Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Coated Strings

Pete Academy

I think they are nickel, which I never usually use. They sound very punchy...lots of midrange, but nice and bright, too. They have lasted longer than other makes (for me, anyway), but I hate strings when they go even a bit dull.

My bass is a Roscoe SKB 5.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='751301' date='Feb 19 2010, 07:43 PM']I think they are nickel, which I never usually use. They sound very punchy...lots of midrange, but nice and bright, too. They have lasted longer than other makes (for me, anyway), but I hate strings when they go even a bit dull.

My bass is a Roscoe SKB 5.[/quote]

are they the group III's?

How do they compare to other coated strings, ie Elixirs (if you can comment?)

I've been using Elixirs now for just under a year pretty much exclusively, but would certainly be interested to know if the EBs are in any way comparable in terms of quality/tone.

[quote name='acidbass' post='753075' date='Feb 21 2010, 06:21 PM']How do they compare to other coated strings, ie Elixirs (if you can comment?)

I've been using Elixirs now for just under a year pretty much exclusively, but would certainly be interested to know if the EBs are in any way comparable in terms of quality/tone.[/quote]

The coating on Elixirs wears off, but the EBs seem not to.

I think strings are personal to each player. These just seem to work well for me. If you're used to shelling out for Elixirs, I would defo give them a try.

I have had the same set of Elixirs on for over a year and they still sound new, and the coasting hasn't come off at all (but I never use a pick and play lightly) - I would give the EB strings a try for fun but they don't seem to make a .040 set?

ped

[quote name='ped' post='753113' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:04 PM']I have had the same set of Elixirs on for over a year and they still sound new, and the coasting hasn't come off at all (but I never use a pick and play lightly) - I would give the EB strings a try for fun but they don't seem to make a .040 set?

ped[/quote]

Unfortunately they don't, Ped. I was a 40s man but have now strayed back to 45s. They sound better, anyway. :)

[quote name='ped' post='753113' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:04 PM']I have had the same set of Elixirs on for over a year and they still sound new, and the coasting hasn't come off at all (but I never use a pick and play lightly) - I would give the EB strings a try for fun but they don't seem to make a .040 set?

ped[/quote]

BTW, you say the coasting hasn't come off. What about the coating? I'm intrigued. :)

+ 1 to that. My set of Elixir's has been on for ages now and they still sound fantastic. The coating has come off a bit by the bridge where I play but it does not feel weird or effect the tone at all so I just carry on regardless!

[quote name='MythSte' post='753181' date='Feb 21 2010, 08:00 PM']Aye, Ive been using Elixers forever now so these do interest me. But having said thath im in the same boat as Ped, Been using my elixirs nearly a year and they sound new... And i really do dig in.[/quote]

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='751285' date='Feb 19 2010, 07:28 PM']I've been searching for the ultimate string for many years. I've tried 'em all, but none seem to last, even the coated ones. However, I think I've finally found the Holy Grail with the Ernie Ball coated. And they feel great to play, too.

Not cheap, but highly recommended. :)[/quote]

I've bought 2 sets and didn't like them so I went back to using the uncoated ones #2836.

Which means I have a set here for sale if anyone fancies them before they hit the bay, these are the ref# 3836, 5 strings set, and of course they are brand new still sealed in the foil bag.

I will sell them at the price that matches the lowest current ebay sale for these strings as you can see here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-Coated-Regular-Slinky-5-String-Bass-45-130_W0QQitemZ190347159709QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item2c5193289d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-Coated-Re...=item2c5193289d[/url]

Yours for £30 all in - including free delivery to mainland UK - pm me if interested. Thanks,

Please take them off me so I can get another set of #2836 instead. Cheers

They do what they outline to do but the only problem I've had with them, is the strange dry feel to the fingertips that the enamel coating gives, they're a bit "marmite" some people might love them other loath 'em.

Here is the set for sale

Edited by bass5