Why become a member? ×

Thru body Stringing CONVERSION

mic mac moe

I'm not sure that is really.

I have a MIA deluxe precision with the option of through body stringing.

Have tried stringing both ways and couldn't hear any difference. Well maybe a slight difference, but certainly not enough to be noticeable in a gigging situation.

I'm sure there will be plenty out there with a different perspective though.

Some people think it does nothing and others will proclaim through body stringing changes their bass from a lifeless plank into the best instrument they've ever played!

It's allot of work for something that [i]could[/i] prove to make no difference - if you've got a few quid you want to throw at your bass to improve the sound you'd get better results buying a new pickup or a tone circuit.

[quote name='bass5' post='751721' date='Feb 20 2010, 12:47 PM']Also you must take into account that with strings going through the body extra string length is used and as a result not all string makers offer long scale strings which means on an all-in-line headstock you might not have enough length for the G strings to wrap around the post.[/quote]

More common issue I've found is the E string gets narrow before it reaches the nut.

I've converted a few of my basses to through stringing, try and get the longer/deeper ferrules, so string length is less of an issue. And use sharp ddrills to not wreck your finish.

I wondered about this with my MIM precision, as I heard it can also give a bass more thump, as the full weight of the wood is behind the strings, if you will. I was quoted £100 by a local luthier and while I thought that was quite good, I decided against as I figured I could get replacement pickups and bridge for that price. I also figured it's probably better to leave the mexican as a mexican, as in time i'll probably get an American Precision.