Why become a member? ×

Which Combo?

gjones

I'm planning on buying a new combo next weekend. My budget is £700 max and I've narrowed it down to 3 contenders.

1 - Harke Hydrive 115c

2 - Ashdown ABM c115 EVO III

3 - TV Fifteen Fender Bassman

The Harke is about £150 cheaper than the other two which is large part of the reason it is in the running.

The Ashdown is on my list because I've used them before and I like the basic sound.

The Fender is on the list because I love the vintage look of it and listening to the Ed Freidland video review of it on Youtube the tone is close to the one that I'm looking for.

What I want is a good clear punchy sound with a thumping bottom end but no wooliness at high volume. I don't really care if it has valves or not as an overdriven sound is not high on my list of priorities and I don't want something too heavy (so 4x10s combos are out - have you ever tried lifting one of those things?).

Before I make my final decision I thought the smart thing to do to would be to ask my fellow Basschatters what their opinions were about my 3 contenders. I'm hoping that some of you own or have owned one of these amps in the past and I would be grateful for any advice that would help me make the final decision.

Or possibly you can suggest another amp that, in your opinion, is better than the ones on my shortlist that you think I should consider.........I'm all ears.

Edited by gjones

I don't know your combos but I'd put a Markbass 102 combo on you list
It is a great sound out of the cab. and you can add an ext cab
to get close to 500watts from the amp.
You would need to look at 2nd hand but your budget should do that easily..
Also look at Eden 2x10 combos for more of the same.

Or....look for a 2 hand LMll amp which are about for around £375 and get yourself seperates...
Maybe a more flexible way of doing things but keeping the set up lightweight and compact.

[quote name='JTUK' post='773860' date='Mar 13 2010, 08:29 PM']I don't know your combos but I'd put a Markbass 102 combo on you list
It is a great sound out of the cab. and you can add an ext cab
to get close to 500watts from the amp.
You would need to look at 2nd hand but your budget should do that easily..
Also look at Eden 2x10 combos for more of the same.

Or....look for a 2 hand LMll amp which are about for around £375 and get yourself seperates...
Maybe a more flexible way of doing things but keeping the set up lightweight and compact.[/quote]

+1

Look at the Markbass 2x10. 1x15 or 1x12 combos. Very popular and a great sound in such a small package.

I don't know the others but have had several Ashdowns. If I was getting an ABM combo, it would probably be the 210 version. Personal taste I know, but having tried em side by side I think the 210 wins it. The valve drive is good in moderation, as it adds another layer without getting blurry (at lower settings).

[quote name='gjones' post='778169' date='Mar 18 2010, 12:58 AM']Fender TV fifteen bassman bought and paid for. It's on it's way.[/quote]

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it, after you've played it a bit, perhaps at volume too. I'm possibly looking for a naturally deep/warm/round vintage sounding 15" combo and arrived at either a TV 15 Bassman or an Ampeg Blue Diamond B100/200R.

[quote name='Tee' post='778289' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:22 AM']I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it, after you've played it a bit, perhaps at volume too. I'm possibly looking for a naturally deep/warm/round vintage sounding 15" combo and arrived at either a TV 15 Bassman or an Ampeg Blue Diamond B100/200R.[/quote]

I haven't received it yet but I'm playing a gig on the 26th where I can give it a bit of welly so I'll report back then. I was also considering the ampeg b200r but I heard some scare stories on harmony central (a very good review site) about the build quality being pretty poor and fuses popping when you disconnect the horn in the speaker cabinet - although everyone says the sound is excellent.