Why become a member? ×

Medium weight rig?

waynepunkdude

I love my SVT but the whole rig weighs well over 100KG and I love using that for my band (and I'm not selling it) but I'm gonna be doing depping soon and I don't fancy lifting it all by myself all the time so I need a medium weight rig, I don't mind lifting but not that much.

Budget probably £500-750

Sound: punchy and low

Combo or separates couldn't care either way as long as it sounds alright.

Wayne, if you can find one, a Mesa Walkabout combo is the absolute dog's danglies. Valve tone, as loud as you could possibly need, and very portable (~50lbs) ... even for a glass-backed wuss like me. Second hand ones tend to be around the top of your budget range (I picked up mine for about £700)

Edited by Clarky

I am really loving my 1u digital poweramp and my SWR compact cabs (one 4x8 and one 1x15) they sound sweet and are not half as bad as a 4x10 and standard 1x15. Not THAT light but not too heavy either. The whole setup cost about £300, too...

ped

[quote name='Clarky' post='738449' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:53 PM']Wayne, if you can find one, a Mesa Walkabout combo is the absolute dog's danglies. Valve tone, as loud as you could possibly need, and very portable (~50lbs) ... even for a glass-backed wuss like me. Second hand ones tend to be around the top of your budget range (I picked up mine for about £700)[/quote]

I should have had a try of one of those when I was in the Gallery, I will next time.

[quote name='ped' post='738454' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:57 PM']I am really loving my 1u digital poweramp and my SWR compact cabs (one 4x8 and one 1x15) they sound sweet and are not half as bad as a 4x10 and standard 1x15. Not THAT light but not too heavy either. The whole setup cost about £300, too...

ped[/quote]

Could I use my DHA pre in that set-up?

Yeah, the poweramp has XLR or 1/4" inputs. I run it in stereo; one side driving the 4x8 and the other with the 1x15 giving me independent vol control over each cab. I was REALLY impressed with the way it filled the auditorium during my demo at the SE Bass Bash. I think it sounded better than my old Mesa rig.

ped

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='738473' date='Feb 7 2010, 09:10 PM']I use a 70's Bassman 100 and an Ampeg 1x15 for mine. Head was £575 cab was £250, a little over what you wanna spend but if you can justify it (and find a Bassman) well worth the extra money.[/quote]

I wouldn't be too up for a vintage head due to my own paranoia that it would blow up (I know I'm an idiot)

Have you got a pic of your rig, Ped?

Hi Wayne

You may remember that you got the SVT from me as I wanted a smaller lighter spare rig for much the same reasons as yourself!

I still have the big Boogie/SWR rig for the band with the big van but for smaller gigs Ipicked up a s/h markbass 3x10 combo

I always thought that the markbass was a compromise and I think that you said you were not convinced by MB, but it is worth considering because: a) it's reasonably light and I can get it into the back of my not particularly practical car; :) it's plenty loud enough for any gig; and c) everyone I've played with since I got it have been impressed with the sound of it and through I prefer the boogie or the SVT, I have to say that it does get the job done and does not sound at all bad!

Cheers - Pete

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='738553' date='Feb 7 2010, 10:33 PM']Have you got a pic of your rig, Ped?[/quote]

Not a very good one I'm afraid but you can see it behind and to the left of this pic from the SEBB

I'm very pleased with it. I don't think SWR make those cabs any more though.

ped

There's this one from the eBay thread:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GALLIEN-KRUEGER-2001RB-BASS-AMP-HEAD-AND-410-RBX-CAB_W0QQitemZ300394786710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item45f0ecaf96"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GALLIEN-KRUEGER-2001...=item45f0ecaf96[/url]

In brighton though

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='738699' date='Feb 8 2010, 09:02 AM']There's this one from the eBay thread:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GALLIEN-KRUEGER-2001RB-BASS-AMP-HEAD-AND-410-RBX-CAB_W0QQitemZ300394786710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item45f0ecaf96"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GALLIEN-KRUEGER-2001...=item45f0ecaf96[/url]

In brighton though[/quote]

I did see that but G&K isn't really for me, cheers for the link though buddy.

I defiantly interested by the idea of a power amp as I already have a pre-amp I like but have no use for.

Are all power amps the same with different power?

As Peteb said, the 3x10 MarkBass combo is pretty sweet. I had one before switching to a LMII and Aguilar GS112 cabs, which I only did to be modular - I really wish I could get a MB 3x10 cab as they are a great trade off between volume and weight. Sonic punch is fantastic from them, and they have a fantastic presence that can be heard really well on a busy stage (I used mine mostly with my 10 piece sould/r&b band). You'd be able to get one of them second hand from your budget, and one would fit in a Corsa. I took mine around in my Mini.

Another thought: I had a MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo (1x15, 500W). Very portable and very loud. Great combo but lacking in one respect, it doesn't do dirty/overdriven so best to use a pedal with it for more raunchy sounds. It does everything else though from glassy through to warm, rounded tones. Generally go for £500-600-ish in vgc.

You may start wearing elastic waisted jeans and white hi-tops though :)

I sold one to get the Mesa because I wanted valve tone. The same effect can be achieved though with the right pedal and the advantage is there are more of these combos floating around than Walkabouts

Edited by Clarky