Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray 5

Steve A

Hi all,

I picked this beauty up yesterday. It's a used, 1994 Stingray 5. I've put up two pics, one as it is today with the included white scratchplate (sitting next to my Lakland US Joe Osborn) and one that was on the Bass Direct website with the also included clear scratchplate. I love the clear plate's look but don't like being able to see all the controls...

Any thoughts as to how I could make it work with the clear plate?

Steve

Edited by Steve Amadeo

Like this you mean Steve? -

If you really like the clear scratchplate, maybe put a chrome control plate on over the top to hide the innards if the pot shafts are long enough? - [url="http://www.bassguitarpartsdirect.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=176"]http://www.bassguitarpartsdirect.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=176[/url]

Thanks Colin,

I forgot to do that didn't I?!!

I think I'd rather try and find a way to cover up the cavity by trying to get a similar colour under the plate. I was wondering if it would be possible to paint the underneath of the plate a similar colour to the body, just in the area of the control cavity... I have a spare clear plate to test it on.

Bugger... one of the heaviest basses I've ever owned! Didn't really notice it tooo much til I put it int he gig bag and carried it... WOW! Feels like it weighs twice as much as the Lakland JO.

Still, it'll do 'til I get a nice light Sadowsky...

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='772289' date='Mar 11 2010, 11:36 PM']Bugger... one of the heaviest basses I've ever owned! Didn't really notice it tooo much til I put it int he gig bag and carried it... WOW! Feels like it weighs twice as much as the Lakland JO.

Still, it'll do 'til I get a nice light Sadowsky...[/quote]

I think I'd maybe go for a tort or a black scratchguard on that one Steve.

Tort!

Tort Tort Tort!

Did I mention Tort?

Beautiful bass. The clear guard does look awesome but the control cavity doesn't look too pleasing i must admit. I think Tort would be best! (If you hadn't already guessed :))

• 4 weeks later...