Why become a member? ×

Is this the end my Trace Elliot??

Bobby K

Hello all.

I was in the middle of a gig the other night, using my Trace Elliot Series 6 1215 combo (GP12) and the sound started cutting in and out randomly. Then the sound cut out all together and the thing started rumbling and screeching! Finished the gig through a DI box :)

Anyway, got the amp back home now and when I turn it on, i basically get the rumbling noise and then the horrible screeching sound, which sounds like a crazed kazoo player! This is all without plugging in the bass at all. It is also worth noting the that the power led seems to fade and come back on again sporadically while this is going on. I only had the output pot on 4 and the input gain light was only going yellow now and again, so wasn't playing loudly.

Somebody has suggested to me that it might be a transformer issue, but I don't really know about these things, so any suggestions anyone has would be most welcome.

The amp is probably around 18 years old and I've had it for at least 15 of those years and it's never given me any problems before. It even had a service last summer.

Should I be looking at a new amp, or is this probably fixable??

Any suggestions are most welcome

[quote name='Buzz' post='767262' date='Mar 7 2010, 08:20 PM']18 years old...could be a number of things, might be the capacitors, they've got a finite lifespan, could also be a dry joint somewhere etc....

Give it to a tech if you're not electrically minded.[/quote]

+1 to the amp repairer idea.. probably not the end of the line!! :)

A quick Google suggests a couple of options in your area:

Wesley Music in Southport - there's a guy based there who services tube amps.
01704 532132

Also, Alan Stratton - 01928733866

Let us know if these come to anything, as it's always useful to find good people in this field.

[quote name='Buzz' post='767262' date='Mar 7 2010, 08:20 PM']18 years old...could be a number of things, might be the capacitors, they've got a finite lifespan, could also be a dry joint somewhere etc....

Give it to a tech if you're not electrically minded.[/quote]

Give this man a prize!

I have had the same problem with my 18 years old Trace last summer and it was a series of dead capacitors in conjunction with a crack in the circuit board where it connects to the GP12 graphic eq, a good technician can repair it and mine was fixed and now it's as good as new.

[quote name='bass5' post='767630' date='Mar 8 2010, 09:41 AM']Give this man a prize!

I have had the same problem with my 18 years old Trace last summer and it was a series of dead capacitors in conjunction with a crack in the circuit board where it connects to the GP12 graphic eq, a good technician can repair it and mine was fixed and now it's as good as new.

[/quote]

Nice one bass5, hopefully mine will be sorted out too. Thanks for chipping in.

Would much rather have your speaker configuration though! :)

Hi Bobby, good to see you on here! Amplifier problems aside, I hope all is well...

With a bit of luck, you'll be able to get this sorted out with minimal wallet damage- sorry I can't be of any assistance in diagnosing the problem! Which tech have you decided to go with by the way? Coincidentally, my friend and fellow bassist JJ Rio also had his Trace head blow up on him very recently, and needs to find a reputable repairer ASAP!

ATB,

Etienne :)

EDIT: Just in case you haven't lined up a repairer yet, you could could give Gee Electronics a try. I haven't used them for ages, but they repaired and modified a Trace V-type hybrid head for me several years ago, and did a good job. They're on the Rocket industrial estate near the Parcel force depot (just off the M62 interchange). :rolleyes:

Edited by Etienne

[quote name='Etienne' post='768349' date='Mar 8 2010, 07:05 PM']Hi Bobby, good to see you on here! Amplifier problems aside, I hope all is well...

With a bit of luck, you'll be able to get this sorted out with minimal wallet damage- sorry I can't be of any assistance in diagnosing the problem! Which tech have you decided to go with by the way? Coincidentally, my friend and fellow bassist JJ Rio also had his Trace head blow up on him very recently, and needs to find a reputable repairer ASAP!

ATB,

Etienne :)

EDIT: Just in case you haven't lined up a repairer yet, you could could give Gee Electronics a try. I haven't used them for ages, but they repaired and modified a Trace V-type hybrid head for me several years ago, and did a good job. They're on the Rocket industrial estate near the Parcel force depot (just off the M62 interchange). :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hey Etienne, great to hear from you mate!!

I assume you're talking about John Gee. Hmmmm....

I contacted him about servicing the amp a couple of years ago and he fobbed me right off; it was so obvious he didn't want to help! i've heard nothing but bad things about him (apart from your repair story of course) -

I'll sort it out soon enough. Will probably take it back to the guy who serviced it. He's in Stoke but he came very well recommended from some muso friends.

See ya soon bud... :lol:

The good thing about amps of this vintage is that just about anything IS repairable, as they use discrete components and simple ICs. Any decent tech should be able to sort out any fault, really.
I'd be more worried about modeling amps and class D power stages...

[quote name='Bobby K' post='769244' date='Mar 9 2010, 01:58 PM']Hey Etienne, great to hear from you mate!!

I assume you're talking about John Gee. Hmmmm....

I contacted him about servicing the amp a couple of years ago and he fobbed me right off; it was so obvious he didn't want to help! i've heard nothing but bad things about him (apart from your repair story of course) -

I'll sort it out soon enough. Will probably take it back to the guy who serviced it. He's in Stoke but he came very well recommended from some muso friends.

See ya soon bud... :rolleyes:[/quote]
JG..at rocket?....a friend of mine took a old stereo Trace Elliot AH500 (of mine that Ive posted problems about on here a few times) to this guy the other week after 2 other respected techs failed with it , seems ok now, fingers crossed. dunno fixing old amps is a minefield in fairness to techs!!
but a big +1 to JG
(till it goes wrong eh?) :)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='771115' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:38 PM']JG..at rocket?....a friend of mine took a old stereo Trace Elliot AH500 (of mine that Ive posted problems about on here a few times) to this guy the other week after 2 other respected techs failed with it , seems ok now, fingers crossed. dunno fixing old amps is a minefield in fairness to techs!!
but a big +1 to JG
(till it goes wrong eh?) :)[/quote]

Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience with JG, but i'm trusting my gut on this one..

Truth is I just haven't got time to take the amp to ANYONE at the moment, busy on tour, so don't hold your breath waiting for an answer to this one folks.... :rolleyes:

I'll get it to somebody as soon as I can....