Why become a member? ×

Sticker residue

rapscallion

White spirits is the only thing I can think of that won't harm your scratch plate. Apply liberably with a cloth and repeat a few times. Eventually you'll shift it.

Mark

You're probably not going to believe this, but I actually have a pot of "Sticky Stuff Remover" (I jest ye not!). I'm pretty sure we got it from Lakeland (as in the kitchen gadget people). You may also be able to get it from some of these craft hobby places. Does a fantastic job without the spell of white spirits or meths.

They sell something very similar at our local hardware shop, but it's £4.95 a bottle. Most households have got Meths or White Spirit locked away in the shed. I had to remove the residue left over after my Son removed all the stickers from his BMX (debranding?). As it was a chrome plated frame, I used cellulose thinners which removed the gunk in no time. Wouldn't recommend it on your scratch plate though. It'll melt it :)

I use ordinary furniture polish to remove the residue of stubborn price labels on CD cases. I can't see why it wouldn't work on your scratchplate. Works like a charm and smells nice to boot.

Failing that, if you've any old cassette tape head cleaner (Isopropyl Alcohol) lying around that should do the same trick but as they always say "try on a unobtrusive area first".

I work in a factory that makes fire detectors (with plastic cases). We use industrial strength meths to clean them prior to packing.

Apply liberally with a lint free cloth and then wipe off. Works a treat. Probably would be ok to use the same method with household stuff.