Why become a member? ×

Allergic to Ernies???

Mog

'sup kids? I've recently been using Ernie Ball strings because I cant get pro steels at the local. Strange thing is, after every session I have major blisters on my right hand. I've gone through 3 sets in the last month and all had the same effect. This never happened with other brands of stainless steel strings. Any of you have a similar reaction when changing from brand to brand? Its a shame because I'd forgotten how good Slinkys sound, almost as bright as Prosteels with an extra gig or two in 'em.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='773996' date='Mar 13 2010, 11:38 PM']Sounds like you are allergic to nickel. One of the Bristol bass players had it. Go back to stainless strings. Might also have trouble with nickel fret wire.[/quote]
I think Slinkys are stainless?
Edit: Sorry, should have added its the stainless slinkys.Not the standard sets.

Edited by Mog

I have allergys to certain metals and stainless steel strings bring me out in rashes, so i have to use nickel, i recently got some DR marcus millers and the rashes returned and stainless steel just doesnt sound right anymore, cant get on with the tone!!!

Not all stainless sets are created equal and some have a suprising amount of nickel in them. Nickel allergy is the most likely cause, I have it and EB strings set me off. Try DRs, D'Addarios, Rotosounds, Elites or my personal
favourite, Elixers.

It's trial and error with strings I find. I can use elixer bass and acoustic strings with no problems, but the electric guitar strings, despite being marked stainless steel, have a nickel coating which sets my hands off quite badly.