a single 210 cab and the 12" together, and the sound has filled out beautifully. Have a try with your combo and a 112 cab, you will be amazed.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for all your posts.

I am going to look into getting something else to transport my gear so those trolley posts were a real help.

I was going to see if TC would send me a 112 instead of replacing the cab - after all I think this could be classed as fault on their part - but I doubt it will happen.

I am really keen to see the new Hartke HyDrive 112 but dont know when it will be available.

I don't really change the 'preset volume' I dont think. I kept the gain the same and the master volume the same and changed a few EQ settings, but like I said, started to get a bit distorted in the speaker. I play in an Alt Rock band - obviously a very wide spectrum so heres the myspace - www.myspace.com/mandlsound - and we also have a few heavier numbers and heavier outros which will require a bit of extra 'umph' in the low end to keep up with guitarist's - both on fender valve amps who like them loud.

I think extra cab is the way forward.

[quote name='ajerthebadger' post='775215' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:42 PM']Thanks for all your posts.

I am going to look into getting something else to transport my gear so those trolley posts were a real help.

I was going to see if TC would send me a 112 instead of replacing the cab - after all I think this could be classed as fault on their part - but I doubt it will happen.

I am really keen to see the new Hartke HyDrive 112 but dont know when it will be available.

I don't really change the 'preset volume' I dont think. I kept the gain the same and the master volume the same and changed a few EQ settings, but like I said, started to get a bit distorted in the speaker. I play in an Alt Rock band - obviously a very wide spectrum so heres the myspace - www.myspace.com/mandlsound - and we also have a few heavier numbers and heavier outros which will require a bit of extra 'umph' in the low end to keep up with guitarist's - both on fender valve amps who like them loud.

I think extra cab is the way forward.[/quote]

+1, you need another cab I think. Most 2x10s will be pushing it in a heavier rock band.

I would ask the supplier/store to replace the cabinet as its not your fault that has occured.

An RS212 on its own would probably be about right if you wanted a one cab solution.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='ajerthebadger' post='775215' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:42 PM']I am really keen to see the new Hartke HyDrive 112 but dont know when it will be available.[/quote]

Slightly OT, but it should be available mid-June according to the distributor.

Danny

Ive recently brought the RH450 and a TC 212

The sound is fantastic, but if you are standing close with it at your feet you dont really hear it among a full band

I am putting some in the pa foldback at present, but will soon add a 210 to put on top

With regard to the feet, I will need to sort something out as stacking will ruin the finish

Also I lift it out the boot in one hand, whilst I lock the motor before returning it to both hands to avoid putting it on the floor, clearly I need to get some feet as this is a pain

I am however happy with my purchase, and at least the TCs can be filled and paint touched up, you cant mend a carpet or vinyl finish

Slightly of topic I know, but TC at least

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

An update on my time with the Combo 450.

I've done 2 gigs with it and another rehearsal. Surprisingly enough it actually coped quite well at the Thekla and Mr Wolfs in Bristol.

Good volume from the amp itself and I'm told the tone was good out front. Obviously standing next to a guitarist with a Fender Pro Sonic 2x12 it was difficult to hear the amp fully at the Thekla but Mr Wolfs provided no problems whatsoever. And again at the rehearsal - we were set up how we would be on stage and everything was sounding great.

Id still recommend that an extra cab would give better volume and a 'bigger' sound but if you are doing small clubs/venues then this is an absolute gem of an amp.

TC are also working on the problem with the trolley wheels - more on this as it develops.

Cheers

AJ :)

[quote name='bobpalt' post='775111' date='Mar 15 2010, 12:12 PM']I have a TC450 amp and 2 x TC 210 cabs, and was slightly disappointed with the sound, until I bought one of the single 12" matching cabs. Wow! Its night and day. Now I just use a single 210 cab and the 12" together, and the sound has filled out beautifully. Have a try with your combo and a 112 cab, you will be amazed.

Cheers,

Bob[/quote]

Good stuff.

I've ordered a RS210 and a RS112 to go with the Bass Terror I've just bought. Sounds like they'll fit the bill.