Why become a member? ×

Hi from Surrey

starman

Hi there everyone

I'm new to the bass, so I thought it would be good to join your forum.
I'm 43 and I've played guitar for years, but I've wanted a bass as well for quite a while so I got myself a 1978 Musicman Stingray and an Eden WT-300 head with an Aguilar GS112 cab. I'm really enjoying playing it.

All the best
Terry

Edited by starman

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='paul, the' post='87310' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:49 PM']'lo Terry. Welcome to't forum.

What makes guitarists want to become bassists?

I've never been a guitarist so I don't know the thought process. Intriguing stuff.[/quote]

Hi Paul
I've got a wide range of music that I like to listen to, and if I were looking for a band in any particular genre, it might be guitar that I would want to play rather than bass or vice versa. For instance I love 50's rockabilly, but I wouldn't want to play bass, It would have to be as a lead guitarist, whereas if it were a soul or Motown band, I would only want to play bass, playing soul guitar would not interest me at all. The players that made me want to play bass are mainly JJ Burnel, James Jamerson and Steve Currie from T.Rex.
I had listened to and admired bassists for many years, but as I had spent so much money on guitars (I had about 15 top quality guitars at one time and they must have cost me about 25k), it seemed crazy to suddenly want to play bass, but I swapped one of my guitars for a MM Stingray and haven't looked back so far.
I'd like to get a few more basses, but I'd always keep some of my guitars, it gives me twice the scope bandwise.
Bandmates have said to me 'Why the hell do you want to play a bass?', I really don't know, a well played funky bassline just appeals to me somehow.