Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a second hand combo?

JordanRLS

Hey all, i've been playing bass for 5 months or so, and i feel it's time to move on from the little 10 watt amp my first bass came with, about time too!
So, i have a very small budget (under £100 would be ideal) and am therefore looking into second hand. If possible i need as many recommendations for 2nd hand combos that would be worth the effort as i will be going around the local music shops hunting next week. thanks in advance.

[quote name='JordanRLS' post='741484' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:29 PM']The thing is, there's no chance of joining a band for a long while yet, what with gcse's. and i think i'm right in believing a 200watt amp would be well above my price range. but there's every chance i could be wrong about anything, which is why im asking :rolleyes:[/quote]

I think you've got a good chance of getting a good deal on here. Don't forget ,you can sell /trade your
small amp you have now :lol: I know I said 'band situation' , but you know how loud drummers/guitarists are :) Even when jamming.
Good luck with the gcse's and amp :lol:

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I have an oldish Carlsbro Bassline 150 that's easily loud enough to play with a band (I've played gigs without going through the PA before plenty of times) and would probably be £150ish. I need to check the volume pot though since it needs to be gaffa taped at the moment to stop it vibrating and cutting out some.

If I get it sorted soonish, I'll let you know if you're interested in it.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='742126' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:34 PM']I have a crate bt-50 I could let go cheapish, it can (just about) keep up with a quiet drummer etc.

I think its a part of the ampeg group as it has the same built in tuner lol.

It's not an 8x10 but its a start.[/quote]

Youy see a good few Trace Elliot combos about going dirt cheap. Heavy (hence the cheap) , but imo often louder than their rating.

[quote name='fatback' post='742263' date='Feb 11 2010, 04:43 PM']Youy see a good few Trace Elliot combos about going dirt cheap. Heavy (hence the cheap) , but imo often louder than their rating.[/quote]

Yeah, that's be where my money would go - on an old heavyweiht combo.

Sods law says there will be none around when you want one tho.

One man's meat is another man's poison. For a while in the 2000s 'Trace Elliot' were dirty words that you felt ashamed to say. But I've always felt they offered a good punchy tone, if a little 'rock' (ie not totally clean)...reconfirmed for me the other day when auditioning a BFM Jack 10 cabinet using a Trace AH300 (it sounded awesome btw). Never liked the Crates, or the smaller GK stuff. And I had a 1000w HH head which was the worst, nastiest-sounding amp I ever heard!

But I started out with an Ashdown Electric Blue 12" 150, which has a very useable tone not a million miles away from a good Trace Elliot. Apparently the more modern 180w versions are made in China and suffer reliability problems. Mine is an earlier version made in the UK and has survived some brutal abuse at pub jams. I've seen these go for around £120, maybe less, and I haven't heard an amp which offers a better balance between tone, portability and price. Other modern models at this end of the market seem to lack the depth/punch although they may have a more sparkling top-end (though the Ashdown does well enough for me, and I like a well-defined funk sound with a bit of 'zing').

More information about the music/bass sounds you like would probably help people make more targeted recommendations...different combos sound very different indeed. And what bass you have as well.

Edited by LawrenceH

Reading the OP's posts again, I think it's probably a good idea not to get an amp for a while actually.

If you have no chance of playing with a band, is there any reason why you really need one?

At the budget you're looking for (being honest) you're not going to end up with a very good amp that can do the job well. That and a bigger amp (obviously) is louder and takes up more room. People use bigger amps because they're needed at practices and gigs. At home I still usually use a little 10w Kustom combo because it's way less hassle than a big amp and it still sounds fine.

You're better off saving up while you're doing your GCSEs then when they're finished you can reward yourself with a new amp and hopefully get in a band with it. :)

Trust me, 6 months down the line when you're auditioning for a band, you're going to be kicking yourself when you realise that the 80w combo you bought on a very tight budget isn't loud enough and you could've chucked in another couple of hundred and got a fairly nice combo.