Why become a member? ×

What's that effect

davidmpires

It sounds like an envelope phaser to me....

It could be done with a very carefully set up phaser, but the phase in the original always starts from the same place, which is not normal for a vco controlled device.

Did that make any sense???

Course some clever dick will turn around and prove it was a tremelo now :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='747335' date='Feb 16 2010, 03:25 PM']It could be done with a very carefully set up phaser, but the phase in the original always starts from the same place, which is not normal for a vco controlled device.[/quote]
That probably means it was played once then cut & pasted.

[quote name='RhysP' post='747429' date='Feb 16 2010, 04:42 PM']That probably means it was played once then cut & pasted.[/quote]

Possibly, or just using an envelope following phaser - they arent so rare!

Also, this is Lenny 'we dont need no stinkin digital' Kravitz, so it may be tape cutting, but it aint protools!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='davidmpires' post='747431' date='Feb 16 2010, 04:45 PM']So what's the best way to emulate the sound? With an envelope filter?[/quote]

Hmmmm, well it sounds more phased to me.

An envelope foloower wont have the same timbre, and I think that would probably be more noticeable than having the rate slightly off as it were.

I'd try a regular phaser, or the TriMod jobby, that is not only envelope following, but you can use an accelerometer too if you like (not that I've found a use for it yet).

If I get the time (*BIG if!*) I'll have a go with my trimod phaser and see how close I can get to it....

I recreated something VERY close back in college when I had to play this for my diploma...

I had a DOD FX25b evelope filter and a DOD Phaser (can't remember what FX code it was), took a bit of time to get the filter sweep set to the tempo so it runs it's course between notes but it sounded spot on. The phaser was very little in terms of sweep, just to add flavour and phasing at the same speed as the filter.

Was cheap well as back then I bought the pedals for £30 each brand new :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='747808' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:14 PM']I recreated something VERY close back in college when I had to play this for my diploma...

I had a DOD FX25b evelope filter and a DOD Phaser (can't remember what FX code it was), took a bit of time to get the filter sweep set to the tempo so it runs it's course between notes but it sounded spot on. The phaser was very little in terms of sweep, just to add flavour and phasing at the same speed as the filter.

Was cheap well as back then I bought the pedals for £30 each brand new :)[/quote]

Yup that would get right in the ballpark I bet!

Daft of me not to suggest it, I got an amazing phased and filtered fingerstyle tone with a Maxon AF9 and the TriMod doohickey the other day (oh and an MXR stereo chorus), really superb. Not the same as this, but it was fingerstyle, I can definitely see how you could tweak the sweeps to match up.

Good call!

I've played this (badly, I might add!!) through my Digitech envelope pedal and got a good approximation to Lenny's effect - not perfect but close enough for Government work :)

I've tried fiddling around with the settings - I would try using the effect-only output into a clean channel, and pass the normal signal through to a SansAmp for the grittier parts in the verse for example, or blend the two together.

Anyway, that's inspired me to go away and learn the part again. Been a while since I've played it!

Let us know how it pans out

Ian