Why become a member? ×

Budget 5+ string basses (ERBs)

mgibson

Ey! A fellow Norwich-ite!

I'm not sure if you can still get them, but I hade a couple of Tobias Pro-6 basses for a while - and they came right down in price when a Bubinga bodied version hit the market some years ago. I'd also recommend the cheaper Spector basses too, also availble in a 6 string version as well as 5. Yamaha and Ibanez both make great budget 5 & 6 strings too. I'm not a fan of Warwick basses personally, but I think that the RockBass range were actually rather good!

Your best bet however is to trawl the For Sale pages for a second hand 'high spec' bass - as you are probably going to get more for your money that way. I haven't looked in the Bass Guitars section for a little while though, so can't make any recommendations straight away!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='744410' date='Feb 14 2010, 12:16 AM']Schecter Studio are stunning for the money.[/quote]
Can't vouch for a Schecter Studio as I don't have that one, but I [i]think[/i] my Schecter Custom 5 is in the price range slightly below that. I don't think the differences are too numerous - pickups are probably the main one?

Anyway, pound for pound, a lot of Schecters are great value. If you can find one in the UK, a Custom 5 retails at around £400. I happened to get lucky on eBay with a nearly new one which was just shy of £300.

I have few complaints about it other than the slight neck dive, presumably owing to its ridiculously light body and the super long scale neck. It's probably an easily remedied problem, but I just haven't got round to fixing it. In every other aspect it's very good. Three of its strongest assets are arguably its versatile range of tones, comfortable string spacing and the fast neck.

I can recommend you give the Peavey BXP a look too. Through neck construction and laminated neck for £370.
Apparently they can be a bit variable in quality, so it's worth trying a couple out, but there are a lot of good ones out there (mine's a peach :) )
The 35" scale really improves the B string sound too.

A

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='744304' date='Feb 13 2010, 08:30 PM']Look at Ibanez, I have a BTB406QM and I can't see any reason why I'd ever want to upgrade. Only cost around £500 for the equivalent that's around now too and some beautiful woods.[/quote]
+1

I have one of these too and they're great for the price. Will be selling it soon on this forum! :-)