Why become a member? ×

How sad am I?

TRadford

We got asked to learn this for a student gig. I diligently learnt the bass line, but the rest of the band decided it was too corny.

I gained a little kudos with the audience by just playing the bassline while the others were switching off. Their loss.

Another vote for Yeah It's Bloody Great right here!
Learnt it for the band when we had both male and female vocals. Messed around three or 4 different keys, trying to find the one that suited both their voices with some register-hopping. Then the lady singer ups and leaves, so we have to punt round a few more keys... think I can now play it backwards, in any key, with my toes. While asleep :)

Awesome song, I've just learnt it for my band. We're doing a weird hybrid of the original and the Glee version (not that I've heard the Glee version).

Taught it to one of my pupils yesterday too, great way to explain why scales are useful :)

[quote name='TRadford' post='760828' date='Mar 1 2010, 03:38 PM']:)

I've let myself down, my family down, and most of all, you lot down..

Yes, I just learnt the bass line to "Dont stop believing"....

DAMN YOU GLEE!![/quote]

The shame is learning something you didnt want to or dont enjoy IMO.

Love the song myself, although i prefer the Family guy version.

Funny how when people dont like something they think everyone else feels that way ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='TRadford' post='761876' date='Mar 2 2010, 03:03 PM']Its not that, the Journey song is good. I like it very much. Its that blasted Glee version on every second of the day on the Radio.
I wouldnt have bothered learning it if I didnt like the original.[/quote]

Ah i see, so shame on you for likeing Glee then lol.

I've still not heard the Glee version (or seen the program). Ill have to go and investigate although i think i have a good idea what ill find.
Still, its probably a lot better than a lot of bands spew out when they try and murder classics......or maybe thats just my band.

Have you heard the Family Guy version? I cracked up when i saw it. Its not that its a clever take on the song or anything, its just the guys doing Karaoke to the original.

I havent seen the Family guy version yet, but sadly I dont think it will ever beat the best Family guy song by far...

Well everybody's heard about the bird !
Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !

Everybody's heard about the bird !

Don't you know about the bird?
Well everybody's heard about the bird !

Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! Yeah !

Well everybody's heard, about the bird !
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

Everybody's heard, about the bird !

Don't you know about the bird?
Well everybody's heard, about the bird !

Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! Yeah!

SURFIN' BIRD!!!!

Edited by TRadford

[quote name='Johngh' post='761710' date='Mar 2 2010, 12:23 PM']The original is an absolute classic. The Glee version is Sh*te. It's yet another example of the pop machine taking a classic tune and ruining it.
Were thinking of covering it. got a female singer so range isn't an issue :)[/quote]

Got a girly singer too so not a problem. About 6 months ago I suggested this song and it got put in the list of to-dos, then Glee came along and bang it's in. We do Alone by Heart and bugger me it turns up in Glee too! So a few weeks ago we decide to do More Than a Feeling-Boston and bugger me it turns up in an advert!!

Bugger me!!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='762110' date='Mar 2 2010, 07:13 PM']Got a girly singer too so not a problem. About 6 months ago I suggested this song and it got put in the list of to-dos, then Glee came along and bang it's in. We do Alone by Heart and bugger me it turns up in Glee too! So a few weeks ago we decide to do More Than a Feeling-Boston and bugger me it turns up in an advert!!

Bugger me!![/quote]

Thats a lot of buggering. Can you sit down lol

I'm on the "it's a great song" side.

The Glee version is pretty good and I thought their duet version of Heart's Alone was great. If the Glee version gets people listening to the originals then that must be a good thing.

By the way, if this was a guitarist forum they'd be pages and pages of "how can Neal Schon put a trem on a Les Paul" conversation.

[quote name='Sean' post='761028' date='Mar 1 2010, 07:31 PM']I play that bassline every Saturday night and some Fridays and it's just great. Nothing sad about that at all and if you can get near the tone in this video below, it's just fabalas, mun.[/quote]

There's some guy selling one o'them Ovation basses over here. He wants 800 quid for it though....