Why become a member? ×

fenders

Bucket Head

When I bought my Deluxe Jazz I went in looking for the cheapest decent sounding bass I could find for a studio session the next day, played a few and decided on a Precision in Blizzard Pearl (is that right?). Just because it was there, decided to have a play on the Delixe Jazz while I was waiting. It was 100% better quality, sound and feel to the Standard, had to have it. They had two in, I played both and they were the same, better than all the other MIMs in there, build quality was as I'd expect in US versions, and you could tell the difference in materials, right down to the grain in the neck maple. Highly recommended, I'm never selling mine, might upgrade the preamp one day, but never selling.

Edited by RussFM

[quote name='Bucket Head' post='758736' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:38 PM']just wondering what the differences are between the standard jazz and p basses and the deluxe versions other than them being active and haveing the extra controls and wether there worth the extra money in ur opinions cheers

thanks in advannnnnnnnnnnce[/quote]i cant talk for P basses but...

personally..and i mean personally... the standard Jazz bass is way better..the US deluxe is IMHO a not very nice J bass shape..they have scooped the lower horn, and i dont really like it..its like taking a ferrari and chopping off the bumper...

i played a US Deluxe Jazz, it did sound really nice..and had a nice slap tone.. but i didnt like the pre. the pups are ok on a standard or Deluxe, but they could be better......IMHO..its not what fender really concentrate on like smaller builders like LF, Bart, or Nordstrand do.........

..A fender jazz is a great sounding bass anyway but it can sound better depending on your taste i guess..

I would go for the standard Jazz...as pure a bass as you can get these days...if you want active, there are a lot of options to give you a killer super jazz sound,... passive or not........depending on your cash budget..

i have a jazz...i swapped the USA pups for Nordstrand NSJ4se's and it blows me away...amazing the difference..

So i would say no...IMO..although the US Deluxe jazzers are lovely, they are not worth the extra £...If your savy... you can get so much more for your £ for a sick Jazz...

i would go for a MIJ P or J...they are just as good as the US instruments at a fraction of the price...if not more consistent...

throw in some active/passive pups, or a sexy pre you got a serious sounding jazz bass

Edited by bubinga5

ha some mixed opinions i guess, what do people mean when they say mim jazz? also ive never heard of the classic series to be honest are they nice? also in reply to bubinga5 "i have a jazz...i swapped the USA pups for Nordstrand NSJ4se's and it blows me away...amazing the difference.." how much did it cost to get that done and get the pick ups and stuff ect

and also too russfm what type of music do u play with it and stuff

cheers for all the replys guys everyones always quality on this site

[quote name='Bucket Head' post='759236' date='Feb 27 2010, 04:54 PM']ha some mixed opinions i guess, what do people mean when they say mim jazz? also ive never heard of the classic series to be honest are they nice? also in reply to bubinga5 "i have a jazz...i swapped the USA pups for Nordstrand NSJ4se's and it blows me away...amazing the difference.." how much did it cost to get that done and get the pick ups and stuff ect

and also too russfm what type of music do u play with it and stuff

cheers for all the replys guys everyones always quality on this site[/quote]Ok,...BH.. MIM means made in mexico....The Nordstrand's cost me £200 and put them in myself..very easy to do with a soldering iron..the standard jazz is a great instrument, but the pups IMHO, arent the best voice for it...

with all Fender (although newer are better) try before you buy... :)

Edited by bubinga5

Your best bet is to play both and see which feels better to YOU. Pickups are easily changed and relatively cheap compared to a whole new bass. I now have 3 MIMs and I'm happy with all of them. The necks just felt more comfortable to me than the US standards they had in each time I bought one. The finishing was definitely better on the US models, but not £400 worth.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='759687' date='Feb 28 2010, 12:08 PM']Your best bet is to play both and see which feels better to YOU. Pickups are easily changed and relatively cheap compared to a whole new bass. I now have 3 MIMs and I'm happy with all of them. The necks just felt more comfortable to me than the US standards they had in each time I bought one. The finishing was definitely better on the US models, but not £400 worth.[/quote]

agree with that, i am happy with my MIM 2009 pbass, id love a USA made one, but its not worth the extra if comparing the new price