Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves cables

thebassman

I have been a real big fan of planet waves cables for quite a while.

Something strange has happened though, i have been using a standard cable, circuit breaker cable and patch lead, all planet waves, for about 3-4 years.
I have played these through my Bassman 135 and Mesa 400+ and all seemed well.
I recently bought a Mesa M6 carbine combo and was starting to get really worried with horrible sound spikes and intermittent back groung noise, this was driving me mad.
Anyway, with the process of elimination i have had to swap out all of the planet waves cables, one at a time for my trusty old Whirlwind cables and a home made patch cable and all is working great.

I don't quite understand how this is even possible, but i will not be using PW again.

anyone else had any problems.

cheers

thebassman

Not had good Planet Waves experience here either. I never asked them to replace leads on the lifetime guarantee, because it was always in my mind mid-gig: was that me or is the lead dodgy?

Never really looked back from hearing about OBBM on this forum

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='768029' date='Mar 8 2010, 02:36 PM']funny this comes up

there is another thread about pete cornish cables around here at the mo. The op used cornish's cables to replace a set of planet waves and found a marked improvement.

wonder if there's a connection ? :)

T[/quote]

I did see the other guys thread about Pete Cornish cables, is there a link or price list for these cables.

[quote name='guyl' post='767970' date='Mar 8 2010, 01:55 PM']Not had good Planet Waves experience here either. I never asked them to replace leads on the lifetime guarantee, because it was always in my mind mid-gig: was that me or is the lead dodgy?

Never really looked back from hearing about OBBM on this forum[/quote]

Sorry dude, i am newish to these forums, what is "OBBM"?

obbm is a member here who makes and distributes excellent quality leads for great prices. No marketing BS or fancy descriptions, just top quality leads. Here's his site:
[url="http://www.bassic.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic.co.uk/[/url]

I replaced my failing Planet Waves leads with a couple of obbm leads and they are much better, cost about the same too.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='768211' date='Mar 8 2010, 04:57 PM']obbm is a member here who makes and distributes excellent quality leads for great prices. No marketing BS or fancy descriptions, just top quality leads. Here's his site:
[url="http://www.bassic.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic.co.uk/[/url]

I replaced my failing Planet Waves leads with a couple of obbm leads and they are much better, cost about the same too.[/quote]

I see they do the muting connectors. Does anyone know if they work with stingray 5 basses. The neutrik site says they do not work with some active bass guitars.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='768360' date='Mar 8 2010, 07:10 PM']TBH I don't trust those muting plugs. I wouldn't provide opportunities for silencing your bass to a tiny little spring thingy if I were you. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I just invested in a nice new tu3 pedal which does my muting. I am just a gadget freak, so was taken in by the hype. :)

[quote name='thebassman' post='768299' date='Mar 8 2010, 06:20 PM']I see they do the muting connectors. Does anyone know if they work with stingray 5 basses. The neutrik site says they do not work with some active bass guitars.[/quote]

Works fine with my SR5. Just a slight click as the pre-amp is energised. I suppose with a big rig that might be a loud click. Never had the chance to try it though.

Dave they just make a bit pf a pop in my experience...... :) (well they do through my Mesa!) Oh and incoming PM, I need some more bits...

As for PW cables......

sorry but they are cack......!

For what they cost buy proper kit from Dave above (OBBM) for a wee bit more and feel the difference between over priced shoite components and proper components put together properly.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='768454' date='Mar 8 2010, 08:22 PM']Dave they just make a bit pf a pop in my experience...... :) (well they do through my Mesa!) Oh and incoming PM, I need some more bits...

As for PW cables......

sorry but they are cack......!

For what they cost buy proper kit from Dave above (OBBM) for a wee bit more and feel the difference between over priced shoite components and proper components put together properly.[/quote]

another Mesa fan, pleased to meet you, what do you play through?
I have definately gone off pw cables now.
I will checking out obbm's web site and placing an order asap.
Cheers
thebassman.

Tried lots of stuff, and DESPERATELY want an M6 Carbine combo (can't justify it!), but am VERY happy with my 1-12 4ohm Walkabout Scout.

It has tone to die for :wub: and will shake beer glasses off a bar if you need it to.... :rolleyes:

I have a feeling tho' the M6 would rearrange internal organs! :)

FWIW - OBBM uses top quality components and has oodles of experience putting them together. I have won my G'tard over with the same kit (assembled by me) and previously he was shelling out on Whirlwind gear ... (very pretty but waaay over priced!).

[quote name='thebassman' post='767929' date='Mar 8 2010, 02:29 PM']I have been a real big fan of planet waves cables for quite a while.

Something strange has happened though, i have been using a standard cable, circuit breaker cable and patch lead, all planet waves, for about 3-4 years.
I have played these through my Bassman 135 and Mesa 400+ and all seemed well.
I recently bought a Mesa M6 carbine combo and was starting to get really worried with horrible sound spikes and intermittent back groung noise, this was driving me mad.
Anyway, with the process of elimination i have had to swap out all of the planet waves cables, one at a time for my trusty old Whirlwind cables and a home made patch cable and all is working great.

I don't quite understand how this is even possible, but i will not be using PW again.

anyone else had any problems.

cheers

thebassman[/quote]

It may not be the cable that is the problem, the 1/4 inch jack is not as standard as we might think. I have a problem with my yamaha 375 which will only work with certain cables. On the cables that do work, the tiny insulating collar between the tip and the sleeve is about 0.5mm further from the tip than on the cables that do not work. Putting a multimeter to the other end shows that the cables that don't work are short circuiting, presumably because the sleeve connector on the lead is touching both the tip and sleeve connectors in the bass socket. To me its only a minor irritation in remembering which leads work, but if its a major problem for you then swapping out the connector on the Mesa may solve it.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='768899' date='Mar 9 2010, 09:34 AM']Tried lots of stuff, and DESPERATELY want an M6 Carbine combo (can't justify it!), but am VERY happy with my 1-12 4ohm Walkabout Scout.

It has tone to die for :wub: and will shake beer glasses off a bar if you need it to.... :lol:

I have a feeling tho' the M6 would rearrange internal organs! :rolleyes:

FWIW - OBBM uses top quality components and has oodles of experience putting them together. I have won my G'tard over with the same kit (assembled by me) and previously he was shelling out on Whirlwind gear ... (very pretty but waaay over priced!).[/quote]

I take it you have seen from my signature, i have a M6 carbine 2x12 combo.
I have just "down graded" from a powerhouse 4x10 and 400+ for a smaller set up. :)

This amp is absolutely awesome, the best amp i have ever owned, but yes it is loud.......... don't know about shake glasses off the bar, i will turn them back into sand.

I cannot rate this amp highly enough, i have a stingray 5 and thought i had the missing G string problem. Well with this amp every single note and tone is there, far more Hi-Fi than my 400+, that set up was loud but very muddy.

I will give OBBM a go when i have sorted out what cables i need.

Edited by thebassman