Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

15 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I have NO IDEA what it actually sounds like - but I want to make one 

https://aionfx.com/project/l4-bass-preamp/

Bob Moog and Dan Pearce designed. Might be worth checking some youtube for the sound. FWIW I have a mate who had a lab amp back in the day (I think BB King had one or something?) and wasn't enamoured. But what would he know? He's a guitarist!

The trimmer is to set IC8b to a certain gain for a given input - my guess is it’s to set a level for the transistors overdriving - but that’s just a guess.

it’s not really taking me out of thing and make something else like a two channel fet2b and ROG ginger or something 

20 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Do you have an RD bass to put through it?

20 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Do you have an RD bass to put through it?

No, if they only work with Moog onboard preamps I'm fine, phew. Thanks for saving me!

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

The trimmer is to set IC8b to a certain gain for a given input - my guess is it’s to set a level for the transistors overdriving - but that’s just a guess.

it’s not really taking me out of thing and make something else like a two channel fet2b and ROG ginger or something 

There's more info in https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/l4_bass_preamp_documentation.pdf

1 hour ago, Badscrew said:

They don’t really explain the design choices

I guess they don’t have Bob Moog or his old team from the 70s on speed dial….

Aeon isn’t a bass player either so channel one is kinda fender like, and channel 2 is “different”

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Oh balls - I know I’m going to be pricing the parts up this week. Either a good idea or a bad!! 

I shall await your verdict with interest.

One minor point - I'm not sure if the documentation is wrong or the control is backwards, but it says the Mid control on channel 2 is counterclockwise for boost and clockwise for cut.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I shall await your verdict with interest.

One minor point - I'm not sure if the documentation is wrong or the control is backwards, but it says the Mid control on channel 2 is counterclockwise for boost and clockwise for cut.

That might be because it’s difficult to source reverse log pots. Did they use a normal log putting it backwards instead? This allows for a useful taper with a much more easy to find pot…

10 minutes ago, Badscrew said:

That might be because it’s difficult to source reverse log pots. Did they use a normal log putting it backwards instead? This allows for a useful taper with a much more easy to find pot…

No, it's linear taper.

21 minutes ago, Badscrew said:

Ouch. Then if it's indeed backwards, this means a screwup from whomever routed the board.

I mean it's @tauzero that spotted it - with my limited electronics expertise I don't understnad that bit of the circuit and I'm not even sure how he could tell! 

(edit though it's the same on the schematic as the older L5 preamp they have been selling for years) 

Edited by LukeFRC

so

one of the things I dislike about DIY is that a resistor issue cheap if I need lots, but mounts up if I only need a few of a given value, and the more likely a company is to have all the parts I need, the bigger volumes I need to buy. 
I switched with the last few projects from Musikding to CPC and Farnell and another one I forget the name of... 

So the rough cost of all the parts from CPC, Mouser and Musikding is coming too was about £80 - excluding knobs or PCB. Probably that would come down once I switched the CPC stuff to Mouser (I started on CPC, it was fine till I got to diodes and IC) and also when I crossed off any bits I already had
The expensive thing, other than the case, is the £12.50 TEC 3-0923 power converter - from 9v to +-15v  - given my cioks can do +15v there would be cheaper ways of getting a -15v from that but not without headaches.

not a cheap project