Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mono Bass Compressors/Limiters?

pandathe3

Hi, i'm starting to build my rack up for more live use and the first thing on my list is a compressor (This and a tuner). I'm currently using BOSS LMB-3 for my 'compression' which does the job, but i'm after something with a bit more control.

But i'm having a hard time finding the right compressor for me. I'm still a bit unsure about compressors and i don't know what to 'look for' when choosing a rack compressor.
I've seen that most compressors are dual mono/stereo, i understand why (Studio use and the like) but i'm only going too be using half of what I've got on stage and i think thats a bit wasteful. Can you run your signal through both mono compressors one after the other?? Are there any bass/mono specific compressors that are fairly cheap and worth what your paying for it?? Or, can some explain why it'd be better to have a dual compressor??

I've heard DBX make a great range of compressors at a good price.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_3630_compressor_limiter.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_3630_compressor_limiter.htm[/url] this has caught my eye becuase of price, size and weight.

Edited by pandathe3

You could run your clean bass into one side, keeping the peaks down, then run your pedal board with at least 4 distortion pedals (you do have one, right?) into the other side, and compress it. Then blend them together or bi-amp it for maximum bite and punch.

No, i don't have any distortion pedals. But my pedal board runs alot of boosters (The Mole/LPB-1) which peak the sound, especially on the low end. but thats apart of my signal. I am planning a drive pedal of some sort soon and an octaver. I also play with an envelope filter, as the envelope runs off my playing dynamics, will it not be affected if my effects being in the loop with the compressor??

Also i want my gear to be a light as possible, and i wouldn't be able to fit a crossover. Hence the 3630. But i hear it clicks and cannot handle bass very well at all.

Are there any decent mono compressors out there??