Why become a member? ×

mesa 400+ tubes

jon H

Hi I need to re-tube my mesa 400+ its currently got mesa tubes but I dont want to use them again as they're so expensive! and its not got any warranty to void.
Any mesa 400+ owners on here? what are you running/ran/recommend??

Also I was thinking of tryng to sell it as it is, but as it needs re-tubing and setting up properly think it would be worth much? or should I get it running and then sell it?
Not sure what I should do. Not in a band so have no need for it :)

I used-

[url="https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=57"]https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?pa..._category_id=57[/url]

But with the £>$ it might not appear so cheap but the JJ Tube/Valves are a great product.

If your amp is fixed bias like most Mesa's, you'll need to get tubes that are firstly all matched and secondly are matched at an acceptable rating for your amp. An amp tech can advise and Watford can supply.

A +1 on the JJ valves - don't bother with the Mesa tubes - they're just re-branded Chinese ones. If you're near Surrey there's only one place to go - [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk"]http://www.stevesamps.co.uk[/url]

As for the value of the amp, as it is with no faults apart from the re-tube needed and if it's in good condition, you've got to be expecting more than £750 for it, probably more if the buyer can get cheap tubes.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='762593' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:10 AM']Watford Valves are doing a deal on a full 400+ valve set IIRC... Check 'em out.
From experience I've found it best to phone them for advice, prices, etc as their emailing is a bit sporadic.

ATB,
JTB[/quote]

thanks for the help guys!,
yeah 'Watford Valves' are doing a deal on a set of HARMA Cryo 5881's for £193! not bad atall.
Are they good valves?, or should I get JJ TESLA 6L6GC's??

Edited by jon H

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='763296' date='Mar 3 2010, 08:03 PM']probably overkill, not sure what benefits freezing the tubes offer on a stage when competing against a marshall stack and a wall of cymbals.[/quote]

but could I get a full "good set" cheaper elsewhere? I need it to be as salelable as posible! as I want to make my money back. I've got a flight case for the head, and a big cab for it (also in a flight case) think its an old mesa cab but not sure, its got a 15" at the bottom and a selection of speakers at the top! havent looked at it recently but I will dig it out and take a pic of it as someone on here will probably recognise/name it for me.

[quote name='jon H' post='763276' date='Mar 3 2010, 07:39 PM']thanks for the help guys!,
yeah 'Watford Valves' are doing a deal on a set of HARMA Cryo 5881's for £193! not bad atall.
Are they good valves?, or should I get JJ TESLA 6L6GC's??[/quote]

harma are a good choice, just get the non cryogenic type. I used these in my 400+ and they sound as good as originals. Watford were doing a matched 12 set for £144.

Edited by thebassman

I also had a matched set of Harmas from Watford valves, give them a ring and tell 'em your a baschatter. As far as I know, the valves I out in my 400+ about 4 years ago are still going strong.

ped

damn it, had a tech have a look at it and its a bit more f***ed than I thought! it basically needs all the biasing parts replaced (not too bad £6 each x12) and a few other not so good bits and pieces replaced, plus the retube. Think its had a very hard life and one or two not so good owners being so old!! think I need to wait for a couple more pay cheques before I tackle it! unless someone on here wants to take it on? will sell it cheap as it is now!