Why become a member? ×

Bad first rehearsals?

bubinga5

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='760300' date='Feb 28 2010, 11:24 PM']+1.

It's important to get stuff done (otherwise why bother) but I think if you're in a band for the long haul it's got to be fun hanging out with those people.[/quote]

couldnt agree more - nothing worse than being in a rehearsal room for 3 or hours with people you dont like and paying for it !!

Rehearsal is where you fine tune either covers or your originals and work out how to gel together as a band (if new) or make the tunes work with your band sound. Anything else is a jam, mess around, call it what you will. It isn't a rehearsal.
Different people respond to different situations, but the only questions you need to answer are

1 - what does the music sound like, and is it getting better/tighter as the rehearsal goes on?
2 - do I like these people and can I stand being in the same room as them? Leading to
3 - am I enjoying making this music?

No to any of those means to walk away - by all means take the number of any individual you might like to work with in another situation. Playing with people you don't particularly like and making crap music will do nothing for your ability or enthusiasm.

I wouldn't start smoking weed infront of someone I didn't know without warning them or scoping them out about it. That's pretty rude. Someone people would feel really awkward about it.

Having said that, I went to an audition and got really stoned with a band. It went pretty well.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='760757' date='Mar 1 2010, 02:15 PM']I wouldn't start smoking weed infront of someone I didn't know without warning them or scoping them out about it. That's pretty rude. Someone people would feel really awkward about it.

Having said that, I went to an audition and got really stoned with a band. It went pretty well.[/quote]

I think ... :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='760114' date='Feb 28 2010, 08:24 PM']Total opposite, if I'm not having fun I'm not doing it.

I have enough of work at work.[/quote]

Sort of agree.
Sometimes we'll go at it really intensely in a disciplined way for three or four hours and get loads done.
But as we're all enjoying ourselves it's fun even though it could technically be thought of as work.

Other times we'll just have an hour or so at the end when we'll play innapropriate covers or pastiche former band members.